Highland Fling - 2010

BureauMan

Likes Bikes
Weatherzone 28 day rainfall forecast for the Illawarra is here:
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/long-range-forecast/28-day-rain/nsw/illawarra
Not sure if you can access that or not if you're not a subscriber. Basically says High chance of precipitation for the 12th, 13th and 14th Nov.

But this is in contrast to their Bundanoon 7 day forecast - which only goes out to Sat 13th at this stage - which has mostly sunny for the 12th and 13th. I guess they're working off different models. The 28 day forecast has changed since I last looked at it when it was going for fine.

Bureau model charts, from Weatherzone - http://www.weatherzone.com.au/models/, have a trough of low pressure and an associated rain band approaching from the west for Sunday. If those charts are accurate I reckon we might have a warm, humid day ahead of rain. Might just get the race in pre rainfall. Obviously this far out it just depends on how this system shapes up and whether it speeds up or slows down. 50/50 as to whether its wet or not. The potential for mid to high twenties and high humidity could make it interesting too.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
BOM site hasn't got the forecast up yet, if anyone knows or is in possession of a crystal ball.....

To keep it interesting for me while I pat it along with the wife, I'm gonna run the single speed with hookworms...hahahaha surprisingly they actually grip pretty well. 'spose I should pack some band aids with the floaties eh!

Is bub coming along as well mate?
We get into Bundanoon sometime on Saturday PM so looking forward to the catchup :)

Newton

Likes Dirt
Seeing as though the organisers of the fling also work out of the "Ye Olde Bicycle Shoppe" you'd think they would be able to provide some feedback on the condition of the trails, they hire out bikes and have bike riders in the shop every day, they would be able to give us an update on trail conditions.

Has anyone ridden Penrose or Wingello in the last 2-3 days? Can you provide some info on how the trails have held up to the recent rains?

Rambler

Likes Dirt
Seeing as though the organisers of the fling also work out of the "Ye Olde Bicycle Shoppe" you'd think they would be able to provide some feedback on the condition of the trails, they hire out bikes and have bike riders in the shop every day, they would be able to give us an update on trail conditions.

Has anyone ridden Penrose or Wingello in the last 2-3 days? Can you provide some info on how the trails have held up to the recent rains?
We have had a lot of crappy weather lately. Its been cold(top temps of 11 degrees),wet, and foggy. Beautiful Highlands weather. Not! Saying that, it looks like warming up next week. I haven't ridden the trails in the last week although I will say that the trails dry very quickly around here. It doesn't take too many days for them too be back to their best. Especially, the firetrails. There may be a few largest puddles and the creeks may be up. The wingello singletrack may benefit, especially if it stays relatively dry between now and Sunday. Saying that, there looks like a fair potential for rain, especially thunderstorms on the day. That could change everything.

Rambler

Likes Dirt
And where's the best place for a bite to eat?
There are a few places in Bundy. They make a great pizza at the pizza shop. There is also Chinese which is OK. The options increase if you want to go 20min to Moss Vale or 30min to Bowral. Sutton Forest Pub is 15min away as well where you can get a good feed and of course, hydration. Bundy Pub as well.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
The First Year I rode the 100miler it bucketed down leading up to the race. creeks were up and everyone was speculating mud tyres and the like. The sun came out on the day, the creeks dropped enough to still be able to cross and apart from a few very small sections of slush, the tracks were tacky and fun, especially the 2nd time around!

Who knows on the days, but that place seems to hold up incredibly well with a bit of wetness...

*shrug*

Cheers
Spoonie

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Cyclocross Field Preview...

Duncan Markham
Dunc is the red hot favourite in this field and in a round about way responsible for the Fling having a CX category. Duncan has been on the podium before and with out Warren Burgess in the fields he looks unbeatable.

Rob Parbery
The most experienced Highland Crosser in the field and is coming off some red hot form at the Single Speed World Championships in Rotorua last month. Unfortunatley he hasn't regained his descending bravado after the "First-aid truck" incident at Stage 1 of the Mountains to Beach Race in March. Will finish in the top 5 in this field.

Dan Simms
Appears to be a triathlete and his off-road skills are unknown. If he can keep it together in the Wingello section he should give Dunc a hard time for the win. But he wont be the first fit bastard to underestimate just how tough 100km on skinny tyres can be.

Chris Wilson
Being tipped to crash early, despite doing some recon on the course over the rainy long weekend. If he can hold it together could give the podium a tickle.

Virginia Woods
Another unknown rider, has some running and adventure racing form which could stand her in good stead through the crowds and the early bath. She should be the first woman to cross the 'fling and a dark horse for the podium.

Andrew Cassie
Rumour has it that he is going to swtich from Singlespeed to Cyclocross Class, either way it wont make a differences to the results as passed experience has shown that he will not make it as far as the start line, preferring a comfy lounge chair in Jerrabomberra.

Last edited:

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
Tyre question,
ive got myself a brand new set of tubeless race king 2.2's, think theyre a good choice tyre for the fling? ive never run them before, so any advice would be good, if im not mistaken doesnt jason english run these same tyres? if im right they got to be quite good id say ;)

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
Or they're what he's given ;)
I think you will find he would run the lighter 'protection series'

but still tubeless.

Im sure he gets them given to him, but there are still heaps of conti options :p

Personally Im hoping a Race King comes out in a race sport version.

It a toss up between a supersonic race king on the front or a x-king race sport on the front matched with a race king protection on the back...

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
Tyre question,
ive got myself a brand new set of tubeless race king 2.2's, think theyre a good choice tyre for the fling? ive never run them before, so any advice would be good, if im not mistaken doesnt jason english run these same tyres? if im right they got to be quite good id say ;)
there's no doubt that race kings are good tyres - grippy and good rollers. dunno if i'd carry the extra weight of a UST on the front though. the super sonics apparently have a better rubber compound than the UST's too.

if you are doing the full fling, there is a very sticky section of mud at the bottom of one of the biggest hills - well, on sunday there was. so sticky, i haven't seen anything like it since my stint in the UK. for that section, you'd wanna have some mud clearance on your bike running 2.2 RKs - mine really filled out the available space, to the point of having to stop and clear it. other than that, i reckon the tyres are perfect for the fling.