Helmet suggestions?

Dilstub

Likes Dirt
After suggestions on a good AM helmet. For the last few years I've just invested in a good skiing helmet and used that for the BMX/MTB and through winter. This worked pretty well, although now that I'm no longer riding DH and need a new skiing helmet, I'm wondering whether it's worth getting a dedicated bmx/snow helmet and another of these 'enduro' lids that seem to be popping up everywhere. I'm having a hard time finding a dedicated MTB helmet that is multi-impact rated, MIPS, and is under 250 though, whereas with a ski lid that's an easy checklist (and can be done for $100 if I ignore the MIPS part). The new POC tectal looks sick and is everything bar multi-impact, but $300 is steep and I'll still have to front another $1-200 for a second helmet on top of that.

Opinions? Is the almost 300g trail lid lighter helmet going to be an earth-shattering change? Is multi-impact rated something that's really relevant in a AM helmet? Anything else worth considering?
Looking like a fuckwit in a ski helmet isn't an issue, I manage that just fine regardless of headwear.

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
When I was in 99bikes a month or so, they had MET parachute helmets for $217.00 I thought it looked like a good deal.

They get good reviews. Eventually I'm going to have to buy a full face, the wife is getting uneasy about me riding without one.

-Shaun

Dilstub

Likes Dirt
I've still got my POC fullface, although most of my rides are so pedally now that it never gets used.

I'll check out the MET, thanks for the heads up!

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
I use a Bell Super, it's great - and I'll use it for skiing in winter too (it'll fit a beanie underneath just nice). So one helmet for all (except rock climbing, that needs a different type of brain protector).

I'm not concerned about multi-impact - I lean toward binning a helmet anyway if I hit my head hard. Also, after a hard noggin whack I'm pretty much done for the day, it's limp home time. Like NeoNasty, I'm looking at a Parachute for racing (also a one hit wonder, but hey - heads are precious!). Even if I broke a helmet every six months, I'd consider them great insurance. I've broken a few over the years, and I'm really happy that they're designed to collapse and absorb impact.

That tectal does look nice though....

haltz

Likes Dirt
Just got a giro montaro, giro helmets, full faces included are just another level for comfort and breathing, maybe just my head but if you can spare the 250ish depending where you shop then get on one

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Dilstub

Likes Dirt
I use a Bell Super, it's great - and I'll use it for skiing in winter too (it'll fit a beanie underneath just nice). So one helmet for all (except rock climbing, that needs a different type of brain protector).

I'm not concerned about multi-impact - I lean toward binning a helmet anyway if I hit my head hard. Also, after a hard noggin whack I'm pretty much done for the day, it's limp home time. Like NeoNasty, I'm looking at a Parachute for racing (also a one hit wonder, but hey - heads are precious!). Even if I broke a helmet every six months, I'd consider them great insurance. I've broken a few over the years, and I'm really happy that they're designed to collapse and absorb impact.

That tectal does look nice though....

The multi-impact thing has paid itself off over and over for me on bmx/ski helmets and given POC's rep for ski helmets I'm happy to trust that my helmet is good for 6-8 decent hits. Everything I've owned from them has been really high quality. I just dunno if it's worth having on an AM lid, as you're spending a lot more time pedalling and less time pushing your limits like you would riding DH. I don't race so that's not a consideration for me.

The montaro does look good and it's on the shortlist alongside the tectal. whereabouts did you get yours in Melbourne?

bh78

Likes Dirt
I've just picked up a Super 2R MIPS, one ride in and I like it - chin bar will be handy on the bigger down days

Dilstub

Likes Dirt
did a little research: current options are the forefront at $250( can get the white/lime and some small sizes for $150), tectal for $300, and the montaro mips at $225.

opinions?

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Specialized Ambush? It's the most comfortable trail helmet iv'e ever had. Light and breathes well too.

Dilstub

Likes Dirt
Specialized Ambush? It's the most comfortable trail helmet iv'e ever had. Light and breathes well too.
how much am i looking at for one?
I've got a POC auric on order as a new bmx lid too, decided against trying to get one helmet for everything

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
TLD A1 is by far the most comfortable I have ever worn, but it is also incredibly hot. When I take it off at the end of a ride it is like a bucket of sweat. Not sure why it's so hot, the venting looks adequate, but damn it fits my head like a glove so I put up with it..

+1 for the Ambush. I got one because my Bell Super wasn't that great in warm to hot weather - when the Bell padding reached saturation point it would drip sweat down my forehead into my eyes. No such problems with the Ambush. The Bell Super still comes out on colder sub 12 degree days when the Ambush is bit too well ventilated.

Dilstub

Likes Dirt
TLD A1 is by far the most comfortable I have ever worn, but it is also incredibly hot. When I take it off at the end of a ride it is like a bucket of sweat. Not sure why it's so hot, the venting looks adequate, but damn it fits my head like a glove so I put up with it..
Getting too hot is like 80% of why I'm buying a second mtb-specific helmet haha. Thanks for the feedback, I'll avoid the A1.

NickR

Likes Dirt
Met Parachute

Bought a Met Parachute from 99 bikes; had a couple of rides now with it. I had been using a Bell Super previously. I found it to be a bit warm also a couple of friends bought the Super 2 and advised the sizing was a bit different. Thought I'd try the Parachute as seemed really well vented. Have been really pleased with it. Initially a bit strange as more difficult to put on compared to other full faces I have had due to the rear retention system. However this also results in a really comfortable fit. There are also 2 sizes of cheek pads and these also clip out if you want. Has a d-buckle chinstrap, I would prefer a normal clip style but it is ok. Of course it is warmer than a full face but it vents really well. Met also have designed padding that is supposed to push sweat away from running down into your eyes and it actually seems to work.

FLOYD1

Likes Dirt
check out the Scott Stego with (MIPS) super comfy, won helmet test in UK , best trail helmet, they tested 17 helmets and won

hakka

Likes Dirt
I've been using one for a while now, but my pads are stuffed and i've been waiting for ever for the local shop to get some replacements. Tried one of the new Fox Metahs last week, i like it better than the Ambush. I did modify the padding slightly so i could fit a sweatbuster in the front.

Delazy

Got a new bike!
I've been using one for a while now, but my pads are stuffed and i've been waiting for ever for the local shop to get some replacements. Tried one of the new Fox Metahs last week, i like it better than the Ambush. I did modify the padding slightly so i could fit a sweatbuster in the front.
have been hanging out to hear feedback about the fox metah...i have been rocking a fox flux for a couple years now and pretty keen to upgrade to the metah sometime soon...bit annoyed they didnt bring the full white version into australia :(

whats the general opinion on buying helmets from overseas without the ADR stickers?

Fox-Metah-Huge-Air-Vents.jpg

Last edited: