Helmets?

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm looking at getting a new lid (open face) and I'm wondering what people recommend.

What's good, what's crap.... Any suggestions?

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
depends how much you want to pay.

i picked up a giro e2 on wednesday for $195.... I haven't ridden with it yet, but it feels damn comfy, is very light, has huge air vents and is dead sexy :)

though, i think you're going to have to pay around the $150 mark for a descent open face these days...

Az

Likes Dirt
I have always been a fan of giro's they seem to fit the shape of my head pretty well, and are super comfy!!

I got the one below the e2 I think, its the havoc. retail about $175 me thinks. Best thing to look for is that the foam isnt exposed around the bottom of the lid. This area gets banged up real quick.

But it all depends on your budget and the shape of your head!! I got friends that are big fans of Bell helmets but they are just the wrong shape for my head.

N!CK

Squid
Go Giro

I tend to always go with Giro, never had any problems. I had a Bell once, but as soon as I cracked it I went straight back to Giro, they just always seem to be more comfortable to me.

curtisrider

Eats Squid
Pro-Tec, thats what i've got and it's mad.
youd have to find someone who still sells the proper bike ones though
i haven't been able to find a shop who sells em since i bought mine.

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
My 661 dirt lid only set me back about $70 - its pretty good, but i think i like the pro-tec ones more:) lol

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've seen the pro-tec helmets at a couple of snowboard shops.
They say they're for snow boarding but they are the exact same.

stylinruss

Likes Dirt
Get a MET. They are way cheaper than Giro and just as good quality (made in Italy). The Tephro is probably the best deal of the range at $119 but you'll pay an extra $10 for the visor and not as good colour scheme (MTB version, called the Sfero).
BTW, Giro doesn't have an Australian distributor at the moment.

bassmonkey

Likes Dirt
Yeah I got my protec from a skate shop, and they're exactly the same helmets too. I get extra old school skatie kudos for having the Caballero pro model though, dude.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Yeah, as stylinruss mentioned both Bell and Giro are still trying to get their shit in one pile...so unless you can find a shop with the right size in stock you'll be waiting another month or so.

looseunit

Likes Dirt
Yeah, as stylinruss mentioned both Bell and Giro are still trying to get their shit in one pile...so unless you can find a shop with the right size in stock you'll be waiting another month or so
For the last year bell sports/bike authority have been, one of the most unreliable importers. Last year with there moving warehouse (rumored to be legal action between the owners). Now they have sacked all their staff and reps, look like they have gone belly up.

Apparently Bell and Giro are now being done thru Mavern Star as of about last week.

wombat

Lives in a hole
M/star and Repco merged a little while ago (bout bloody time) to just become Pacific, and yeah, they should be carrying the helmets, but it still isn't quite sorted yet is it?
As for "The Authority" (whoever decided on that name should be shot, the reps copped sooo much flack) well yes, unreliable is to put it nicely.

andrew

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bassmonkey said:
Yeah I got my protec from a skate shop, and they're exactly the same helmets too. I get extra old school skatie kudos for having the Caballero pro model though, dude.
skate helmets are different to bmx/mtb helmets
skate = slow speed impacts, softer shell
bmx = high speed/hard shell
you can tell the difference by flexing them with your hands

looseunit

Likes Dirt
M/star and Repco merged a little while ago (bout bloody time) to just become Pacific, and yeah, they should be carrying the helmets, but it still isn't quite sorted yet is it?
As for "The Authority" (whoever decided on that name should be shot, the reps copped sooo much flack) well yes, unreliable is to put it nicely.
The scary thing is that the wernt the worst importer to deal with and there have been far far worse and still are. Also heard that GT are now being done thru Gemini or someone who used to work for them.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Oh yeah, there's some shockers out there. I don't think GT are with Gemini now though, they're not with Advance are they? I honsetly can't remember, there's bound to be someone on here who knows. They're still going through the old dealerships though.

looseunit

Likes Dirt
Oh yeah, there's some shockers out there. I don't think GT are with Gemini now though, they're not with Advance are they? I honsetly can't remember, there's bound to be someone on here who knows. They're still going through the old dealerships though.
I knew Gt were thru bike aurthority, but that has changed and pretty sure that are not with advanced traders. It makes sence that they would be with Gemini with pacific owning both GT and Mongoose as for Schwin they have been pick up for next year, but i cant say who, but i pretty sure that I know who it is and who is selling them.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Hmmm, well if GT are with Gemini that could be interesting, haven't heard anything yet though, nice to know though, cheers mate.

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers

Thanks for the input. I'd probably spend around $100-200 on a new lid, perhaps a MET or Giro (when they arrive).

I have to ride to the top of the mountains around here before I can bomb down the other side. I think my brain would fry in a skate helmet.