Husky 100 - new date June 20th

Rambler

Likes Dirt
Any results that we can see? Can anyone share the top 5?
Red racer first in 4 hours flat. From memory I think second was 10min further back. Really fast course. The majority, if all racers in the 100km were back in by 7hours. There was not one or two but rather 10-15, not puddles but swimming pools of mud, some waist deep. Good organisation, great vibe and fantastic weather.

cog_nition

Likes Dirt
Good job Blackheart Events!

Red racer first in 4 hours flat. From memory I think second was 10min further back. Really fast course. The majority, if all racers in the 100km were back in by 7hours. There was not one or two but rather 10-15, not puddles but swimming pools of mud, some waist deep. Good organisation, great vibe and fantastic weather.
+1
Hats off to Blackheart Events, well run race, course was alot of fun, good mix of single track, double track (which was essentially wide single track) and fire road and decent showbags (for once!). Great day on the bike!

dinosaur_mtb

Likes Dirt
Yes well run event. A huge thanks for South Coast United MTB Club for the provision of your tracks! Thanks again to al volunteers - I hope you are rewarded with a worthy donation.

(One potentially serious concern was with the speed at which 2 motor cycle sweeper riders rode some of the single track in the last 15km or so. Having crossed one of the deepest and ugliest mud crossings, there followed a bit of an uphill section and then a downhill section which was very closely wooded with casuarinas. If some bicycle rider had actually stopped in there and was getting back on track there is no way the MC rdiers would have seen them and there would have been a potential fatality with the speed at which those MC were travelling. :mad:)

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
While I didn't ride the race , my mate and I test rode the course on sat evening to make sure no-one was gonna get lost on Sunday and had a ball. We both thought the course had a good fun factor and was gonna be VERY fast for the race and lookin at the times I guess that was a fair assumption. The puddles/creeks/ponds whatever you want to call them, while there was lots of 'em we only had to walk through 1 of them (at the 15k mark twice), but I guess we had the luxury of being able to take the time to scope out a path around them (bit of bush bashing involved).
The only hiccup was somewhere between 90-95k's we missed a turn off but didn't realise till we saw the 15k marker again, oops, it was then we remembered the instructions on the location of the missed turn (must of been tired or something). We were now getting VERY cold so decided to pull the maps out (if only we done that 20mins ago), and head for the road which we decided was the quickest way back but unfortunately the coldest (due to the wet feet), so eventually arrive back at camp at midnight, frostbitten and hungry but with a few extra k's than anticipated. While it took us a little longer that we expected (8hrs with about 6.5 hrs peddle time), we both pondered the thought of a night time 100k race and how cool that would be......................, but maybe at a slightly warmer time of the year.
Looks like everything went well for Matt and the Blackheart crew so congrats there and will definitely be back for this one, to race or pre-ride at night again, difficult choice??:cool:

beeza

Likes Bikes
i had a ball coming up from victoria. as above great organisation and volenteers etc.

i think the people of callala beach might be a bit pissed though. the race was in their town, at their rsl, and it was called the huski100??? huski is 40k away and the race goes no where near it.

fast course, not sure my bike will ever be the same again. went head first into 1 foot deep sludge, i couldnt see a way around most of them puddles, but after the first one it didnt matter anyway. and managed to snag a podium spot after thinking i was no where near it

had a great time. 11hr drive home not so much fun

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
went head first into 1 foot deep sludge,.

and managed to snag a podium spot after thinking i was no where near it

had a great time.
Yeh, everyone we spoke to on Sunday morning wanting a heads up on the course, no.1 on the list was DONT try and ride through the water\mud\sludge.
And you snagged that podium 'cos you were willing to put your body on the line, (or in the mud)!!

cog_nition

Likes Dirt
Yeh, everyone we spoke to on Sunday morning wanting a heads up on the course, no.1 on the list was DONT try and ride through the water\mud\sludge.
And you snagged that podium 'cos you were willing to put your body on the line, (or in the mud)!!
....And bike, was interesting having this race with fresh memories of the Capital Punishment. You could tell the riders who'd just rebuilt their rigs. Easier wash mud out of shoes and off legs than BBs and hubs!!;)

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
....And bike, was interesting having this race with fresh memories of the Capital Punishment. You could tell the riders who'd just rebuilt their rigs. Easier wash mud out of shoes and off legs than BBs and hubs!!;)
I was very concious of trying to keep the mud out of the drive train. Unfortunately on a couple of the bigger holes you needed to balance on something to get through the sippery clay.
I saw one unfortunate towards the end who was lifting his bike through a particularly muddy hole when his leg cramped and he went in face first bike and all. He had a nice white long sleeve short on too.

Great Work Matt, Amanda and all the Blackheart crew. Totally enjoyable day, Lots of puddles, didn't seem to matter after the second one, it was a case of , well feet are satched so lets just trudge through it! Great use of the local Callala trails. That grinding sandy climb at the end of the coondoo got me, brought on 6 different cramps simultaneously, will definetly stop and stretch next time before this happens instead of thinking I can make it to the next food stop. Great decision back in April to postpone the event, the puddles then must have required a snorkel!

gbowen444

Likes Dirt
Great event

I had a ball and really like the event. The organisation and trail were great. I really liked how the single track was broken up in to small sections and how even what could be described as fire road was fun as most of it was narrow and interesting.

One note though was the elevation profile that was posted on the Blackheart site was completely different to what I experienced. The following is from my Garmin (first and last 50k)

Attachments

Last edited:

Pile

Likes Bikes
i think the people of callala beach might be a bit pissed though. the race was in their town, at their rsl, and it was called the huski100??? huski is 40k away and the race goes no where near it.
Shhhhhh. We won't care if people head over to Husky looking for trails after the good press the race has received. More space on the dirt for us.....

dinosaur_mtb

Likes Dirt
Good point but I'd say the name will stick.

Maybe something like the "Combi Challenge" or the "Combi 100" would have been a bit more neutral wrt villages etc? (Comberton Gorge with the combined SCUM tracks).

tedmann

Squid
Shhhhhh. We won't care if people head over to Husky looking for trails after the good press the race has received. More space on the dirt for us.....
Actually, I was wondering how much of the single track is available to ride? I only rode the 50, so don't know what I missed in the 100, but mud holes aside I'd like to ride some of it again.

beeza

Likes Bikes
from memory in the 100 there was about 3 sections of st, all felt about the same length, but i may be remembering wrongly. all good fun, appropriate level of technicalness for the race i would say.

someone may have better info than that im sure

cog_nition

Likes Dirt
Three sections Superbowl, Butterfly and Coondoo. The first section at around with the steep flowy downhill section was superbowl, the middle one with the technical climbing section near the top was Butterfly and the last section Coondoo. Up until the race I'd not ridden Coondoo but loved it!! SCUM have done great work inspite of the obvious counter productive efforts of the moto-x crowd!! Frustrating no doubt.

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Actually, I was wondering how much of the single track is available to ride? I only rode the 50, so don't know what I missed in the 100, but mud holes aside I'd like to ride some of it again.
Ted the best ST you rode in the fifty would of been coondoo starting around the 15-20k mark I'm guessing, it started about 65k into the 100. That is definitely rideable anytime, maybe consider the Shack Attack 6hr there on the 18th July I think it is, I'll be there, i think there could be a thread here about it somewhere but some info on the SCUM website. There was some other stuff early on and later on that I think was private property but the main bit was Coondoo.
If you want a good day out though its best to head to Coondoo and link up Coondoo, Superbowl & Butterfly, easily done and if you take direct routes in between, not too far.

tedmann

Squid
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I'm looking forward to getting down there again soon. Also thanks for the heads up on the water holes (read "mud") Jackstack, although by the time we went through I'm sure I wadded through about 5 of them....