Hi from Canberra

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
School me on the ins and outs of Stromlo...seems like a good setup - no? Got as far as the trail map at the end of the carpark when I went there the other week (on my roadie - did a couple of laps of the crit circuit though). Is it not as good as it seems? Once I do get a MTB, will be looking for somewhere to take my 8 year old to play on some easy tracks and thought Stromlo would be a good start.
We're just being jaded - its a fantastic setup!

There were some more technical parts that got 'smoothed over' last year that we won't let go - but if you never knew about them it makes little difference.

Its a fantastic place to start riding, there is a nice easy loop that goes near the carpark for starting out. Then, its a matter of picking one of the XC loops (depending on how far you want to ride). The more technical stuff is out the back, and the fast flowy tracks come down the front - most from the trailhead at the top of the main climb. The main climb is pretty gentle, I see a lot of kids on it - there are places to take a break as needed.

You should also check out Majura and Bruce Ridge - lots of smaller loops at those places.

dan76n

Likes Bikes
Really must get out there one day on a Tuesday morning or something when no one is there to laugh at me and do the main loop up and down skyline on the roadie for shits and giggles
I was packing up in the main car park one day and some teenage boys decided to do the four cross track on some old road bikes for a bit of fun.
It was all over on the second last jump when one of them learnt the hard way when he got a little too much air and landed on the front wheel which folded in half.
He came out of it with just some skin missing which at that age would of healed up by the end of the week.
I’m really not sure what he thought was going to happen being hunched over the handlebars and getting both wheels completely off the ground.

D

Deleted member FN2187

Given the way Stromlo is going, you could probably just slap 35s on a roadie and be done ;)
Give it a few rainy days and it'll be back to braking bumps and rocks as usual.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
School me on the ins and outs of Stromlo...seems like a good setup - no? Got as far as the trail map at the end of the carpark when I went there the other week (on my roadie - did a couple of laps of the crit circuit though). Is it not as good as it seems? Once I do get a MTB, will be looking for somewhere to take my 8 year old to play on some easy tracks and thought Stromlo would be a good start.
Yeah it's a good spot plenty of trails of different difficulty and plenty of room to play on bikes with the kids. Majura Pines is also a good spot to ride and the new pump track is great for the little ones.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
+1 for Majura
I take my 8yo twin boys out to Maj every time I go back home to visit fam
most trails are ok for little ones, just the gully drops that mine have trouble with, but they love the pump track/jumps area