Husky 100 - new date June 20th

I have to admit that after Capital P. and the Husky mud pools I'm really starting to like mud and look forward to riding through more of it......assuming I don't need to replace anything afterwards(again)

If your not busy at the moment, you should come back down. Its just started raining again.Mud, mud and more mud. I think the weather gods might of thought that we took to much water out of the puddles over the weekend and decided to top them back up! Great timing though, All the fire trails should be back to there pristine slimy clay surface that they have seemed to be most of the year.
As for Coondoo, The Shak Attack 6hr is on there Sun July 18. Was a fantastic event organised by a couple of local SCUM members. It is possilbly the most affordable non club enduro going round. Make a weekend of it and get around to the other tracks while your here!;)

kerbs

Likes Bikes
singletrack in the 50

Actually, I was wondering how much of the single track is available to ride? I only rode the 50, so don't know what I missed in the 100, but mud holes aside I'd like to ride some of it again.
Hi Ted

The only 'official' singletrack in the 50 was Coondoo, on Forest Rd just after you've gone past the first lot of rural houses after you turn off the Princes Hwy.

That really nice flowy bit about 7km in, that took you down to the dam, is actually private property that shouldn't be ridden outside of the event. In saying that though, there's other arrows up along it and obviously the moto's get to it a fair bit also.

It would be appreciated if the majority could stay away from it though, makes life easier when it comes to negotiating the use of the land with the Shaolin Temple Foundation into the future.

Last edited:

tedmann

Squid
Thanks Kerbs, I hope all will bear that in mind. Legal singletrack is hard enough to come by these days, we wouldn't want to spoil it for the future by being irresponsible.

I agree, great race but the photography left a bit to be desired. They could have set up in more interesting locations to catch the action..

sly_artichoke

Likes Dirt
Usually I'm happy to chip in and support the photographers for these events and get my little personal reward of images that'd otherwise escape me. This time though, I agree with you - the quality, and quantity, wasn't there. Sorry, Marathon, not this time.

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Usually I'm happy to chip in and support the photographers for these events and get my little personal reward of images that'd otherwise escape me. This time though, I agree with you - the quality, and quantity, wasn't there. Sorry, Marathon, not this time.
Agreed. My thoughts exactly.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
I agree, great race but the photography left a bit to be desired. They could have set up in more interesting locations to catch the action..
Yes - all a bit bland. None of people going through the SCUMs great tracks, narrow bridges and ladders etc, none of would-be-riders through the mud puddles, creeks ... many opportunities but lost.

Rambler

Likes Dirt
A mate of mine had his first 100km event in the Husky and I am sure he would have been keen to buy. However, he only had 3 photos taken during the entire time out on course. $50 for 3 photos. No thanks!!!

Last edited:

abevern

Likes Dirt
How Much Faster?

I concur on the photos. I paid my money and got 7 photos. There's one good photo in there. The rest are either boring, or focussed on my crotch. (Obviously, they couldn't be both at once :D )

That aside, the course was obviously pretty fast. I was a good 2 hours faster than my previous 100km best (Dirt Works). The main confounding factor is that I was on a different bike - so I was wondering what others found? How many hours (or seconds) faster were you compared to Dirt Works?

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I concur on the photos. I paid my money and got 7 photos. There's one good photo in there. The rest are either boring, or focussed on my crotch. (Obviously, they couldn't be both at once :D )

That aside, the course was obviously pretty fast. I was a good 2 hours faster than my previous 100km best (Dirt Works). The main confounding factor is that I was on a different bike - so I was wondering what others found? How many hours (or seconds) faster were you compared to Dirt Works?
No more Turner Sultan?

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
I think times were quick across the board as there weren't any gut wrenching climbs that create that big divide between the guns and the mere mortals hence the narrower gap between the super quicks and joe average. It's a lot easier to maintain a good average speed and also get back up to speed after any inclines when they don't hurt as much. I also believe that is whats gonna fill this event up next year (asuming its back), its a deadset pearler ot have a crack at your first 100K'er.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Great Work Matt, Amanda and all the Blackheart crew. Totally enjoyable day, Lots of puddles, didn't seem to matter after the second one, it was a case of , well feet are satched so lets just trudge through it! Great use of the local Callala trails. That grinding sandy climb at the end of the coondoo got me, brought on 6 different cramps simultaneously, will definetly stop and stretch next time before this happens instead of thinking I can make it to the next food stop. Great decision back in April to postpone the event, the puddles then must have required a snorkel!
+1 thanks Amanda and Matt, so glad the weather Gods were smiling this time, I'll be back

I was about 1hr10mins faster than my DW100 7:50 down to 6:39...the pros something like only 10 mins faster. I've been doing more riding, especially hills, so I think that helped too. Not quite sure how this works but in 50km I can sometimes finish in the top quartile yet in 100kms I'm always up the back...must be the dodgy back, does seem to get sore in the second half. Not that it matters I had fun.

mooze

Likes Bikes
Hey guys
Feedback on the photographers has been passed onto the head of the company.

If you've got any specific feedback you don't want to put on the forum please feel welcome to email or message me - the positive feedback so far has been fantastic (thank you all very much) - but if you've got a gripe etc you don't want to put up or just something you'd like to see us do differently in future - send it through.

Things for next year - more food at finish line, a couple more sections of bunting in specific areas, photogs in our selected spots not theirs. We're still trying to convince the sports clubs doing the BBQ to move into the HQ area.

Also if we do put on barefoot lawn bowls for families etc that are left to spectate - would anyone find this useful (ie activities for other half/kids as assistance in getting a leave pass?)?

nskz

Likes Dirt
As with most people, great weekend, was a lot of fun...although that steady climb at the 90-ish km mark was almost the end of me. Other that going arse over tit into a mud puddle I thought it would be a good idea to try and ride threw at the 10km point I had a ball.

Just thought I'd throw out a lost and found request. I left a blue/white MET helmet with an ayup 'ghecko' light bracket on the top of the wall where the gurney was setup after the race (right above the tap). If anyone happens to know of it's whereabouts give me a yell. Tiny chance I know but I thought i'd throw it out there.

JBR

Likes Dirt
A long shot but I left my helmet behind last weekend- anyone find one? It was a laser 02 (gay) roadie type helmet