how big a drop could ya flat on a 7x7 dually

Konaman

Likes Dirt
I dono about you and front wheeling to flat but i definitely wuldnt recommend that on a ht, do that off a 6 foot to flat uve got better chance busting ur chin up on ur bars or going over them then if u rear wheel. Though it might work on a big dually and front wheeling slightly is probly the best option if you have a decent tranny.
But everyone has there own opinion but i wuldnt recommend trying this front wheeling to flat technique of urs off of a drop to flat thats very big, ive found the best way to do it is fully rear wheel (this is on a ht) like trials style cause its still smooth at speed.

AirDog

Likes Dirt
yes but konaman we are not talking HT to do that on a dually you will get major fork slap and thats not good i don't wholy trust this front tyre first thing either but if they say it works then it must. on a ht rear first is always smooth unless you have no speed.

S.

ex offender
AirDog said:
yes but konaman we are not talking HT to do that on a dually you will get major fork slap and thats not good i don't wholy trust this front tyre first thing either but if they say it works then it must. on a ht rear first is always smooth unless you have no speed.
The smoothness of a drop to flat does not have anything to do with speed; landing rear wheel first (on a ht) is the smoothest way to to it at ANY speed.

AirDog

Likes Dirt
i've done plenty of drops on my ht of varying sizes and in my opinion it is alot easier to land when you have speed

Ty

Eats Squid
speed only effects stability, you are still falling from the same hight, hitting the ground with the same force.

S.

ex offender
Ty said:
speed only effects stability, you are still falling from the same hight, hitting the ground with the same force.
Yep, X and Y components of your movement are independent (because they're perpendicular) when you land to flat, therefore your speed has no effect on how hard you land, and how hard you land has no effect on your speed (neglecting any extra friction it may cause).

sich nich

Likes Dirt
Socket said:
Ty said:
Yep, X and Y components of your movement are independent (because they're perpendicular) when you land to flat, therefore your speed has no effect on how hard you land, and how hard you land has no effect on your speed (neglecting any extra friction it may cause).
if ur going faster, ur velocity will be headed more across, or in the direction u are going rather than toward the ground. so, the faster u are going, the less steep the gradient of flight will be = force headed mor forward than downward.
try it. find a five footer to flat. do it at 10 kmh then do it at 50kms.
tell me how it goes

matt462

Likes Dirt
The vertical force on the bike and you for that matter are the same regardless of speed, but the force on the ground is less at any one point as it is spread out over more distance. This is because the force of landing it not instantaneous with suspension and the air in your tyres and the like. This also makes the force on your wheels spread out over more on the rim as well.

All this means is you will hurt the ground and your wheels less. The reason for speed feeling better is stability.

Anyway that's my uneducated opinion.

AirDog

Likes Dirt
i've droped lots to flat and i must say i enjoy down ramps more but i must also say i have never hurt my self and the only thing i'v ever broken is a rear wheel i tacoed but that happens when you do 2m to flat on a huffy rim.

S.

ex offender
sich nich said:
Socket said:
Ty said:
if ur going faster, ur velocity will be headed more across, or in the direction u are going rather than toward the ground. so, the faster u are going, the less steep the gradient of flight will be = force headed mor forward than downward.
try it. find a five footer to flat. do it at 10 kmh then do it at 50kms.
tell me how it goes
That is completely irrelevant to a flat landing. As I said, the X and Y (X = horizontal, Y = vertical) components of your movement are independent because they occur at 90 degrees to each other. Consider this: ride forward along flat ground. Do you accelerate upwards or downwards? No. As you can see, whether you're moving horizontally or not has no effect on your vertical velocity or acceleration. Velocity cannot change direction, it is a vector consisting of speed and A (not any) direction; therefore if the speed in a particular direction changes, the velocity changes. As I have said several times now, if you're talking about vertical velocity, moving horizontally has no effect.

fastrider_ben

Likes Dirt
all that mathematical stuff dont mean much
ive seen heaps of trannnies that i thought were impossible to land smooth on and im like "gus u wont land that smooth" but he does lol
its all bout going fast and staying controlled

hey gus i turned HARDCORE yay