Helmet Camera's

sedifus

Likes Dirt
Got some new cameras we're testing at work currently. Maybe not as many features as the Go Pros or Contuor cameras but great quality (720p HD) for a sick price. W
Took a test video on the way home from work today and trimmed it in Windows Movie Maker to show some footage.

[video=vimeo;36135679]http://vimeo.com/36135679[/video]

One other thing I have heard is that the 170 deg lenses look too fish-eyed and that your better off going for the 127 deg or 135 deg lenses. Any opinions???

Mr Pants

skanky media ho
GoPro camera stolen

Where: Stromlo Downhill track
When: National series Sunday 5 February

If anyone 'accidently' picked up a GoPro camera that was located about 100 meters from the finish of the downhill course, SBS TV would really like it back so that we can make the TV coverage that is going to air next weekend.

As there was also another camera shooting up the course from the finish, we have you on camera... so unless you want the police to pay you a visit, we suggest you EXPRESS post it to PO Box 7241 Warringah Mall, NSW 2100.

PM me if you 'know anything', all information will remain confidential.

scblack

Leucocholic
Any idea's for a cheap, light headcam to wear for commuting on the road? Just want to have it in case of incidents in traffic etc.

Will be worn for riding the roadie to work, and not really at all other than that. So cheap is good, does not have to be HD at all and to be helmet mounted. To have capacity to record for up to 2hours.

Any options?

Last edited:

leadz

Likes Bikes
helmet cams

Any idea's for a cheap, light headcam to wear for commuting on the road? Just want to have it in case of incidents in traffic etc.

Will be worn for riding the roadie to work, and not really at all other than that. So cheap is good, does not have to be HD at all and to be helmet mounted. To have capacity to record for up to 2hours.

Any options?
Head down to jaycar electronics they have helmet cam's from $49 bucks to $199 for the 1080p HD camera. i have the $70 one that shoot's at 720p and i use it for downhill and it work fine.

cheers laedz.

RaceRecall

Likes Bikes

RaceRecall

Likes Bikes
You might like to try the new Liquid Image EGO for $199. It tiny, and has built in wifi and the video quality is excellent

RaceRecall.com
6/25-41 Redwood Drive Dingley Village VIC 3172
Australia
(03) 9017 7813

scblack

Leucocholic
I ended up being given a GoPro 2HD. Cool camera. Cheers Guys.

BUT its way too heavy to stick on a XC helmet for roadie commuting. So I wont bother using it to record in case of traffic incidents.

scblack

Leucocholic
It is? They aren't that heavy.. But why don't you mount it to your head tube or bars?
I find after an hour's riding, its VERY noticeable on the head. And means that I have to cinch the helmet tight to stay still - that tightness eventually begins to hurt from clamping on the forehead.

Can't go on the bars, as I have Cinelli Neo Morphe bars, with a narrow round section either side of the stem, then a odd shaped section for cables to fit through. Each side has a cycle computer and a headlight filling that round section.

Possibly could mount on the stem though.

But probably wont worry.

dunndog

Eats Squid
I find after an hour's riding, its VERY noticeable on the head. And means that I have to cinch the helmet tight to stay still - that tightness eventually begins to hurt from clamping on the forehead.
Ah ok.. Can't say mine has ever spent that amount of time on my helmet.

downhillar

Likes Dirt
You can get a chest mount for them, maybe that would be best for you?

I wear mine on the tip of the visor on my motorcross helmet so it acts as a nice big lever on my neck, after a couple of hours you really start to notice the weight!!

scblack

Leucocholic
You can get a chest mount for them, maybe that would be best for you?

I wear mine on the tip of the visor on my motorcross helmet so it acts as a nice big lever on my neck, after a couple of hours you really start to notice the weight!!
I have the chest mount, helmet mount and handlebar mount.

Will not be using the chest mount for roadie riding, just DH. The straps would make sweat build up.

Handlebar mount as I said maybe could fit on stem.

Helmet mount is out as I said above.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Last edited:
I currently have a contour roam 2 and it is awesome. Some pros about it are that it is half the price of the GoPro black edition, it it reasonably small and it water proof. It comes in cool colours and it does 720@60fps & 30fps and 1080@30fps. The 720 can be a little fuzzy when riding through light and dark places. It has laser alignment but is a bit useless as the laser isn't bright enough to see in the day. The mounts are good as well. But if you want a million mounts and accessories pick GoPro as loads of accessories have been made for it. Contour, not so much.

I would recommend Contour purely because of the value for money but if you are willing to spend more money then get a GoPro.

Hope this helps!

Gspot-Sniper

Likes Dirt
I like the contour cameras. They are compact, don't need a cover cause
They are waterproof already. And the footage I have seen from mates
Always looks sweet.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Despite the grammar error in the title which continues to stare into my soul, I feel compelled to post here rather than start a new thread.
Increasingly I've found myself wanting to record my rides, and have been checking out the various 'action cameras' that are available.

I can't seem to feel happy settling for the GoPro white, when there's that fancy black one to be had, which is just stupidly expensive.
So I ended up looking at GoPro alternatives today on my lunch break, and discovered the Contour Roam 2.

I've discovered one for $200 with free helmet mounts thrown in, and I'm pretty happy with the price, and the quality of the video I've seen on YouTube.

I am wondering if many of you 'RotorBros' are using one, and what your thoughts on it are.
There's one response above, and the only thing that irks me is 30fps for 1080p... but in the end that doesn't really matter because YouTube doesn't do 60fps anyway (yet).

Most helmet, and all bar mounted videos make me supremely angry, so I'm curious to hear experiences with the various mounts available.
I've always been a fan of the GoPro chesty view, but the shape of the Contour tells me it wouldn't work so well from that position.