Highland Fling - 2010

ngately

Squid
Thoroughly enjoyed the full fling myself, even if it destroyed me.Loved the new single track at the start of the red ring and was disappointed at not being able to appreciate the Gu stage.

Does anyone have a Gpx file of the race or part of it? I normally just do the rings when I'm at Wingello, but out would be nice to mix it up a bit.
I have a .gpx of the race . . . but I don't seem to be able to upload it onto the forum - maybe it's not a supported file type. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can share this file on the forum?

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
I have a .gpx of the race . . . but I don't seem to be able to upload it onto the forum - maybe it's not a supported file type. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can share this file on the forum?
Check out my blog - theres a RSS feed on there which has the 100mile fling Garmin Connect file on it - you can then download a GPX file from that.

I'd normally just post the Garmin link but Garmin Connect is down at the moment,

Cheers

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
There was a guy riding just in front of the sweeps near the end of the day with a Metallica jersey on... wasn't you was it Lee?

- Joel
There was a 100miler laying on the side of the track having a "stretch" at one point when the we (sweeps) came through the last stage, was that you Joel?
I think Metallica jersey guy could of been Extreme cramp guy that got loaded into a ute halfway through rollercoaster, the colours on that jersey look very similar to what he was wearing.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Dreggsy, what sort of briefing is given to volunteers re: rendering first aid assistance?

When I passed a guy down on the water bars before Bayliss' Beauty (others were helping so I pushed on ahead to notify marshalls), the first marshall didn;t have a radio, and I got no love from the second marshall I encountered. It went like this:

Me: "Not sure if its been called in, but there is a guy down on the water bars before Bayliss' Beauty"

Her: "Yeah I dunno where that is"

Me: "Well I''m sure someone will. Maybe just check on the radio?"

Her: "Maybe he just had a bike problem"

Me: "No, he was face down on the ground, covered in dirt, and moaning. I don't think he was fixing a puncture"

Her: "Well an ambulance came by before, so that was probably for him"

Me: "Maybe - but should we just check? That might've been another person"

Her: "I'm sure it'll all be OK"

Me: "You don;t just want to check on the radio?"

Her: "No, I'm sure its fine"

Given that 20min had passed since passing the poor dude, help probably had arrived, but I would've liked her to have been a little more proactive!

Having said that, all the other vollys were great, and I did make a point of saying thanks to all I passed.
I don't know what was said to them at their briefing,
Most volunteers are just that, volunteers, the guy who owns the real estate, the lady from the bakery, a man from the bank, they are there to relay information, and to point you in the coeerct direction. as for not having radios I was under the assumption that everyone did.

That said it was my first time behind the scenes and my part to play was as a sweep rider in one area, and to open / close gates take down signage.
We did hear on our radio of people down and we gave one guy a lift back to the pony club.

If you have any concerns they should be emailed, politely, to the organizer, and I am sure they will take them on board, because at the end of the day they want to keep all of the people happy, all of the time.

Cramp guy

The Guy with cramps at the last stage who had to get a lift back was the person who gave me a lift to the fling. I wont mention names, he was fine after he got back and had rest for awhile. He described it like having his calf muscles involuntarily sucked in and pulled up. He also had muscle spasm at the same time.

The guy wearing the Metalica Jersey rode in with the sweep riders. We were about the last people to leave the camp site. Can't wait till next year.

Cheers
Steve

Knopey

Likes Dirt
I must admit to being a litterer of sorts :(

One of my bottle holders cracked unbeknownst to me soon after leaving Wingello on the second (final) leg, and out went half my hydration in my favourite Camelback Podium 700ml bottle - I guess on that slightly rough fast descent through farmland with the RH turn in it.

It was a long 30k with just one 700ml bottle of go juice :eek: Lesson learned...

Mofro

Squid
Yeah ta Dreggsy, that was what I figured, so I didn't get too upset about it. More curiosity than anything! It is hard to be too critical when people are volunteering their time for nothing.

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
The Guy with cramps at the last stage who had to get a lift back was the person who gave me a lift to the fling. I wont mention names, he was fine after he got back and had rest for awhile. He described it like having his calf muscles involuntarily sucked in and pulled up. He also had muscle spasm at the same time.

The guy wearing the Metalica Jersey rode in with the sweep riders. We were about the last people to leave the camp site. Can't wait till next year.

Cheers
Steve
Glad to hear your mate recovered ok, that was the worst case of cramp/spasm I've had the pleasure to watch, the muscles in his calf were putting on quite a show, but there was nothing we could do but stand and watch.
Metallica guy must of been a bit ahead of us, the guy that rode in with us (the sweeps) was another guy.
Can't wait till next year, hopefully will have money to enter next time entries open, think I might have a crack the 100 mile.

krisko

Likes Dirt
Lost/Forgotton Esky and shoes

After the race I forgot to pick up a large 50l dark blue Esky with white lid. Next to it was a spare set of LG size 12 riding shoes.

If anyone picked it up please contact me on Chris 0417 469 878. Reward offered and I will pick up.

Im kicking myself because the Esky had other stuff in it all adding up $$$

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
There was a 100miler laying on the side of the track having a "stretch" at one point when the we (sweeps) came through the last stage, was that you Joel?
I think Metallica jersey guy could of been Extreme cramp guy that got loaded into a ute halfway through rollercoaster, the colours on that jersey look very similar to what he was wearing.
Yes that was me stretching. I figured that the next guy up the placings from me was a fair way up - and there was nobody behind me - and there was no final cutoff time for me. So why not?! Helped a lot after a long day.

- Joel