Holden out of Oz in 2017

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wasn't that before GM sold Vauxhall and Opal to PSA? Not sure when they offloaded Opal but Vauxhall was 2017.
Yeah was before, but I'm still not sure the result will be any different!
Rumours were around that inchcape were going to bring them back again after sale to PSA, guess we'll see what happens now.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
The last Opel effort was done by Holden, it was a non starter with those muppets...

PSA in Australia is imported by Inchcape - useless company that makes one of the largest auto makers on the planet a niche player at best here. Ridiculous...

If PSA want to bring in Opel and the Peugeot and Citroen brands themselves, they might actually do ok. The products are good, they just need to be properly advertised and supported.

Peugoet and Citroen used to be a well regarded mainstream brand in Australia, even were built here for many years.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Yeah was before, but I'm still not sure the result will be any different!
Rumours were around that inchcape were going to bring them back again after sale to PSA, guess we'll see what happens now.
Seems logical that they're making RHD cars and a couple of markets (Aus and NZ) open up, why not expand sales. Would depend on the cost of ADR compliance though.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
If PSA want to bring in Opel and the Peugeot and Citroen brands themselves, they might actually do ok. The products are good, they just need to be properly advertised and supported.

Peugoet and Citroen used to be a well regarded mainstream brand in Australia, even were built here for many years.
Well people are going to need something to carry around their Lapierre e-mtbs on.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I remember reading in wheels and motor mags when Mitsubishi was pulling out of Australia and they just bagged them out as if you would never even be able to get parts for them again. I understood the Holden vs Ford thing but never understood why the Supercars were not even remotely like the actual cars. Surely something else will step up to replace the racing. Now we are just over 10 years later and gm and ford look like they are struggling to even survive. The government should have canned the support ages before they did BUT that money should have gone straight into supporting viable manufacturing or training facilities.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The last Opel effort was done by Holden, it was a non starter with those muppets...

PSA in Australia is imported by Inchcape - useless company that makes one of the largest auto makers on the planet a niche player at best here. Ridiculous...

The Holden Camira was a massive flop, remember the oil rings failed in less than 20000kms and plastic pipes that broke behind the block that cooked the engines. The early Barina had the wiring insulation problem and had the water pump pulleys as an timing belt adjuster that seized in the blocks 99% of the time.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
The Holden Camira was a massive flop, remember the oil rings failed in less than 20000kms and plastic pipes that broke behind the block that cooked the engines. The early Barina had the wiring insulation problem and had the water pump pulleys as an timing belt adjuster that seized in the blocks 99% of the time.
Most cars in those days were a bit iffy... Although I knew a guy that bought a nearly new early Camira with stuffed rings for next to nothing - did the rings on it and had cheap wheels that went well for years. Opel stuff is decent (but usually a bit under whelming...) these days. A budget brand in Europe.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I remember reading in wheels and motor mags when Mitsubishi was pulling out of Australia and they just bagged them out as if you would never even be able to get parts for them again. I understood the Holden vs Ford thing but never understood why the Supercars were not even remotely like the actual cars. Surely something else will step up to replace the racing. Now we are just over 10 years later and gm and ford look like they are struggling to even survive. The government should have canned the support ages before they did BUT that money should have gone straight into supporting viable manufacturing or training facilities.
Imagine all the bogans turning up to bathurst with a flanno, helemt and sixpack, they used to race cars straight off the showroom floor in the seventy's.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Most cars in those days were a bit iffy... Although I knew a guy that bought a nearly new early Camira with stuffed rings for next to nothing - did the rings on it and had cheap wheels that went well for years. Opel stuff is decent (but usually a bit under whelming...) these days. A budget brand in Europe.
The Cyl heads were made from shit alloy and most of the time if you done a re-ring they would need a shit load of welding, the Isuzu engine was far better than that POS, even the old KA lasers onwards.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I love the various justifications people go through around buying a ridiculously big car...we don't even want a 4WD, but nothing else is big enough for all of us...

stirk

Burner
Imagine all the bogans turning up to bathurst with a flano, helemt and sixpack, they used to race cars straight off the showroom floor in the seventy's.
They rock up to Bathurst a couple of months out from the race to bury a few cases of beer in the hills and then come back for the race in their flanno's and singlets and get their bogan on big time!

I wonder what the future will hold for the v8' racing. Didn't ford front modified Mustangs for the race last year? By that logic we'll see Camaro's return.

Just a chassis and engine, so remove from.the production car what's the point anymore?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Imagine all the bogans turning up to bathurst with a flano, helemt and sixpack, they used to race cars straight off the showroom floor in the seventy's.
Maybe a little earlier than the 70's but not far off. My best mate's old man won the original Armstrong 500 (now Bathurst 1000) in 1960 with a car that they drove to the track, Vauxhall Cresta for what it's worth.

stirk

Burner
I love the various justifications people go through around buying a ridiculously big car...we don't even want a 4WD, but nothing else is big enough for all of us...
I remember when the 70's and 80's station wagon was the big family car. Since the wagon got mostly replaced by all kinds of different sized so called 'SUV' the 4wd was seen as a big station wagon. Don't worry that many never use 4wd that's not the consumers fault they just want a family wagon and the fourbys are in many cases the best option.

That's why the foubys are so roady Lycra now from the factory.

The car manufacturers should just make a wagon again, not a fucking SUV that is neither sports nor utility, just a wagon FFS!

And then make a decent 4wd that does not need $29,000 spent on it to make it off road capable.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I remember when the 70's and 80's station wagon was the big family car. Since the wagon got mostly replaced by all kinds of different sized so called 'SUV' the 4wd was seen as a big station wagon. Don't worry that many never use 4wd that's not the consumers fault they just want a family wagon and the fourbys are in many cases the best option.

That's why the foubys are so roady Lycra now from the factory.

The car manufacturers should just make a wagon again, not a fucking SUV that is neither sports nor utility, just a wagon FFS!

And then make a decent 4wd that does not need $29,000 spent on it to make it off road capable.
It's completely the consumers "fault". "Choice" might be a better word. You "need" $29K in upgrades, in the same way a weekend warrior 'needs' carbon wheels, or $3K forks. If you aren't racing it, you're indulging.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Maybe a little earlier than the 70's but not far off. My best mate's old man won the original Armstrong 500 (now Bathurst 1000) in 1960 with a car that they drove to the track, Vauxhall Cresta for what it's worth.
Yeah, that was common back then, a mate's Father told me a story about 20 years ago that his Father or (mate's Grandfather) bought him a brand new GT HO and he drove it straight off the showroom floor to Bathurst.