How to: Post Bikes

When you say dis-assemble the bike, do you mean like the way the bikes come into the bike shop to be reassembled?..or a simpler- loosen and turn bars, remove wheels( btw, air weighs next to nothing so deflating won't reduce weight much) and pedals kinda thing? how small did Smart Send want the bike?/ or just a normal bike box? Thanks for the Info!

Likes Bikes
Probably different in Aus, but over here if you ask allot of bike shops are more than happy to package your bike up for travel.

I've sent about 8 bikes through my local bike shop and they charge about $35 to package the bike up in foam, use fork spacers, brake spacers etc. I've never had any issues with it and I'd definitely say it's worth the extra money.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
www.temando.com is another one to try.

Rather than being a transport company themselves, they will try and track down the best price from a number of other transport companies.

I'm yet to use them for a bike but have used them for a car engine and other parts and they were cheap and very good.

booerns

Likes Dirt
Hi,

I know this post is slightly old, but I am looking at buying a DH bike that's interstate and have been looking for rough quotes so I know what to expect, however all three of these websites have said that the size of the (rough estimates) bike box are significantly too large for their services. Just looking for some help with this?

Cheers

wombat

Lives in a hole
Hi,

I know this post is slightly old, but I am looking at buying a DH bike that's interstate and have been looking for rough quotes so I know what to expect, however all three of these websites have said that the size of the (rough estimates) bike box are significantly too large for their services. Just looking for some help with this?

Cheers
Just tried a doing a quote with smartsend for a box of 160x110x50cm (which is massive for a bike box) and it happily spat out a quote. If the seller can't get a bike in a box that size then you must be buying the world's biggest DH bike!

Edit: probably should add that I've recently had a bad experience with smartsend, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend them. Bike got there ok, but they later tried to invoice me for an oversize box, and it was a bit of a fight to convince them I was right to start with.

I've heard decent things about Pack & Send, and they'll do bike carton size no worries.

Last edited:

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dumb question

Should you let air out of the shocks if posting and it goes in a plane?

stevenj

Banned
Freight service

I think you have a great experience to postage things. Here you have mentioned some courier service provider . I think all are good but I personally used stqtransport to postage some of my personal materials in Australia.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
I think you have a great experience to postage things. Here you have mentioned some courier service provider . I think all are good but I personally used stqtransport to postage some of my personal materials in Australia.
Welcome stevenj. How will the cats go this year?

hanmit

Cannon Fodder
Cheapest company for shipping Melbourne to Perth

Hey,

looking at shipping a bike over to Perth from Melbs... can anyone recommend a good cheapish one?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Just went Transdirect who use Toll IPEC and or Allied. They supply good tracking, insurance - up to $1500 included in the price and delivered door to door (Syd to Melb) in < 18 hours and cost half what Startsend were charging. If it is a full bike box- go these guys- even cheaper business to business.

heavyp

You heard it here first
Getting a DH bike from Tasmania to Brisbane what the cheapest way, I came across one site that quoted me $1145 and they use TNT haha jokers.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Getting a DH bike from Tasmania to Brisbane what the cheapest way, I came across one site that quoted me $1145 and they use TNT haha jokers.
Smartsend I got a reign down 18 months ago from brissy to tas for around $120 so I wouldn't expect them to be more than $150.

Otherwise Greyhound they're $200 flat fee.

heavyp

You heard it here first
Smartsend I got a reign down 18 months ago from brissy to tas for around $120 so I wouldn't expect them to be more than $150.

Otherwise Greyhound they're $200 flat fee.
Im having no luck think im a rookie haha bike is heavier 20kilos and Im not to sure how big bike boxes are or how the guy would pack it Smartsend is saying 321 buks almost more than the item its self

bnoob

Squid
Had a good experience with Transdirect when purchasing a bike from interstate (from a Rotorburner!). From memory it was only around the $100 mark. Quick with no problems.