Husky 100 - new date June 20th

Newton

Likes Dirt
Thanks Jackstack - not being a local I am still well in the dark!
Hamish the ignitors front and back will be fine, what other tyres do you have as a matter of interest ? I think I'm riding sweep for the 50kms, I'll see you there ... I volunteered, and I'm waiting to see what I'll have to do on the day ... either way should be fun .

Last edited:

Rambler

Likes Dirt
rain forecast

Sunday
Jun 20

17°C
5°C

80% chance of rain 5-10mm

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cog_nition

Likes Dirt
Sunday
Jun 20

17°C
5°C

80% chance of rain 5-10mm

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where are you getting the forecast from?
BOM is predicting isolated showers thursday nothing beyond then. Sydney is fine until showers sunday..... (different area but often get rain if the illawarra does). Elders are saying >75% chance of preciptation somewherer in the area. But also suggesting no widespread rain events until the 23rd!

Was thinking the forcast was looking pretty positive:confused:

Last edited:

Rambler

Likes Dirt
Where are you getting the forecast from?
BOM is predicting isolated showers thursday nothing beyond then. Sydney is fine until showers sunday..... (different area but often get rain if the illawarra does). Elders are saying >75% chance of preciptation somewherer in the area. But also suggesting no widespread rain events until the 23rd!

Was thinking the forcast was looking pretty positive:confused:
At weatherzone.

check here- back down to 5mm now although still 80% chance for rain for Nowra.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/nsw/illawarra/nowra

mooze

Likes Bikes
We had our 12 and 24hr adventure race out there on the weekend (not on the single track though). A few areas (clay based, mainly north side of Forest Rd) would become very tacky and glue like, however should not be too bad with around 5mm in them. A few of the sandy and dusty patches will benefit from it. So much of a muchness in overall effect.

BOM is currently only Thursday rain (chance of showers) and then nothing till 23rd. Elders has a few more chances of rain. Thing is it could be anywhere around here. We had one isolated shower on Saturday night that was literally myola campground to halfway down callala beach and that was it - teams out in the forest at the time didn't get any of it. :confused:

Riderdown

Likes Bikes
Living in Callala and riding the local trails I'd be expecting a fast ride. It looks like the Thursday showers will be minimal but more likely won't happen.
The bush here is predominantly hard packed and whilst there is some sandy spots and some rocky sections they are minimal. There will be some muddy holes, there always is in some spots, that it would be best to get off and pick away around on foot (have a stretch while your at it).
Anyway the local bush is good at present, fast and mozzie free. You'll have fun.
cheers
Matt

cog_nition

Likes Dirt
I'm getting excited, thanks for the updates. Running Nobby Nics front and Racing Ralphs rear for this one, actually i'm trialling it as my winter set-up. Normally run RR front and rear. Bring it on!!:D

Newton

Likes Dirt
I'll see you all there ... literally see you all, I'll be marshalling the 50 ker's, so I'll have time to see you all go past, enjoy the race and remember to say hello ....:D

HamishS

Likes Dirt
Matt - any update on the rain down there today? And are you guy's expecting anymore over the next couple of days?

No rain in callala today, Lots of strong mud drying westerlys. Looks like we're in for a good weekend. In comparison to the Capital Punishment, the trails around here are exhibiting desert like properties and should be a fast flowing ride. Superbowl track is a little sketchy on the descent, motos have hurt it a bit so maybe worth a little caution here as not much to gain but alot to lose. Good Luck to all, enjoy 3 of SCUMs great tracks!

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Looking forward to not racing this one, but looking forward to pre-riding the course tomorrow arvo/evening, in an official role of course, I think the theory is if my mate and I can find our way in the dark then you guys shouldn't have too much trouble in daylight.
How's temp been at night this week? I now it was freakin cold at Coolendel last w'end, but its usually a little better closer to the coast, should I be takin long arm and legs (warmers)?
That superbowl descent seems to always cop it from the motos, we saw about four turds coming up that descent one day hootin and hollering up the top about how good is was, then took off before we had a chance to give a gob full.

Last edited:

Riderdown

Likes Bikes
For a local weather update DIYMTB.com.au has a weather station based in Callala so watch that and you will get a good reading on what to expect.

frameskin

Squid
Go Husky 100

I can't make it down for the event, but I have sent down Frameskin samplers for rider race bags.
Have a great day at Callala and keep the rubber side down.
Al. ;)

mooze

Likes Bikes
Jackstack - longs definitely required - it's meant to get down to around 8 degrees tomorrow evening. Not too bad in the forest but you can feel the cool air when you get near the permanent puddles.

So far so good - forecast for Sunday is fine with late isolated showers along the coast in the south (illawarra - BOM).

800 course arrows and crosses are out, 2k of bunting, and several rolls of orange tape. We have moto riders leading out both 100kers and 50kers. Scouts and Cubs ready to help with drinks, fruit and jelly snakes at the various aid stations, VRA taking control of the road crossing, St John first aid (plus paramedics) on hand, and the local sports clubs putting on BBQ's as fundraisers at the finish area.

Track is looking great - some sandy areas, rocky areas, and one or two permanent puddles to keep your feet cool.

Cya's out there! :)

Newton

Likes Dirt
Well done Matt & Amanda, congratulations on your first MTB event, well run and a great day had by all. :D