How to Paint Frames (Plow Style)

dhsam

Likes Dirt
Coram It will ususally say on the back of the spray package also as I'm sure there are many kids here such as myself don't bother walking into a hardware store (to buy paint) by yourself as well at bunnings anyway they have it locked behind a cage.... But I just painted my Tramp bike an autumn green I think and it looks sick. Great advice it really helped me out guys:)

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Instead of starting a new thread I thought I may aswell post here. Not sure if this thread is dead and gone but it's worth a shot.

So I've just bought another frame (Evil Imperial mind you :D) and it has a few scratches etc which I want to see gone. I was thinking about getting someone to paint it blue for me (which can be seen here).
However, a friend has told me that there is alot of work involved in reguards to the amount of work to be done previous to painting. He also said that it would be best that I don't get it sand blasted as it will take thin layers off the walls thus making the frame weaker.

So what choices do I have?

Keen to hear some feedback :)

yakuza type R

Likes Dirt
hello guys, well im finaily paintin my rims and im just wondering if anyone knew the colour name of the demax yellwo rims???

thanks for your help. and would it be smart to take my rims apart to paint them or jus mask up the spokes and hubs and paint the rims??

sit_still

Likes Dirt
i followed everything to the book, frame prep, stripping, etch priming, then light even coats, all up i used about 3 cans or yellow 1 and a bit black and a coat of clear, i applied coats to the point of almost running as specified and gave 1 -2 days between coats, finish is very good and looks deep and smooth, very minimal orange peel look. the only problem i have with the Plastikote paint is it seems to chip very easily even though its been over a week since my last coat.

never the less im still impressed with the finished product but im unsure how long the paint will last under riding condition

MrPlow

TMBC
i followed everything to the book, frame prep, stripping, etch priming, then light even coats, all up i used about 3 cans or yellow 1 and a bit black and a coat of clear, i applied coats to the point of almost running as specified and gave 1 -2 days between coats, finish is very good and looks deep and smooth, very minimal orange peel look. the only problem i have with the Plastikote paint is it seems to chip very easily even though its been over a week since my last coat.

never the less im still impressed with the finished product but im unsure how long the paint will last under riding condition
It may be chipping because you left too long between coats. Think of it like your gluing the first layer to the next and so on... You leave too long and your not getting any adhesion between the coats.

You also might have just put on too damn much. But I doubt it as I have never had this problem. PICS?!:D

sit_still

Likes Dirt
thats it at the moment, its almost like the paint hasnt hardened in some sections. it chipped really bad from the shock resting on the frame but i need to put velcro there so itll cover it up like i said did everything by the book so im unsure what happened. it does seem to mark easily but thats probably more to do with the colour choice. it should be of though

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 146
  • 0 bytes Views: 175
  • 0 bytes Views: 155
  • 0 bytes Views: 131

MrPlow

TMBC
what temprature was it?
You sandblasted?
Actually 3 cans is a heck of a lot. I used 2 and one of clear from memory :S

mayo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just wondering, would you be able to do the same process with a set of pedals????

Chuteboxe

Likes Bikes
Bring out the Bling brights!

Good colour choice mate! seriously! I have boxing gloves almost the same shade!! Thanks for the info. Ive always been under the impression you had to let the proffessionals have a go at it if you wanted a good job,but you have proved otherwise.:)

Drew.

Eats Squid
Just a question relating dual suspension frames; Do the pivot/bearing faces need to be covered up to avoid being painted on, or will a quick go-over with some sand paper do the trick?

DJR

Likes Dirt
plastikoat

Plow,

There's a few different types of Plastikoat on the plastikoat website - just wondering which one you used - Metal Protekt, Super or Fluorescent? The fluorescent colors look schmick - i'm thinking bright white frame and fluoro green forks (replace the RST decals with Bomber decals hehe) for an old Cromo city/light trail bike that needs a bit of work...

http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Search/ocode---5454/Go_objects---GO

MrPlow

TMBC
Ruckus
Not sure what you mean, but I pushed all my bearings out and greased the housings they were in. This is easier than masking, you just wipe the grease out after.

DJR I have used all those types. The fluro is super hard to apply, you may need to coat a few, then sand with 800 and then apply one final coat. I found it dries really rough, almost gunmetal.
Mostly I just used the standard plastikote (not duracoat or whatever) did use their pearls before too over fluro pink actually:cool:

DJR

Likes Dirt
thanks for all that information... is this the same way that u would repaint forks aswell??
I just did my fork lowers much the same way - removed the fork lowers, cleaned the paint up and took the decals off, apply the paint stripper, wait a couple of minutes, then scraped and scrubbed off the paint, sanded the surface a bit for primer adhesion, applied 2 coats of primer and then 4 coats of Duplicolor that i had lying around from painting my car ages ago. Color was Nissan Dark Blue Met, very nice color, has a bit of a purple pearl effect in there as well as the metallic flakes. The paint job and paint (should be the plastikote or any other somewhat flexible paint) isn't the greatest but they're only RST forks on my city bike (other bike is a 07 norco six 1... no paint needed there). Thing to remember with forks is they WILL scratch - so make sure your primer is done properly and you have plenty of coats. Some clearcoat over the top will help keep things durable.

finkrat

Squid
What went wrong?

Having put more than a few hours into stripping my old but trusty Giant AC down to bare metal and repainting it, to my disappointment the surface of the paint is still so soft you can mark it with your finger nail. Here's how I went about it-

Strip down to bare metal with paint stripper.
Wash down with soapy water.
Wipe over with Prepsol.
2 coats of Plastikote Super Primer, wet on wet
(Next day) 4-5 coats Plastikote Super Enamel, wet on wet.

Weather was low 20's during the day when I painted but cooler that night. I've left the thing in the shed for a month now with quite a few warm days, hoping it would cure but it looks like I have to start again. Despite all the good advice on here I think a trip to the crash repairs or powder coaters is on the cards. Any thoughts on what went wrong?

Cheers