Husky 100 - new date June 20th

JessD

Likes Dirt
June is a terrific time

Just did my annual race calender today and June is the goods.
We have a 6hr race in Forrest, victoria on the 6th and then the Husky 100km 2 weeks later - PERFECT!!!

Cant wait to finally see what the area has to offer.

cog_nition

Likes Dirt
So...given the amount of rain that has fallen on the South Coast recently, even if there is no rain for the next three weeks and given it is predominantly clay soil, will it still be dry enough to race? And I'm not trying to be mischievous.
Mark

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Getting closer, getting excited, getting nervous... :cool:

Anyone have any thoughts on the elevation profile on the website?

They say 1800 to 2000m climbing for the 100, which doesn't sound like thaat much more than the Capital Punishment. Am I deluding myself? The profile looks like a sawtooth :eek:

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
They say 1800 to 2000m climbing for the 100, which doesn't sound like thaat much more than the Capital Punishment. Am I deluding myself? The profile looks like a sawtooth :eek:
Don't ever delude yourself 100k's is 100k's its never easy but looking at the profile looks like no MASSIVE climbs but a lot of up and down. Sometimes the easy they look on paper the harder you push and you end up hurtin just the same. Pretty sure that he winning time would be low very low 4hrs...................as long as it don't rain.:rolleyes:

struggles

Likes Dirt
There is no massive climbs at all.

You could ride the whole course in the middle ring.

Unless it rains even more, which is forecast.

mooze

Likes Bikes
It'll be one of the "easier" 100kers around - no big climbs, lots of fun track.

When we were down in February after the big drenching on the Friday 8 days before race we had four days of dry weather which left the tracks really nice for riding until the second big soaking started at Callala on the Saturday morning. We're keeping an eye on the long range forecast, biggest issue is lack of accuracy this far out (and that the forecast is based on probability of rain somewhere in the district, not actual amounts in a small area - and it differs greatly across the Illawarra district - Elders Weather).

beeza

Likes Bikes
for anyone that knows the course/tracks up there, and considering it will be an "easier" 100km, would a dually be of any advantage over a hardtail?

it seems there isnt alot of singletrack, are the other areas rutted out and rocky, or reasonably smooth?

I live 5 min ride from the trails comprising of the "Callala 100". Its pissing down at the moment and the weekend SCUM races at the Butterfly track have already been called off. Lets hope the weather gods give us all they've got all weekend and then give us a couple of weeks of sunshine like the forecast suggests. A hardtail wouldn't be too much of a disadvantage over the 100ks, but I guess it really depends what your body has to say about it. Mine says, if I ride a hardtail for 100ks, I wont be walking for a couple of days.

mooze

Likes Bikes
We're hoping same as you - it gives it everything this weekend. We've been talking with a weather service and the one thing we're concerned about is some rain from the tropics that they think may be around between the 20th and 22nd. They still give us the lovely disclaimer though about how inaccurate forecasting is especially more than three days out. :rolleyes:

mooze

Likes Bikes
The below is taken from eldersweather.com.au (excuse the formatting I'm having a gumby morning - more coffee required). If there's no High, Low, Medium below the date, there's no rain forecast for the region. If this is correct (and we'll keep checking it) we should get at least 5 days of no rain before the race.

Illawarra 28-day rainfall forecast
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
High

Low

Med

Low

Low

High

Med

Low

HamishS

Likes Dirt
Mooze if you keep on posting these sort of comments (and we love them) ... someone might try and hold you to it! :p

5 days of no rain would be a god send at this moment. Looked like a nice day in Sydney today till another shower just came across Bondi!

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
If this is correct (and we'll keep checking it) we should get at least 5 days of no rain before the race.
Well it can't rain forever, and I'm lookin forward to pre-riding the course on the 19th, so it's not allowed to rain.

HamishS

Likes Dirt
Weather / trail update

Just wondering if any locals can give us an update on how the weather / trail is holding up down there at the moment.

Am running Ignitors F&R at the moment though if there is any prediction that its going to be fairly bad may have to go out this weekend and look for something that is going to spread the mud a bit better?

Forecast for next week on the net seems as though there will be a few days of good weather prior - though I'm not that trusty of these sites.

Rode parts of the track yesterday on the northern side of the forest rd. Has dried out considerably, but still could do with more wind and sun. The fireroads that were like glue a week ago are less tacky, but there are certainly lines to take to keep out of the wet. The tracks should be in great shape by next weekend if the forecasts stay true, as for tyre choice, I think I'm gunna go for some black ones!:D