Help/advice needed on Marchocchi forks

Rik

logged out
Since I don't have much experience with Marz forks, I need you guys to help me...

At the shop, I've found a set of Mr T forks, in partial assembly. They are orange in colour and have 20mm dropout... I think they're 1996 model, as it has one of those date of manufacture rings on the leg, with 96 inside it. The other way I can identify it is, the stanchions are two parts, the top half, which has increments machined on it, screwed onto a thread that extends from the lower half of the stanchion. The damping and preload controls are on the lower stanchion, with the top control dials having extensions through the stanchion to turn the controls.

So, are these a 96 model fork? I've done some searching, and can't find much info on it...

Anyway, I was playing around with them, and some parts from other Marz forks that were in the pile... I unscrewed the top half of the stanchions, and fitted a single crown onto the lower half, making it a single crown fork :)
This didnt seem workable, as it appears the sliders managed to bottom on the crown with just my body weight (albeit, it's alot)...

Anyway..............................

What I want to know is, is it possible to convert these forks to a single crown? (as the dual crowns aren't available), and what would it take to do this? Or am I bored with too much spare time?

Any help/advice/contribution is welcome, I need new forks and if I can build a set out of spare parts, I'll be a very happy chappy.

Rik

logged out
Well these aren't the handmades, that's for sure. The serial number is "ZT410593", if that helps anyone.

After browsing mtbr, it appears the '98 Mr T's have the same features, 20mm axle and removable upper stanchions, they're apparently the same internals as the Z1's, so I'm guessing if I just get the top caps from Z1's and swap them over, along with the single crown, I'll have a sick set of forks.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
goddamn, that sounds like one sweet piece of meat.
had never heard of them before. you learn something new every day.
and if they are the handmade ones, i just learned that i hate rik :)

*edit* rik answered as i was typing, so it looks like i don't have to hate him.

Rik

logged out
Don't worry lupine128, there's still many other reasons to hate me ;)

My first mission is to confirm what year model forks these are before I continue with my dreaming, as I need to know what to base my research on. It does appear that the 98 model forks (which there is plenty of info on) are the same as these, and I still can't find anything to confirm or deny that they were made in '96.

JimmyJ

Likes Dirt
Dude if you dont buy those forks, I will haha. Those are my dream single crown forks. How much are they going for?

JimmyJ

Likes Dirt
Ty said:
BUY THEM, from the sounds of it they are the very rare handmade MrTs/superTs that can be converted to single crowns.
I dont believe the handmade Super Ts were convertable to single crown. Only the '98 Mr Ts.

Rik

logged out
So they are 98 model? Sounds about right...

And I don't think they're for retail sale, infact, I don't even know if I can buy them yet, I have to talk to the owner and find out the history of the forks, they might belong to someone else all together...

Rik

logged out
Yeh pretty much, although it's more an orange sparkely colour than the apparent red in that photo. The only difference I can spot is on these ones, the upper stanchion has the increments engraved all the way down it.

Rik

logged out
:shock:

that's awesome... Next time I get a chance to drop in, I'll double check to make sure the crown I used is safe enough for 4" of travel, and I'll do my best to buy them. I don't like the look of the bare dials, and they could potentially kill knees, so if I can get Z1 top caps, that'll complete the fork.

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Sounds like those forks belong in a museum :!:

Does it have an old skool disc mount on the right hand leg aswell Rik :?:

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
i am maybe buying some 1998 Z1 forks ......... depends cos it needs new seals. how much are seals for the old forks???

rik if you gave me a good price you could buy them off me .... and use them as spare parts

125PHIL

Likes Dirt
yeah im pretty sure the old skool MR T's have the old style disc mount were u need a special adaptor, we have a set at work that are brand new, i think there wicked but no body wants them because the bolt on arch doesnt allow for big tires, like only skinny ones only, ......
but there rare and a wicked fork, id get them if i were u!

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Buy em Rik, they are one of the best forks ever made for MTBs in many peoples opinions. If you really want more info on em, contact Jamesnobrakes or SamB on HCOR, they both run this fork (i think).

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
jayboy882003 said:
i got bomber MX-Comp forks from Marz and i love em... they got 110mm travel and they were cheap too..

And i am SO STOKED for you...........even though it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with this thread. :roll: