Votes: 43 28.9%
  • 08 Norco team dh

Votes: 18 12.1%
  • 08 Giant glory DH0

Votes: 75 50.3%

• Total voters

indica

Serial flasher
Hasn't Vince got anything second hand in?
I'm getting Miles' last years rig ... I think Mick Hannah has a Judge for sale....

THE Manik Man

Likes Dirt
IMO you are the only person that can determine what is the best value for money, having the best components doesn't really mean shit if you don't feel comfortable on the bike. Honestly components all do the same job, just some are a little lighter and a little better.

i recently bought the Sunday Expert because after grabbing a few mates bike that were in my price range (Moogoose ECD, Norco Aline, IH Suday, etc), i found that the sunday felt the best even though component wise it wasn't leading the race. You can always upgrade parts when needed

so my advice is if possible grab mates bike, or just see if you can ride a bike from a shop round the shop front or just sit on the bike in the shop if worse comes to worse you would be surprised how much you can get a feel for a bike by just sitting in the cockpit

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey I was in town today and checked out every bike. I sat on the giant glory and it felt yuk so thats out of the picture. Went and had a ride of the iron horse sunday expert and it felt like heaven and it had upgrades on it. The brakes were upgraded from juicy 3's to 5's and the derailer from x7 to x9. The price was also dropped $500 to $4500. Thats sounded good so I am pretty keen on that. Rode the kona and the norco team dh but didnt like them enough to buy them. Also went in to the bike store and looked at something I never thought about which was the demo 8 ii. Rode it and checked it out heaps and absolutly loved it. quickly sorted out a deal and it is $6000 and maybe could go lower so I am realll really considering this. any opinions on the demo.
thanks
Adam

indica

Serial flasher
YVC have a Commencal Supreme dh on special at the moment also .... now that would be something different.

AMBURGERS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
how about you go one up from the Ironhorse Sunday Expert and go the team.

$4900 at TBSM
http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_15_18&products_id=208

very nice bikes, i've had a sit on one and they feel so good. smick spec aswell.

mabey if any of your local bike shops had the Sunday team you could tell them you can get one for this price and mabey they could match it.

The demo has a killer spec, but the price is still over price IMO. (for what your getting)

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok so at the moment the Glory, Stab and Team DH is out of the picture? I don't feel comfortable on a Glory either. I felt like the top tube is too short and it feels squished. Did you try the right size on all of those bikes? As for the Demo 8 ii, it has a great spec list but did you pick it up and try to pedal it hard. Apparently they are quite heavy and a bit over priced.

If you are confortable on the Ironhorse why not get the Sunday Team for the same price at www.tbsm.com.au .Better forks and upgraded specs for the same price on a bike you feel comfortable on.

Another bike you should consider is the Mongoose ECD. I think they retail for about $4800 and have quite a good spec list (Boxxer Teams etc). I've riden one and they feel pretty nice. Also that Commencal mentioned at Yarra Valley Cycles would be nice too. I haven't riden one but the internet hype says they are great. You should go to The Bike Shed Mortdale and get the Sunday Team in my almighty opinion.

EDIT: I wouldn't take one piece of notice of the poll. Too many people don't read the actually original post and just have in their mind: Kona=bad because they are ugly, Glory=fully sick because everone has one, Ironhorse=must be good because Sam Hill rides one, Norco=I've got an Atomik so the Team DH must be better then all bikes.

Last edited:

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
haha soo tru mate. I would do that upgrading thing but my dad says I am not alound to upgrade he said I have to find a biker with all the parts I want already on it. I recently bought a hardtail and changed it to single speed and took the back brake off and he was spewing, " why didn't you just buy a bike with all the parts you wanted on it " and yeah he went on so he says buy a bike you want and run it stock. And he is also helping me out with this payment so I gotta listen. Also I am not to keen on getting something off the internet such as YVC becuase I really like to get to know the people who are servicing my bike and I am dealing with and I can get some free services off them. Also I like to support my locals. Anyway I am going to ring up a bike store tomorrow and ask about the specialized demo 8ii and see how low I can get it and then take it from there. After the phone call tomorrow I will most probably have my mind made up and then I will make a complete payment and have it buy the end of the week. Thanks for all your help. Also if you have a comment its not to late to jot it down.
Thanks
Adam

indica

Serial flasher
If one of your main concerns is the after sales service - which I can understand .... go to Edge and get the Horse, Vince and Austen are with out a doubt the best in Cairns.
I didn't have much experience with Pump 'n' Pedals - I assume that is where the Demo will come from, but they are a lot bigger, and the more personalised service ALWAYS comes from smaller shops.

Anyway, all the best with the purchase!

XCer

Squid
Go woth the glory, I have a mate who rides one and will never go back from what I can gather, they seem to be the best bang for buck bike around and is brilliant at just blasting down trails...

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ahk, I see what you mean. Yer getting the free services, discounts for buying your bike there and supporting your local bike store is all important. By the sounds of it your fairly set on the Demo 8 ii. Since you can't change any of the specs once you get it out of the shop make sure you get them to change over the parts you don't like. For example the people that I know with Demo's both got the tyres swapped over to Maxxis Minions in the shop. It is a very nice bike and has awesome specs. If you can get the money down a bit and it's not too heavy for you it would be tops. Also get the shop to set up the suspension for you (get the right springs etc)

Another option is (depending on your local bike shop) to see if they will pricematch the Sunday Team from www.tbsm.com.au or at least give you a really good deal on it. Comparing the spec lists between the Sunday Team and the Demo 8 ii shows that they are about on the same level spec wise. The Demo has a higher spec like on the shock (DHX 5 - DHX 3), drivetrain (X0&X9 - X9&X7) but the Ironhorse has a slightly better spec like on the tyres, cranks, stem, bars, chainguide and also the slightly lower spec compared to the Demo is still really good whereas the lower spec on the Demo compared to the Ironhorse isn't so good. In my opinion they are both fantastic bikes and I don't think you will be disappointed with either. I prefer the Sunday just because I like the frame better and it has a solid spec throughout the bike (so you have nothing to upgrade) instead of some really good parts and some average parts like all the Specialized gear and cheaper stuff to save money on (that you will eventually want to upgrade).

One other option is that you could wait a month until the 09 bikes start to come in and get it a lot cheaper at end of season clearance sales. You could even buy an 09 bike if you really liked one.

Any way be totally 100% on what you want and at the end of the day it's your bike, your riding it so you should be the one happy with it.

EDIT: Im sure you have seen these 1000 times but here are the spec list of the Sunday: http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/bikes/sunday/sunday-team.php# and the Demo 8: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=34367

Last edited:

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey thanks alot Nick53 your post was a big help. Although there are no 2008 Sunday team's left. I am really interested in the Expert though as Edge Cycles have upgraded someparts on it. They have change the brakes from avid juicy 3's to 5's and the derialer set up from sram x7 to x9. They have also offered to knock $500 off it to make it $4500. I think this is a wonderful deal.

Pump and pedals have got the demo 8ii in stock. I test rode that and it fell really nice but I wouldn't say as good as the iron horse. My mate jack also rode it and he said he preferred the feel of the horse to so it was a pretty obvious thing. The demo 8ii retail for $7000 but the one currently in the stor was pre owned and the guy who owned it rode it down a downhill track 4 times before he realized he didn't like it at all and got his money back. Pump and pedals are still selling it brand new with full warranty and a free service and all but $1000 cheaper to make $6000. I spoke with them today and they said they are not going to go any lower then that.

The only thing I was douting on the iron horse is the brakes and derailer but know that I have found out they have been upgraded it is sounding really good. I have a 2008 kona cowan with hayes stoker trail brakes which if I bought the Horse I would just swap the brakes.

Also Nick53, the sales of the 08 bikes have started becasue the bike stores are trying to clear stock to make room for 09 stock. I am really keen on the horse at the moment and with the excess 500 I could look at upgrading the first brakeage otherwise a x0 shifter.

Also when I was talking to austen we discussed about the suspension set up and he said he could do a straight swap for a 450 or 500 pound coil for the 300 pound one that comes stock on it.
Thanks again and keep the comments coming.
AAdam

poppa_johns

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey thanks alot Nick53 your post was a big help. Although there are no 2008 Sunday team's left. I am really interested in the Expert though as Edge Cycles have upgraded someparts on it. They have change the brakes from avid juicy 3's to 5's and the derialer set up from sram x7 to x9. They have also offered to knock $500 off it to make it $4500. I think this is a wonderful deal.

Pump and pedals have got the demo 8ii in stock. I test rode that and it fell really nice but I wouldn't say as good as the iron horse. My mate jack also rode it and he said he preferred the feel of the horse to so it was a pretty obvious thing. The demo 8ii retail for $7000 but the one currently in the stor was pre owned and the guy who owned it rode it down a downhill track 4 times before he realized he didn't like it at all and got his money back. Pump and pedals are still selling it brand new with full warranty and a free service and all but $1000 cheaper to make $6000. I spoke with them today and they said they are not going to go any lower then that.

The only thing I was douting on the iron horse is the brakes and derailer but know that I have found out they have been upgraded it is sounding really good. I have a 2008 kona cowan with hayes stoker trail brakes which if I bought the Horse I would just swap the brakes.

Also Nick53, the sales of the 08 bikes have started becasue the bike stores are trying to clear stock to make room for 09 stock. I am really keen on the horse at the moment and with the excess 500 I could look at upgrading the first brakeage otherwise a x0 shifter.

Also when I was talking to austen we discussed about the suspension set up and he said he could do a straight swap for a 450 or 500 pound coil for the 300 pound one that comes stock on it.
Thanks again and keep the comments coming.
AAdam
yea mate, go the bike you feel most comfertable on. i reckon go the horse and upgrade as you go if you feel nesacery(sp?)

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yer the Ironhorse is a great bike and if you chose to buy it you would certainly be getting an awesome deal on an awesome bike.

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Guys, Bought the last 2008 Norco team dh left in Australia. Super stoked. Can't wait to get it. Thanks alot for all your help. I will post it up for sure when I have it. Got a mad deal on it to. Cheers Adam

poppa_johns

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Guys, Bought the last 2008 Norco team dh left in Australia. Super stoked. Can't wait to get it. Thanks alot for all your help. I will post it up for sure when I have it. Got a mad deal on it to. Cheers Adam
sweet cant wait till it gets here, be safe to say the last of the good norco team DH frames not like this 09 joke norco is playing on us:confused: