Hayes Stroker Trail issues

LEX

Likes Dirt
I have 2010 Hayes Strokers on my trail bike and they keep loosing power/pad contact point. After the first lap the brakes go from working perfectly to the leavers almost at the bar. Iv bleed them twice now and it's always the same story.
Any ideas?

JonnyH

Likes Bikes
Sounds like you have a leak somewhere. Have you tried new seals in the caliper?

I found these brakes very fiddly to bleed properly - LBS seemed to have more experience/success!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madstace

Likes Dirt
Sounds like you have a leak somewhere. Have you tried new seals in the caliper?

I found these brakes very fiddly to bleed properly
I'm with Jonny on both fronts. I was never a big fan of my Strokers, decent modulation but a bit lacking in power and could be inconsistent.

I know it's the boring answer, and is repeated ad nauseum here, but the answer is upgrading to Shimano brakes. Even the Deore level brakes are great performers and are dirt cheap on CRC or Merlin at the moment. I love my XTs and won't use another brake now.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't listen to these Shimano lovers about upgrading unnecessarily. If you like the Strokers and want to keep them, you just have to give them a little love. I'm still using Stroker Ace's and they do a commendable job.

You probably don't need piston seals yet as there are a few things you can try to improve your bleed method.

1) remove the bleed nipple from the caliper, clean up the tread and put one thin layer of plummets tape around the thread. It's fiddly but try and make it clean and tidy then reinsert.
I've found this was where small amounts of air was entering the system when I bled my brakes. Also when bleeding, only turn the nipple out 1/8-1/4 a turn, that's all it needs.

2) when pushing brake fluid into the caliper, I unbolted the caliper from the frame so I could twist it around a bit. I found that air bubble got caught in the caliper and wouldn't come out unless I turned it upside down and on the sides whilst squeezing fluid into it.

3) after you have all the air out of the caliper, you need to turn the lever upward on the bars so as to get any residual air out of the lever. You can also flick the lever back to the bars and release and bubbles usually come out then as well.

If you do steps 2 and 3 thoroughly and don't be scared about going through a bit of fluid, you should get them right. I haven't had to bleed my Stroker Aces in several years and I'm not having any issues with them. I had Trails before them and they were very good too once they had a good bleed.

Hope this helps you. If not, bring your steed up to Newcastle and I'll have a crack at it for you.

JonnyH

Likes Bikes
I'm with Jonny on both fronts. I was never a big fan of my Strokers, decent modulation but a bit lacking in power and could be inconsistent.

I know it's the boring answer, and is repeated ad nauseum here, but the answer is upgrading to Shimano brakes. Even the Deore level brakes are great performers and are dirt cheap on CRC or Merlin at the moment. I love my XTs and won't use another brake now.
I run XT's on one bike and Stroker Trails on the other. The Strokers are now 8 years old. As noted above, the XT's have waaaaaay more power, but the modulation on the Strokers is excellent. I had to do a piston rebuild a couple of years ago, and also got the problem with the sticky lever (google it - pretty common but an easy fix), however overall I do rate the Strokers. The modualtion is great and they are pretty reliable once bled properly, just not as powerful as the new Shimano offerings (that said they are a pretty old design now).

Jonny

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt

+1. I had strokers on my Stereo when I first bought it, and they sucked, bordering on dangerous...........full stop. Got XT's now and love em. Slightly off question topic, but just putting it out there. Good luck with them!

Zam

Likes Dirt
I have had Hayes Carbon on my previous HT and the newer Hayes Stroker Carbons on my newer (2009) S-works and they have been fantastic, haven't had any issues with my current Carbons and I have had the bike 3yrs, good stopping power and haven't had to rebuild or bleed them, fingers crossed.

wotsis

Likes Dirt
A couple of years ago, two of us had Stroker Trails for a while and we both developed different faults. Had two different shops try to sort them out. And we both moved to different brands (Hope and Shimano) and haven't looked back.

Given the incredibly low price of a pair of SLX brakes, their power, modulation and low chance of having to faff in the future, to me the choice is obvious. I'd say stick with the Strokers only if if you enjoy fixing things or have absolutely no budget.

Strokers seem to work for some people, but they seem pretty hit-or-miss overall.

madstace

Likes Dirt
Don't listen to these Shimano lovers about upgrading unnecessarily. If you like the Strokers and want to keep them, you just have to give them a little love. I'm still using Stroker Ace's and they do a commendable job.
They were really nice SLX brakes you had on your bike today :eyebrows:

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They were really nice SLX brakes you had on your bike today :eyebrows:

It was a trial run and I might be a bit partial to them. Not as much max power as the Aces but there is enough.

The Aces will be relegated to the street bike.

Last edited: