How hard is it to build a wheel at home without a trueing stand?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I'm getting really sick of having to pay heaps of money every time I need to replace a hub or rim and am wondering about having a go at doing wheel builds myself. I guess a good starting point would be to tape the old rim next to the new one and go spoke by spoke to make sure that the configuration is correct and then maybe put the wheel onto the bike and use a straight edge or something to tighten it up and center/true it?

I've had some pretty crappy builds done at various bike shops over the years, surely it's not that hard to get the wheel in the basic ballpark?

Staunch

Eats Squid
It's not that hard once you've done a few.
I got taught in person but this guide is pretty spot on, and if I ever have a doubt I check back there
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

You could just tape the new rim next to the old one, but most times when you change rims/hubs it's worth buying new spokes, seeing as if you're damaged the rim you've probably damaged the spokes in some way or another.

Once you've done it, just tension all the spokes so they're semi-tight, then stick the wheel back in the forks/drop-outs (if you don't have a truing stand) and stick a zip-tie either side. Using this you can just go round the wheel and tension them each a little until it gets to the right shape, guided by the zip-ties

Nautonier

Eats Squid
It's not that hard once you've done a few.
I got taught in person but this guide is pretty spot on, and if I ever have a doubt I check back there
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

You could just tape the new rim next to the old one, but most times when you change rims/hubs it's worth buying new spokes, seeing as if you're damaged the rim you've probably damaged the spokes in some way or another.

Once you've done it, just tension all the spokes so they're semi-tight, then stick the wheel back in the forks/drop-outs (if you don't have a truing stand) and stick a zip-tie either side. Using this you can just go round the wheel and tension them each a little until it gets to the right shape, guided by the zip-ties
Thanks, the guide by Sheldon Brown is excellent! Really stupid question: is the "freewheel" side the non-drive side of the wheel?

Staunch

Eats Squid
Also when it comes to pre-stressing the wheel, you don't have to lever the spokes, you can just take the wheel out and flex it against the ground, or even just go for a super short ride ;)

T-Rex

Template denier
And if you are talking about a front wheel, the drive side is the brake rotor side.

I'd say building a wheel in a frame would be an extra difficulty if you have not built wheels before. I've built heaps of wheels, but only done one in a frame using the cable tie method, and it was not by choice, we were at a race and were travelling light, without the trueing stand.

You can get a cheap trueing stand off Ebay for $40, it's way better than using a frame:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Bike-Bicycle...Sport_Cycling_Accessories&hash=item27b542ce47

Note this is no where near as good as a Park stand, but it's a fraction of the price. You get what you pay for.

And if you want to do just a rim replacement, by taping the new rim to the old one and transferring the spokes one at a time, the new rim needs to be the same ERD as the old rim. And this is only worth doing if your spokes are reasonably fresh, if they are more than a couple of years old or you have done heaps of riding, you are better off replacing them. Spokes stretch and fatigue with use and become brittle over time.

Last edited:

bipyjamas

Likes Dirt
It should be fine if you take your time. Sheldon's guide is pretty spot on.

Semi-therapeutic as well.

rone

Eats Squid
And if you are talking about a front wheel, the drive side is the brake rotor side.
I always refer to the drive side as the side the drivetrain is on, front or rear. The brake is on the non-drive side.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
It's not ideal, but I use my trainer for doing my wheels.
It may seem odd but works for me. (just rubber band a couple of old spokes to the legs of the trainer as truing guides).
I know it seems ghetto but if you have a trainer it does actually works quite well and is very simple.

Last edited:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
It's not ideal, but I use my trainer for doing my wheels.
It may seem odd but works for me. (just rubber band a couple of old spokes to the legs of the trainer as truing guides).
I know it seems ghetto but if you have a trainer it does actually works quite well and is very simple.

That's a really good idea and I do have a trainer, so I will give it a go. Good to hear that trueing stands can be brought on ebay though for very little $$.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
I build my wheels at home in the bike, no problems at all. Just use the spoke key to judge deviations from true and round, and advanced estimation techniques to get the dish right. Works great.

I think the apparatus you use are far secondary to techniques, experience and skill when building wheels.

- Joel

Isildur

The Real Pedant
I've just finished cutting, gluing, screwing & painting all the parts for my home built truing stand. I purchased the WheelPro book (http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php) and followed the diagrams contained within to build the stand. It has come out really nicely, as as soon the paint is dry, I'm looking forward to spending the time to build & true my own wheels.

The book cost me about $15 for the book (9 GBP), and I had all the material for building the stand lying around the house from previous projects, except a couple of bolts & wingnuts.

If you're planning to do a bit of wheel building at home, this book is highly recommended, as all of the info is well laid out, easy to follow & handy if you get it printed & bound.

Enjoy!

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think the apparatus you use are far secondary to techniques, experience and skill when building wheels.
Quoted for truth.
Every wheel I've ever built has been done on the bike. Patience and experience go a long way in durable , quality wheel builds.

wd40crc

Squid
I'm getting really sick of having to pay heaps of money every time I need to replace a hub or rim and am wondering about having a go at doing wheel builds myself. I guess a good starting point would be to tape the old rim next to the new one and go spoke by spoke to make sure that the configuration is correct and then maybe put the wheel onto the bike and use a straight edge or something to tighten it up and center/true it?

I've had some pretty crappy builds done at various bike shops over the years, surely it's not that hard to get the wheel in the basic ballpark?
easy as if you want to true it just put it back on your bike and do it that way

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quoted for truth.
Every wheel I've ever built has been done on the bike. Patience and experience go a long way in durable , quality wheel builds.
Totally agree. I mostly build on a stand, but I've done a few easily at home in a bike, only issue is getting the dish perfect. But otherwise it's fine. Haven't had a problem at all with my current wheels on my DH bike, which were both built on the bike, except a mangled front after an incident with a large jump, a tree, and a lack of bike handling skills.

scblack

Leucocholic
I've just finished cutting, gluing, screwing & painting all the parts for my home built truing stand. I purchased the WheelPro book (http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php) and followed the diagrams contained within to build the stand. It has come out really nicely, as as soon the paint is dry, I'm looking forward to spending the time to build & true my own wheels.

The book cost me about $15 for the book (9 GBP), and I had all the material for building the stand lying around the house from previous projects, except a couple of bolts & wingnuts.

If you're planning to do a bit of wheel building at home, this book is highly recommended, as all of the info is well laid out, easy to follow & handy if you get it printed & bound.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the link! Like one of the reviewers, I built my first wheels as a teenager (bmx), but have never had a proper resource. I reckon I'll get this book, and then update my rims on my DH bike - kinda just cause I can!

scblack

Leucocholic
Actually, and I am sure it must do - does it have a section on truing wheels currently on the bike? Or is that a simple part of the wheel building as described anyway?

redbruce

Eats Squid
Building wheels is relatively straight forward as long as you have mechanical empathy, understanding and experience.

I've been building my own wheels for at least 20 years and have found Roger Mussons e book (google it ) pretty spot on. Particularly wading through the hype.

Yes you can true wheels in frame, however its so much easier in a stand and with a dishing tool (roger gives plans for serviceable home built versions).

Biggest issue and most critical is getting tension right. Its the difference between a round thing made of hub, spokes and rim and a wheel.

Make no mistake true wheel building is a skill bordering on art.

0psi

Eats Squid
Handy hint, you dont need a dishing tool, just flip the wheel around in your stand/bike. Ie- set a point (or zip tie) touching one side of the rim, take the wheel out and flip it 180 and put it back into the stand, it'll give you a perfect gauge of dish! If you intend on building a lot of wheels do yourself a favour and get a tension gauge, don't need anything fancy like the DT one, the Park one will do fine. A make-shift laceing jig is handy too, basically something that can hold the hub centred to the rim. It sits horizontally and I've found it much easier to get a nice even spoke tension when using one.