NSW Hornsby Shire MTB Alliance Thread

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is for anyone who wants legal, professionaly built single track in sydney!

Rock up to Hornsby Shire Council Chambers at 6:30pm TONIGHT as council will be voting on a vital land package we need for this trail.

We have council on side all we need to do is convince councilors which is what tonight is about!

Campbell will be putting his case forward on behalf of all rotorburners and HSMBA members.

BE THERE!

ps. sorry about the late notice :p

Last edited:

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dispite lack of attendance from members of HSMBA (poor effort guys, but thanks to those who did show) we got aprooval for council to look into areas for the single track to go.

It was a long feature of the general meeting, lasting 1hr having 5 residents speak AGAINST vs 1 for (HSMBA steeting comittee member). After listening to how selfish and nieve these over 60's were to what mountain biking was and did not realise let alone read the business paper before the meeting that this was to aproove an in depth study, not an aprooval to go out and start ripping up the bush!
One lady said "moutain bikes do not belong in the bush" :confused: not sure how that works....

Anyway, we got full councilor support for a look in which is a fantastic result.

Watch this space!

FINX74

Likes Dirt
Poised...

Whitey,
I am POISED with shovel in hand ready to attack ( gently around the Blue gum forrest ) and cut in the first lot of SST (sustainable single track)...
Adrian.:)

BrockF

Squid
I have just come across this that was sent to residents and have allready sent an email to the listed councillor applauding the shires efforts to cater for all aspects of the community, and what great forsight they have shown by commising World Trail to undertake the preperation for sustainable MTB trails in the area.

letter is below

Dear Councillor Evans

As a rate payer of Hornsby shire I applaud the idea to legitimise and provide for the large amount of cyclists, in particularly mountain bike riders in the Hornsby shire area. I have recently received this flyer from an anonymous group who seem to be providing myths and trying to stir animosity to the sport of mountain biking.
Mountain biking is an activity that can be undertaken by a vast array of people of all ages and is conducive to providing activity and reducing the negative effects of a sedentary lifestyle. By providing these facilities you will be providing for a very large part of the Hornsby shire community.
The reason we have chosen to live in the Hornsby shire is due to the access to the local bushland regions in particular the regional parks and council land around the Thornleigh and Cherrybrook area. My family immensely enjoys the ability to get out and enjoy the local fauna and flora, and one of the best ways to do this is by bike.
I would like to point out that this group is promoting many myths about mountain biking. There are many cases where multi-use trails have proved to be a success, particularly around the Manly Dam an Glenrock (Newcastle) area. These trails are happily used by pedestrians, dog walkers and cyclists at the same time.
Well maintained and properly constructed trails built to the IMBA (International Mountain Bike Association) trail guidelines have the same impact on soils, erosion and local flora and fauna as a walking track. If a track is designed and maintained to these standards with appropriate erosion and water bar protection then there is no need for renegade cyclists, walkers or horse-riders to feel the need to create additional tracks.
I am aware that World Trail have been consulting with council to provide these above mentioned services, and eagerly await the result when there is a world class cycling facility within the Hornsby area.

Last edited:

Skywalker

Likes Dirt
Congratualtions on the result guys! I'm sorry I did not know that the meeting was taking place so wasn't able to go! I was so excited when I read the article in the Advokate that they were now proposing to build the trails! About bloody time! Me and my girlfriend walked around the Quarry a few weeks ago and I said to her it would make a perfect mountain bike park... My wish may come true :)

It infuriates me that some narrow minded idiot is sending residents that letter which is full of lies. No doubt residents will look at this and get on side. I hope Council will see the benefits of having trails in the area as it will bring Hornsby to the next level in regards to the already thriving cycle community and will be great for the local economy.

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
Dear Councillor Evans

As a rate payer of Hornsby shire I applaud the idea to legitimise and provide for the large amount of cyclists, in particularly mountain bike riders in the Hornsby shire area. I have recently received this flyer from an anonymous group who seem to be providing myths and trying to stir animosity to the sport of mountain biking.
Mountain biking is an activity that can be undertaken by a vast array of people of all ages and is conducive to providing activity and reducing the negative effects of a sedentary lifestyle. By providing these facilities you will be providing for a very large part of the Hornsby shire community.
The reason we have chosen to live in the Hornsby shire is due to the access to the local bushland regions in particular the regional parks and council land around the Thornleigh and Cherrybrook area. My family immensely enjoys the ability to get out and enjoy the local fauna and flora, and one of the best ways to do this is by bike.
I would like to point out that this group is promoting many myths about mountain biking. There are many cases where multi-use trails have proved to be a success, particularly around the Manly Dam an Glenrock (Newcastle) area. These trails are happily used by pedestrians, dog walkers and cyclists at the same time.
Well maintained and properly constructed trails built to the IMBA (International Mountain Bike Association) trail guidelines have the same impact on soils, erosion and local flora and fauna as a walking track. If a track is designed and maintained to these standards with appropriate erosion and water bar protection then there is no need for renegade cyclists, walkers or horse-riders to feel the need to create additional tracks.
I am aware that World Trail have been consulting with council to provide these above mentioned services, and eagerly await the result when there is a world class cycling facility within the Hornsby area.
Top work mate!

If others have received this please email/write in to the council as above and send the offending leaflet with the letter, just so they know that if they get an influx of "community concern" over the proposed mountain bike trails, it has been drummed up on false pretenses.
The council would most likely know who has done this,as the same person/group would more than likely called them up numerous times stating their disgust;).

So hopefully if the council is switched on enough, the offender is just shooting themselves in the (hiker boot covered) foot:rolleyes:

FINX74

Likes Dirt
Hornsby Trails

Hornsby Shire guys and neighbouring Shires get onto the Advocate website www.hornsbyadvocate.com and post where you think we should be laying down these tracks - it's going ahead we 've got some ideas like the old Quarry and such but have your say - get involved and they will come around a lot sooner then later - Dirt Jumps - XC -DH the lot get on there and get involved. Also if you haven't yet join up to HSMBA.....http://hsmba.info/

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what sort of DH trails are we talking about? will they be oxford falls kind of trails or ourimbah DH trails?

FINX74

Likes Dirt
Types of trails

The type of DH trail all depends on where it ends up thats why you need to get onto those sites and put forward ideas, plenty of places have already been acknowledged as suitable - for example like Crosslands in Hornsby Heights it has the makings of a decent track with 200 meters of fall and shuttle roads, ameneties and so on it does have steep sections which would create something like Oxy and also sections that would be like Rimbah and Awaba. So don't sit there and wait for something to happen get involved and things will come around a lot quicker.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dirt Jump/Pump track community consultation meeting:

Hopeville Park - Hornsby
3pm Saturday 15th

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Everyone,

Sadly we are losing the letter war against the anti mountain bike
groups who do not believe we have any rights to riding on single
track in National Parks or bushland (and often have lots of time on
their hands).

Things have been going well with the local NPWS staff but the powers
above are getting clogged with anti mtb mail.

We need you all to spend a couple of minutes to write a quick email
to some politicians. Please, this is vital. If 10% of us do this then
it won’t make much difference but if most of us can do it then it
will really make them sit up and realize that they need to support
the rangers on the ground who are wanting to help us!

The NPWS staff on the ground have made a huge effort into investigating
mountain bike trails. But they need support from above and those in
their ivory towers are only seeing anti mtb emails. And regardless of
the facts, what emails they see becomes the reality they operate with.

Frank Sartor, Minister for Climate Change and the Environment
office@sartor.minister.nsw.gov.au

Lisa Corbyn, Director General (DECCW)
lisa.corbyn@environment.nsw.gov.au

Sally Barnes, Deputy Director General, Parks and Wildlife Group (DECCW)
sally.barnes@environment.nsw.gov.au

Alistair Henchman - Director, Metropolitan Branch (NPWS)
Alistair.Henchman@environment.nsw.gov.au

Gary Dunnett - Regional Manager, North East Region (NPWS)
gary.dunnett@environment.nsw.gov.au

Thank them for the huge amount of work that has been done to date.
Remind them of why we need mountain bike trails from a recreational
and conservationist point of view.
Encourage them to keep going.

If you want more details then go to the following link. There is also a
handy link for emailing them all with the press of a button and
detailed suggestions for what to write.

http://nobmob.com/node/14830

But your letter does not need to be perfect or even well worded. It
just needs to go. 2 lines or a page. GO FOR IT.

If they see the numbers then they will stand up and take notice and
provide the support to the guys on the ground.

Regards,

HSMBA

Tom Millard

Likes Bikes
i will try to help out as much as i can working around sport and homework!

rode the DH @ the quarry. Pretty nice.

Will hopefully see u guys building and riding

FINX74

Likes Dirt
Helping Out

i will try to help out as much as i can working around sport and homework!

rode the DH @ the quarry. Pretty nice.

Will hopefully see u guys building and riding
At the moment we really need to get as many emails to those addresses above from whitey89 otherwise there will be no tracks at all as the greenies have a louder voice right now. Tell your friends and family and anyone else just to send an email stating we need tracks in the Hornsby Shire.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Email sent. Thanks to the guys at Nobmob for providing the excellent letter scaffold. I did a fair bit or reworking though so it wasn't just a copy and paste. :)