Help please!

rdymarsh

Cannon Fodder
Hi all,
I've decided I'm going to give mountain biking a shot so am looking at entry level second handers in my area. I'm due to pick this one up but can find very little info on the make and model so I get a feeling its not going to be worth what I'm paying. If anyone can help me with additional info on the brand or personal experiences that would be much appreciated.

Sent from my ZTE A2017G using Tapatalk

rdymarsh

Cannon Fodder
Firstly, whilst it masquerades as a mountain bike, it would not be suitable for anything more than dirt paths.

If this is it: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/alt...kashmir-rock-machine-mountain-bike/1191061928

Then it may be worth $50 (possibly) but I question why you would buy that bike.

You won't find any info cause it is a very low end bike from the look of it (think K Mart).

Can you stretch the budget slightly ?
Thanks so much for your response. Yeah that is it, I can definitely stretch the budget. I'd rather get something solid to get my bearings.

Thanks again

Flow-Rider

Burner
The whole experience of mountain biking is a totally different feeling with a decent bike. The better bikes, climb better, handle better and are more reliable which makes the experience a lot more pleasant when you're starting out. In other words, you'll ride a lot more trail features, trail types and you'll feel more confident on the bike. Try and find yourself a well maintained bike like a main stream brand, brands like a Giant anthem or a Scotts spark that's a few years old.

Last edited:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Looking at how much time and effort the owner has put into that back yard in which that bike sits, I don't expect they will have invested much into that bike either. If you look at the lower section of chain between the cranks and the derailleur, there's something weird going on - the chain looks slack and wavy (the derailleur and/or chain links might be seized). You'll likely need to invest more than the purchase price again to get it into a rideable state - better off putting that cash toward something better.

Plenty of folks here will help guide you toward a more suitable purchase, as creaky and FR have done so already. Some additional details might be useful too:
- your location (general region not street address, so we know what sort of local riding locations you have)
- what you're looking to get from it (fitness, skills, fun, family rides, chicks etc.)
- your budget (which is never enough)

Check out the for sale section on this site too: https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?forums/complete-bikes.33/

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Dear @rdymarsh what you have there is a certified hep of shit. Mountain biking is expensive, even reliable old used mountain bikes.

Also I really think you should add some letters to your username and go for randymarsh...randy is an underused term in this day and age.

madstace

Likes Dirt
Dear @rdymarsh what you have there is a certified hep of shit. Mountain biking is expensive, even reliable old used mountain bikes.

Also I really think you should add some letters to your username and go for randymarsh...randy is an underused term in this day and age.
Easy there Poodle, it only requires "tuning" :eek:

OP, save your money. Not only is that thing a POS, it's clearly an unloved POS. If you're thinking about getting into mountain biking, depending on where you are, it might be better to have a chat to your LBS about the local trails and see if they do proper bike hire so you can get an idea of whether it's for you.

Fair warning - if the bug bites, expect to spend much more than $90, but at the same time, welcome to the club!

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I don't have much to prove my theory (just gut feeling).... But I think the next few months might be prime time to buy a good used Stumpjumper because the Specialized fan boys will be upgrading to the long-awaited new model. (?)

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

stirk

Burner
Looking at how much time and effort the owner has put into that back yard in which that bike sits, I don't expect they will have invested much into that bike either. If you look at the lower section of chain between the cranks and the derailleur, there's something weird going on - the chain looks slack and wavy (the derailleur and/or chain links might be seized). You'll likely need to invest more than the purchase price again to get it into a rideable state - better off putting that cash toward something better.

Plenty of folks here will help guide you toward a more suitable purchase, as creaky and FR have done so already. Some additional details might be useful too:
- your location (general region not street address, so we know what sort of local riding locations you have)
- what you're looking to get from it (fitness, skills, fun, family rides, chicks etc.)
- your budget (which is never enough)

Check out the for sale section on this site too: https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?forums/complete-bikes.33/
My ''grass' looks like that. 30+ kg of Labrador running about wrecks havok on the grass in slow growth seasons.

safreek

I recon if your looking for a cheapie, look at a hardtail(I went there) giant or similar. You should get something serviceable with disc brakes and maybe a cheap rockshox fork for a couple hundred.
As long as it runs OK, gears work and such it should be cool, maybe a basic service.
Beware of the fellas here, they will try to convince you that you need to spend thousands to get a good bike, enablers they are.
I have bought absolute bargains on gummie, just need to be patient.
Good luck on your journey

rdymarsh

Cannon Fodder
Hey all,
Thanks for all your messages. I actually went down to a landfill salvage shop and picked up a good condition HASA. Its a little small so I think my girlfriend may inherit it, but its a good start.

safreek

Any working bike is a good start, just don't let a cheap bike influence your thoughts on mountain bikes, if you get even an old good condition bike with good quality parts, well, its like sex with someone who is fresh as opposed to sex with the wife of 10 years:p

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I actuallywent down to a landfill salvage shop and picked up a good condition HASA.
Can't decide which meme works best here - shame bell vs Picard face palm. This isn't about "buy the most expensive bike in the shop!!!" but common sense, personal safety, and relationship security. There are plenty of good value second hand bikes available between $500 and $1200 if you don't mind an older model that will need some love. Shit you find at the tip, the side of the road, or that originated in k-mart (or similar) will almost always result in pain and suffering, plus a never ending downward spiral of spending money on a sinking ship. I highly recommend a little time being educated about what is or isn't a mountain bike. I am a style+brand snob, but have spent considerable helping teenagers build serviceable and safe bikes, so don't think this is about my latest model high tech carbon + titanium alloy super bike that gives me an erection to win the election. It's about getting people on a bike that will ensure they actually enjoy mountain biking. If you want a cheap mountain style bike to cruise to pub on so there isn't any tears when it is stolen then go nuts. The tip or wherever is your friend.

Let's talk about the basics...
- When you close your eyes and imagine yourself as a mountain biker, what does it look like?
- Where are you thinking of riding?
- Age, height, weight?
- Budget? Whatever it is double it, then double it...does that mean square it?
- time available to ride?
- Who are you riding with? Solo, mates, epic hardcore ride crew?

One small tip here - if you want your lady to ride, give her a bike worth riding. This isn't just true for yourself (she will almost certainly devise a truely feminine parallel between the value of the bike and the value you place on her, I offer the 100% poodle guarantee on this) but anyone and particularly those among is with flash rides. Hook your lady up with a shifter and she wont ride it. She will probably not say 'that bike is shit, you don't love me' to you...but her friends will be all over the dirt. Plus on the rare occasions when she does take it for a roll it will fail - brakes, gears, tyres, something will break and she will be pissed you will be frustrated and there won't be any nookie for a week. Get her a sweet arse rig that looks hot and you'll be bustin' like a rabbit in spring. Until she rides the bike a bit and the seat blows out her pussy. Or so I have heard...

stirk

Burner
What's the budget?

Poodle has some wisdom, crap bikes are crap and really not at all fun to ride.

Pick a budget, stretch it 25% and buy a reputable brand.

I still ride my entry level, coil fork, v-braked 26", 3x8 speed giant, the geometry tries to kill me but it's still as much fun to ride now as when I first bought it.

Sure the newer dual suspension enduro beast is so much better but old bangers can still be fun to.