How can I determine my optimum cadence and heart rate while training?

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No that doesn't sound right. Given the hearts safe maximum is 220. There are conditions where people have very high like reaching 300 but they are not standing and more than likely laying in a hospital bed and they clearly have serious symptoms.

Even if you are cadel fit you shouldn't be exceeding 220 or even hitting 220 from my understanding.

What monitor do you use? If it is polar they can get interference from other devices and even overhead wires. If your heart indeed reached these numbers I'd be seeing a cardiologist for at least a exercise stress test before I even get back on the bike or do any exercise.

Its pretty unlike for your heart to do those numbers and you still feel fine to ride it sound more likely its a monitor issue or interference. But as this is your heart and this is a forum that you use at your own risk.

It would be my recommendation to go see a doctor ASAP before under taking anymore exercise.

(Many others will say its just the monitor and chances are it is but we are not doctors or have seen you so we cannot know for sure therefore I think seeing a doctor is the only advice I can give you to be safe)
Im using a garmin premium heart rate monitor and a 510. Im pretty sure its out because i manually took my resting heart rate at 65bpm this morning.
Ill have a look at what could be throwing it out, when i put the strap on it reads anywhere between 85-100 for my resting so it must be out!!! Ill have a play around today and see if I can get to the bottom of it

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
No it sounds right. If I a truly resting I'm about 50 or under. If I do a big fart or scratch myself I go up to 60. If I'm standing up and cooking an egg or something I'm 80 to 90. Just so you understand what resting HR is. Average of 200 can't be right over a few hours unless there is something wrong in my opinion. Personally I reckon the hrm is getting interference and ruining your avg. Look at your Strava HR chart, you will see what the max is. If it is a ceiling value you know it is interference. If it approaches 250 then drops, I'd be concerned...

Cuthbert

Likes Dirt
Position of the device on your chest can also effect the accuracy. I've got the same set up as you and find that if the strap slips down around my stomach it gives stupidly high readings (often between 200 and 250, when I actually max out at about 175)

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did you moisten the contacts on the strap; I find my Garmin will either top out at 255bpm, or drop zero's if I don't to this before a ride.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Moisten straps helps I also find that I need to place the strap bellow my chest for accurate readings below 80ish then I need to move it up onto my center chest to get any higher readings otherwise it just goes to zero. It's a PITA I sent it to garmin under warranty and they said the device was fine.

If you don't shave your chest you probably need to as well, likewise wiping down the contact area to remove dirt or oil off your skin prior to using the monitor will help maximise pick up.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
If you don't shave your chest you probably need to as well, likewise wiping down the contact area to remove dirt or oil off your skin prior to using the monitor will help maximise pick up.
How many more excuses to men need to rid themselves of unwanted body hair?

Lets face it, get it done in the last week of February , then come out of the closet, but stop claiming some sort of sporting reason!

driftking

Wheel size expert
How many more excuses to men need to rid themselves of unwanted body hair?

Lets face it, get it done in the last week of February , then come out of the closet, but stop claiming some sort of sporting reason!

Its ok though I still have all the hair on the rest of my body.....That said if my girlfriend wanted me to shave, id do it as much as id dislike to, gotta keep the ladies happy.

I know a guy who used to shave his legs (not even a cyclist) because the girls liked it??? aha.

In all seriousness though, you need to shave up before a cardiologist or a holter monitor so the same would apply here in these less accurate machines.

Last edited:

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Fix for HR monitor

Too all those having HR issues.

I had a Garmin HR that was always erratic from new. Tried licking the pads, changing the battery etc but nothing worked.

What I ended up doing was to rotate the HR monitor 90 degrees so the transponder is on the left side of my body, one pad is on chest and one pad is on your back. It now works every single time. Give it a try, could be issues to do with your body contour and HR contact points.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Too all those having HR issues.

I had a Garmin HR that was always erratic from new. Tried licking the pads, changing the battery etc but nothing worked.

What I ended up doing was to rotate the HR monitor 90 degrees so the transponder is on the left side of my body, one pad is on chest and one pad is on your back. It now works every single time. Give it a try, could be issues to do with your body contour and HR contact points.
Ill give that a shot, ive now tried all the moisture stuff and nothing works. I found it is particularly inaccurate when i wear a particular jersey which is a looser fit, possibly the flapping in the wind may affect it?

Anyway, ill try running it on the side of my body and also shaving down the contact areas... im pretty hairy.

redbruce

Eats Squid
... im pretty hairy.
Given that it reads high for resting rate and exercise rate, unless you have a pacemaker or other potential interfering device on you at those times, thats the most likely reason.

Last edited:

colesy01

Likes Bikes
I have Garmin Edge 500 & sometimes have issues with the HR monitor. Replacing batteries and licking / cleaning the pads both work at different times. I have almost no chest hair so that's not a factor. I thought that the flapping jersey was a figment of my imagination and was only coincidence but now that someone else has the same experience, it may be a real thing. I wear my HR strap just below the pecs and it seems to give pretty repeatable results.