NSW Hornsby Shire MTB Alliance Thread

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
some replies

A standardised reply from the Office of The Hon Frank Sartor MP

Thank you for writing to the Hon Frank Sartor, MP, Minister for Climate Change andthe Environment and Minister Assisting the Minister for Health (Cancer).Minister Sartor has asked that I acknowledge receipt of your correspondence.

The Minister appreciates the time youhave taken to put your concern in writing and advises that the issues you haveraised will be given due consideration.

Officeof The Hon Frank Sartor MP

Minister forClimate Change and the Environment and Minister Assisting the Minister forHealth (Cancer)

( (02)9228 5811 7(02) 9228 5499 * Level 35 GMT, 1 Farrer Place, Sydney 2000 : office@sartor.minister.nsw.gov.au
and a reply from Sally Barnes...

Thankyou for your recent email regarding mountain biking in National Parks.

Formany years the National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) has welcomed visitorsand supported their recreational aspirations while protecting the conservationvalues of the parks and reserves. We recognise that bike riding and mountainbiking riding in particular is growing in popularity. Bike riding can begood for the environment and good for people’s health and thereforecommunity wellbeing. It is also another way of connecting people to nature andif managed carefully can link to the intent of the National Parks and WildlifeAct.

Wedo however need to be clearer about how and where mountain biking should occurand then how potential impacts should be considered and managed on a park bypark basis. I can confirm that the NPWS is finalising a discussion paperthat not only reviews our current Cycling Policy but also develops aSustainable Mountain Biking Strategy for NSW National Parks.

Thepaper is substantially informed by meetings with representatives from northern Sydney mountain bikinggroups and networksanda workshop held with a broader range of stakeholders including environmentgroups. My hope is that through a community consultation process we willbe able to establish an agreed direction on the provision of mountain biking innational parks and reserves. The paper will include recognition of the highdemand for riding on singletrack, while ensuring that protection of the naturaland cultural values of our national parks remains pre-eminent.

Onthe local front, Northern Sydney parks staffhave met with World Trails to planthreepossible singletrack mountain bike tracks in three different areas. I haveasked staff to continue talking with representatives from the mountain bikefraternity on these trails. I understand they have hosted a World Trailworkshop with representatives from a number of user groups including bikeriders and conservation groups. They have also conducted a workshop with landmanagers within the region to facilitate cross tenure mountain bike trails forall technical abilities.

TheNational Parks and Wildlife Act 1974requires that all activities in national parks are carried out in accordancewith the relevant plan of management. Most current plans of management,including those for parks in northern Sydney,do not permit the creation of singletrack mountain bike tracks. Consultationwith representatives from mountain bike groups and networks has suggested that Garigal National Park has strong potential forthe installation of environmentally sensitive singletrack. NPWS is investigating potentialroutes and design specifications for an appropriate section of singletrackwithin Garigal National Park. I expect that work willcommence shortly upon the environmental impact assessment and a possible planof management amendment processes - both of which are required for any suchchanges to activity within a national park. The proposed amendment to theplan of management will involve public exhibition and review by the RegionalAdvisory Committee and National Parks & Wildlife Advisory Council.

A proactive approach to mountain biking is further advancedat Glenrock State Conservation Area near Newcastle.I have attached a link that illustrates the partnership with the community. TheNational Parks & Wildlife Advisory Council recently visited the park andspecifically commented on the collaborative approach taken by our staff to workwith various groups to get the best recreation and conservation outcomes. http://www.twentysixinches.com/2010/glenrock-volunteer-trail-works

Itrust this reassures you of progress that the NPWS is making on this issue. Iencourage you to continue your involvement and input through the consultationprocesses.

Yourssincerely
Sally Barnes
Deputy Director General
Head - National Parks and Wildlife Service
Department of Environment, Climate Change and Water

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did the reply have that many missing spaces when you got it???:eek: ;)

Super keen for legal trails, and from that reply it all sounds promising!!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did the reply have that many missing spaces when you got it???:eek: ;)

Super keen for legal trails, and from that reply it all sounds promising!!
I noticed that as well. It's copied and pasted straight from the email and it is missing the spaces. It made me pay a bit more attention to what i was reading!:)

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks guys,
yes some poor replys! but hopefully we are stiring things up so these people do their jobs.

Q. When will building start??

A. I assume you mean in Hornsby? The Nato Parks is a related but indirect issue to what happens in Hornsby. It all depends on how quickly we can get the "greenies" on side. Hornsby Council loves us, but it comes down to the community in the end and at the moment the greenies have a louder voice than us. I dont want to give figures but you may see some dirt jumps around the Hornsby area in the next year (we hope!! its frustratingly slow).

As for the quarry, its kind of a touchy subject as there are plans to make it a "recreational park" with soccer ovals and all that...so they want to figure out all that before they let us in so it can be encorporated with their plans.
I am currently working alongside council in developing this master plan as part of a uni project. So dont worry, there is going to be lots of MTB in my plan!

As for current building in the quarry, i have noticed that DH line is getting longer! While illegal building is bad...(im not endorsing it) but if we continue to ride in the area and create a precence Ive been told they will have to do something. Having said that RESPECT the environment, there are some sensative areas especially to the West of the Quarry in the bluegum forest so be careful where you're riding!

Got any questions PM me.
Whitey

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
got the same

At least the reply back was personalised with my correct honorific and surname.

I'm happy with that :p

Good luck with it

beak_hunter

Likes Bikes
it's a shame how some people are desperate to stop the development of mtb trails. They probably also complain about youth issues ranging from obesity to graffiti to crime etc. The youth of this nation is one of the nations most important resources. 2nd to the environment in my mind. The needs of these two resources must be met. This can be done in unison with respect to mtb trails. It is insane to focus efforts on discrediting mtb trails.

Single track MTB lines have no impact if built correctly. Even if built incorrectly they have negligible impact when compared to the sub-divisions which get approved every single day in this country which require mowing down of massive areas of bush. Erosion.... give me a break. Take a look at the bigger picture. Hectares of bush is getting cleared everyday and people are worried about the impacts associated with mtb single track.

How many kids like bush walking? Maybe a few. I bet many more enjoy riding a bike. We are heading the right way to leading the way for a nation of obese kids who will die early.

There is such a selfish attitude out there. The bush should be a shared resource. Not locked up.

The thinking of many people in this nation is backwards.

More approved appropriate legal trails = less illegal trails. It is that simple.

Trancein

Cannon Fodder
Letters Needed for The Bush Telegraph Reply

I was reading the Bush Telegraph over the weekend and noticed article titled: MOUNTAIN BIKES-should they be allowed in bushland ? .Read the article here : http://www.thebushtele.com.au , page 4. They have 2 articles and 1 letter to the editor over the last three weeks from the Association for Berowra Creek & the Hornsby Conservation Society. It seems they are trying the Bush Telegraph now after problems with The Advocate.

The Editor of Bush Telegraph is asking for comments from mountain bikers, so lets get some letters in and show the public again our love for bushland and MTBing.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was reading the Bush Telegraph over the weekend and noticed article titled: MOUNTAIN BIKES-should they be allowed in bushland ? .Read the article here : http://www.thebushtele.com.au , page 4. They have 2 articles and 1 letter to the editor over the last three weeks from the Association for Berowra Creek & the Hornsby Conservation Society. It seems they are trying the Bush Telegraph now after problems with The Advocate.

The Editor of Bush Telegraph is asking for comments from mountain bikers, so lets get some letters in and show the public again our love for bushland and MTBing.
sent. hope it wasn't too late

dottyman

Likes Dirt
sent. hope it wasn't too late
Hi i missed this article. I'm a local MTBer with some time and skills in landscaping etc I would like to help out in any way I can....what can I do at this stage?
I may be able to organise volunteers once trail building starts. Any update would be great.