headset problems

madmanmark82

Likes Dirt
Hey
Just got my forks back from a service
and was re-installing them when i started having problems geting the headset tight (with out play) and stilling having the steering free.
The headsets a dh pig pro and is only 1month old.
There where no problems with it untill now, i did it up that smallest amount and theres play in the top cap so i keep doing it up slowing untill theres no more play and the steering is realy tight and wont turn on its own.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be
thanks alot ;)

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
If you have the stem or top spacer seated 3-5mm above the steerer this helps to clamp the headset together more efficiently, If you have the top cap sitting directly on the top of the steerer you wont get the same amount of compression because the top cap has nothing to push down on.

Also when you are tightening a headset make sure you either push down on the bars to make sure all the headset parts line up straight and lock into each other or you can push your front wheel up against a solid object ie. a brick wall and put your weight forward on the bike to achieve the same result.

I have found that some top caps do have a little side to side play but there was no steerer play in the headset which is the most important thing. As long as the bolt is tight and the steerer itself doesn't have any forward or backwards movement in the headtube you should be ok.

Also don't tighten the stem clamp bolts until you have the hedset seated properly, if you clamp the stem before doing the compression the stem cant move down the steerer.

madmanmark82

Likes Dirt
thanks alot mate.
As i read that i rememberd i had a spacer under the stem before :rolleyes:
and i put it on with out one there :rolleyes:
thanks alot, i will try it later and hopfully this is why ;)