How to make Trail building sound sexy Danoz Direct Style

8738br

Likes Bikes
Dam right there are far too many lazy f@#kers out there not pulling their weight.

Rake, shovel and my new favourite tool - the pick (even better than a matic) are all you need

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
• Being able to sleep in
Funny you should say that. Up here in Townsville, you have to get out early or it's too hot.

Just got back from a working bee to de berm before the big wet. We started at 6am and by 8.30am it was over 30 degrees and about 80% humidity.

Anyone who saw us come down would have gone up looking for the swimming hole ;)

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Guys - are you tired of sharing the gym with hotties in Lycra bouncing along to Zumba music?

Are you looking for a more manly kind of workout?

Head for the hills with Kokoda Boot Camp where you'll battle heat, mud, humidity, giant leeches, ticks and marchflies among other manly men. Learn the correct way to swing a pick, hoist a shovel, and pick the best trail line. Build berms alongside sweaty guys in holey t- shirts and ratty shorts while you get that full-body workout hauling dirt. Feel the satisfaction of knowing you've made the track a better ride for everyone whilst working on your own fitness...there's nothing like the smell of testosterone and BO in the morning!

No credit card required, bring your own tools and plenty of water.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Don't mind my weird sense of humour... My previous profession was landscape gardening, for years I relied on my work to keep me fit. I miss it, actually.

Nmag

Likes Dirt
SIGNS on trees along trail:

Would you like to continue to ride this trail? From 31st January we are confiscating the bikes of all riders who do not have the word DIG tattooed on the forearm. Get your tattoo this Sunday at the BIG DIG. Proceeds of confiscated bikes will help fund a new shower and bike wash to be installed at the trail-head late 2011.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt

Would you like to continue to ride this trail? From 31st January we are confiscating the bikes of all riders who do not have the word DIG tattooed on the forearm. Get your tattoo this Sunday at the BIG DIG. Proceeds of confiscated bikes will help fund a new shower and bike wash to be installed at the trail-head late 2011.
ha ha very good! but on a more serious note we do need to foster a sense of ownership of the trails. Something along the lines of 'all mountainbikers are responsible for the trails they ride'. We need to encourage users to maintain the trails when they are out riding...remind them that you dont have to volunteer you days off to be 'giving back' (although extra people power is always welcome). Things like.

• Dont just ride past that huge loose rock in the middle of the trail, kick it out of the way.
  • Move that branch thats fallen over the trail if you can.
  • Report a fallen tree to the trail faries or land manager.
  • Pick up any litter if you see it and drop it in a bin at the trailhead.
If everyone just did a tiny bit of this kind of stuff the trails would be in a lot better condition.

martinpb

Likes Dirt

mmm... talk about missing the point - The whole idea is to get people to see trail building as a possitive activity in itself, not to guilt or bully them into attending trail days.

As the HFF said "... i was only coming out to build out of a sense of guilt that i don't do any work on the trials, now i'm looking forward to the next opportunity to build a nice track"

With a bit of luck and work, once the IMBA track plan for Lysterfieldis published, LDTR/Trailmix/Parks can arrange to make it easy for people to turn up any weekend day or even weekday nights and do some work that is pushing towards the eventual goal of implementing that plan.

Lanky got it right though - the building was fun and enough of a workout that i didn't feel much like i needed a ride after the session. Won't be giving up riding for building, but i'm looking forward to getting out again doing something possitive about good tracks too :)

Martin

andrewG

Likes Dirt
reading this thread = best start to the day

I actually like building trails, but most of my mates around my suburb are farkin lazy.

I reckon I'll set up a booby trap so as soon as you head down the trail a huge spring-loaded boxing glove flys out from behind a tree and smacks you straight in the forehead leaving an imprint of the word DIG in a bright red and blue bruise

epic09

Squid
^^ haha nice mate!

I agree with a couple of posts back. I love been able to ride a track and be like "fuck yeah! I made that!". I ride alot of good quality tracks but I still love mine as one of my fav's. Also seeing other people enjoy it gives you a warm feeling inside

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Want more time with your kids? Want to get fit? Want to achieve something for your community?
Try "Trail Maintenance" the new craze that's sweeping Australia.
The family the maintains trail together, stays together.
And remember it's not Child Labour, it's Community Service.

I've been taking my son (5) out clearing trail for the last year or so, giving him a feeling of ownership of our local trails. Obviously that wont work in all situations, but every little bit helps. We fix them and then we ride them; together.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Want more time with your kids? Want to get fit? Want to achieve something for your community?
Try "Trail Maintenance" the new craze that's sweeping Australia.
The family the maintains trail together, stays together.
And remember it's not Child Labour, it's Community Service.

I've been taking my son (5) out clearing trail for the last year or so, giving him a feeling of ownership of our local trails. Obviously that wont work in all situations, but every little bit helps. We fix them and then we ride them; together.
That's excellent! :)