How do you wash you bike?

pascal

Likes Dirt
CT 18 works best
or if i've been to dirt jumps and it gets muddy, take the bike to the carwash on the way home.
are there any easy ways to get marks off silver rims that the brake pads make?

I pressure hose mine at the car wash....few dollars and sparkly clean...

People go on about bad for your bearings and shite but I've never had a problem, and I have unsealed hubs to....

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How to wash your bike

If my bike is muddy when I come back from a ride, I very gently hose it down to get everything wet again. I have a 1 litre spray bottle with some detergent in it, spray bike as needed and I use a small dust broom (Soft bristle) to remove all the crud. The broom allows me to get into the nooks and crannies. I always clean the chain - cassette and chain rings with the same mix but add some hot water, rinse everything off once again with very little pressure from your hose nozzle. I'll give the bike a few bounces and start to dry off with soft clean rags, sometimes a chamois. I use a different rag for the chain, bike leaning on wall and back pedaling while drying with the rag. Then it's time to lube the chain.

astroboy

CORC Trails team
Strip the bike down and put all parts into your mum's washing machine with half a cup of Omo. Whack some white lightening (or similar) and grease into the fabric softener holder of the machine and close it up (the lid may not want to close, but it just takes willpower). Use the Heavy Cycle for muddy bikes, and the lighter cycle for road bikes. Using the 'Perm Press' option on the machine minimises wrinkles in the frame and reduces ironing.

Dug

Likes Dirt
Truck wash (ct20 with wax)from a garden sprayer... Coffee and a biscuit...... Hose.. ;)

jumpers

Likes Dirt
Strip the bike down and put all parts into your mum's washing machine with half a cup of Omo. Whack some white lightening (or similar) and grease into the fabric softener holder of the machine and close it up (the lid may not want to close, but it just takes willpower). Use the Heavy Cycle for muddy bikes, and the lighter cycle for road bikes. Using the 'Perm Press' option on the machine minimises wrinkles in the frame and reduces ironing.
I do this also. To save time i use high water level and jump in myself with my armour on:D

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Just bumping this as I've found the "high pressure rinse" setting at any Carlovers is actually quite useful, provided you have the nozzle at least half a metre away... At this range it's actually more like a soft air/water mix (It's almost like fog) and I can assure you that even a garden hose on a "medium" jet or hard spray setting would be more likely to cause BB/ pivot bearing damage. Note that the pressure is quite severe at close range, but it quickly disperses. Hence I've been using this for the last couple of rides. Try it before you bag it - Perhaps next time you wash your car.

Which brings me to my question: Are high pressure gurneys available with this type of nozzle fitting, that "aerates" the water (it's very difficult to describe!). If something like this was available, I'd buy it and mix in a small amount of CT-18 to clean my bikes (and the rest of the house :rolleyes:)

Thoughts? If this is deemed evil/bad/stupid then I will cease using high pressure sprayers.

chook

Squid
Put some car wash in a pressure spray bottle, pump it up and let rip,have a beer, then rinse off with a watering can of good old h2o,another beer or 2 and bobs your uncle .

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Just bumping this as I've found the "high pressure rinse" setting at any Carlovers is actually quite useful, provided you have the nozzle at least half a metre away... At this range it's actually more like a soft air/water mix (It's almost like fog) and I can assure you that even a garden hose on a "medium" jet or hard spray setting would be more likely to cause BB/ pivot bearing damage. Note that the pressure is quite severe at close range, but it quickly disperses. Hence I've been using this for the last couple of rides. Try it before you bag it - Perhaps next time you wash your car.

Which brings me to my question: Are high pressure gurneys available with this type of nozzle fitting, that "aerates" the water (it's very difficult to describe!). If something like this was available, I'd buy it and mix in a small amount of CT-18 to clean my bikes (and the rest of the house :rolleyes:)

Thoughts? If this is deemed evil/bad/stupid then I will cease using high pressure sprayers.
Quoted as it's rolled onto the next page

Ryder321

Likes Dirt
high pressure hose best thing, blasts everything off in seconds and gets everything off doesn't leave a layer of thin mud from using a rag but do it at night when no ones of the watching cause of water restrictions :)

rhyno

Likes Dirt
Wow! A dig and a spam!
You lose 50 points.

Edit: having just gone through your post history, 50% of them are spamming your product. I suggest you stop before you get banned.

Edit Edit:
To add something constructive here, I just give my bike a hose down on light mains pressure before any mud dries on it. If you leave it to dry it makes the job much harder.
Bike then gets shake off and a dry with a microfibre towel.
I then wipe, lube and wipe the chain.

Last edited:

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
Cleaned cassette, chainrings and mechs with Fairy Liquid the other day, caked on grease came off way easier than using Simple Green or other woosy 'degreaser/cleaners...gear looked like new...

Forget that poofy stuff and go with the Fairy...!

dhd

Downhill Direct
Truck wash (ct20 with wax)from a garden sprayer... Coffee and a biscuit...... Hose.. ;)
Right on the money! Truck wash even makes the tires look good. While I'm at it I usually give the car a quick squirt if it's dirty and hose the lot off.....Clean bike and car in about 10 minutes total!
Go to the Bilt bike website and check my bike (link below...the blue one!) That's truck wash for you!