How to: Post Bikes

thanks

your sugestions have helped me alot but i also sugest that when packing that you make sure that your bike is packed properly.

TheBug

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys, this is not really to do with sending a bike but it didn't warrant starting another thread.
How are you guys sending long items such as an uncut seatpost or some handlebars?
Do you put them in those round tubes?

I've also sent a wheel and a few other bits and bobs via smartsend - excellent value even with insurance added on and so quick. But the best part is that they come to you which makes the whole process so much easier. I would use them again for sure.
Btw they now do same day pickup when the booking is completed before 11am.

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
I bought a set of 750mm bars, and they came in a tube.

http://auspost.com.au/personal/packaging-materials.html said:
Sizes and prices of special purpose packaging
Description Dimensions (WxLxH) Price per item
Small mailing tube (60/420) 60 x 420mm $2.00
Medium mailing tube (60/660) 60 x 660mm $2.50
Large mailing tube (90/850) 90 x 850mm $4.45
Diskette and photo mailer (DP) 150 x 200mm $1.00

Deano3

Squid
hey thanks for this info, im not looking to post a bike but its given me a good idea of the postage costs in case I buy one thats interstate

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the help mate, not currently looking at buying a bike but it probably won't be a really long time until I do so it's given me a good idea of what to expect.

CGR

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, this is not really to do with sending a bike but it didn't warrant starting another thread.
How are you guys sending long items such as an uncut seatpost or some handlebars?
Sent a handlebar via Aus post a while ago and simply wrapped them in some packaging plastic and covered that with cardboard. A not quite as simple as slipping it into a tube, but just as effective when there's not one readily available.

saxon.hall.00

Cannon Fodder
Hey guys, wondering if you could help me out. I've just purchased a bike from Sydney, and need it shipped to TAS. I've got quotes from a few of the companies listed in this thread and the best price I have found is $180.00.
I was thinking is splitting the bike in to tyres and frame and sending them separate through AUS Post, has anyone done this? Will it work?? And will it be cheaper?
Cheers

TheBug

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sent a handlebar via Aus post a while ago and simply wrapped them in some packaging plastic and covered that with cardboard. A not quite as simple as slipping it into a tube, but just as effective when there's not one readily available.
Where did you send that and what did that set you back?

panthro

Squid
Hey guys, Im trying to arrange postage for a bike from Launceston to Karratha. Greyhound gave me the best quote of $90 and I know a lot of people recommend them on here. Only thing is that this is uninsured and the bike is worth a few grand. Any recommendations on getting it insured or is it safe enough to send as is? Cheers.

panthro

Squid
Thanks Purt, will try them tomorrow. Got a quote for $148 from Aussie Air Express, $148 from Tas to WA with $1000 loss cover, not enough to cover the whole bike but most other places Ive spoken to dont cover me, not for a reasonable price anyway.

I think its easier to shrink them into a zip file and then e mail it it using my mates laptop using a free hotmail account at a free wi fi spot,cost $0 anywhere in the world

phatwhips

Likes Bikes
if you sold a bike and needed to post it at buyers expense, how would you arrange that? pay for the posting and get the buyer to pay you back or let the buyer arrange the whole thing? how have other people done it?

thanks guys! :)

willsy01

Eats Squid
*Get quotes
*Give quotes to buyer and allow buyer to choose
*Ask buyer to pay $X extra on top of bike to cover whichever postage option they choose

Asking the buyer to organise it is not going to work.

I used http://www.e-go.com.au to get a bike from Hobart to Sydney......took a bit longer than i'd have liked and they didn't respond to any emails I submitted via the contact page, but it arrived and it was only about $65.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
*Get quotes
*Give quotes to buyer and allow buyer to choose
*Ask buyer to pay $X extra on top of bike to cover whichever postage option they choose

Asking the buyer to organise it is not going to work.

I used http://www.e-go.com.au to get a bike from Hobart to Sydney......took a bit longer than i'd have liked and they didn't respond to any emails I submitted via the contact page, but it arrived and it was only about $65.

As above.

I have sent a bike with e-go depot to depot for under $40.

I use 2 bike boxes and double skin the box. You pay for volume not weight in the case of a bike so pack it well and all should be good.

oldstinky75

Likes Dirt
smart send

After taking note of what people had to say I chose these guys to transport my bike. They seem reasonable enough but if I can offer a bit of advice: if you want your bike picked up on a Monday, don't book it on the weekend. I've just went through the booking process on a Sunday night only to find that the necessary email with all the important booking details wont be sent until Monday morning, which for me is too late to forward to the seller. So now I'm frantically emailing said courier company, hoping I can make other arrangements before someone from swift n shift arrives to pick up a box that wont be there.

diggerz

Likes Dirt
I've found with posting bikes that it may be safer to even take off the derailleur, it might sound a bit up-tight, but I'd rather not have a bike posted to my door with a bent derailleur/hanger. Some companies seem to just chuck around parcels without a care in the world. Smart Send sounds like the way to go though, The cheapest I was able to find was Greyhound do $90 bike freight depot to depot nationwide.

bike dealer freight.

I heard about a thing where dealers can ship stuff really cheaply. From the USA and what not. Or maybe that was to purchase online the only way was if you happened to be a dealer?
Not much help was it.

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
Greyhound was used when i bought a complete bike off RB. It was a adelaide to brisbane trip and only took a few days. They were more expensive, i cant recall how much, but they were definitely a great service to be using for such an expensive bike. The cheaper ones sometimes are a bit lazy. I have seen horror stories of friends' bikes getting run over by forklifts during freight. Dont be the next unlucky one and fork out the extra dollars