Husky 100 - New Event

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Only place I've ever come to a screaming halt downhill without brakes, well not conventional brakes, more like mud brakes.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With the rain we been having as Newton said and Fi's photo's show the Fire roads down there are shockers but in my experience 2-3 days of good weather and its all good. For instance at Xmas went down one day after rain, HORRIBLE, two days later after no rain it was all good.
After solid rain the single track holds up pretty good except for areas where it puddles up, but the clay base on those fire roads sticks like S#*T to a blanket doesn't matter what tyres you got.
The forecast at the BOM looks more promising for the latter half of next week though so don't freak out too much just yet, but if its bucketing down next Sat it'll be a long day Sunday.
Cool. I'll hold out for an update on Friday or Saturday then. Riding through conditions that will make my bike look like the one in Fi's pics definitely doesn't interest me. Thanks all for the info.

Fi

Chocolate Foot
Cool. I'll hold out for an update on Friday or Saturday then. Riding through conditions that will make my bike look like the one in Fi's pics definitely doesn't interest me. Thanks all for the info.
Didn't intend to put anyone off! I just remembered I had those pics from a few years ago, had fun keeping the car on the road on the drive in, and the bike cleaning process was extremely tedious as you can imagine! The pics are from the Butterfly Rd area, other areas may be less claggy but I haven't lived here long enough to know. I do agree with Jackstack in that after a couple of days of dry, things are pretty good.

mooze

Likes Bikes
Hi all - I'm Amanda (the other organiser)

1) Fastest way from Canberra is via Tarago, Oallen Ford Rd (sp?), then Nerriga Rd - I've done Canberra to Callala in 2:17 before in the troopy (check road works first though on Nerriga Rd)

2) We'll update on the trails on Tuesday - go over them as much as possible Monday. Reroutes will be done if needed in conjunction with State Forest representatives. Also have water pumps ready to go if there's too much standing water in areas (expect a couple of puddles but we'll try for not too many) (Map will be revealed on Saturday at rego).

3) Butterfly Rd area (fire trails) on North Side of Forest Rd and then the area of the State Forest down near the Princes Hwy/Forest Rd intersection on South Side are the worst in terms of clay - these are the areas we'll be paying most attention to.

happy to address any other concerns

kranky dutchman

Cannon Fodder
hi all ,i live in Bungendore and the r.t.a signs on the kings hwy are saying that nerriga road is closed 4wd exempt i usualy travel that way myself but i will check with r.t.a at end of week cheers kranks

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Didn't intend to put anyone off! I just remembered I had those pics from a few years ago, had fun keeping the car on the road on the drive in, and the bike cleaning process was extremely tedious as you can imagine! The pics are from the Butterfly Rd area, other areas may be less claggy but I haven't lived here long enough to know. I do agree with Jackstack in that after a couple of days of dry, things are pretty good.
Your photos didn't put me off. They just confirmed what i expected at this stage.:)

Nerriga Road and trail conditionfor the 100ker

Don't do it. 4WD only last week. 120mm Thurs night with follow up consistant rain. Check out Weatherzone 28 day rainfull forecast-although it changes often. Earlier this morning it had a high chance of rain for all but two days over the next fortnight.
BOM has rain in varying degrees for at least next 3 days.

I have been riding this area for 15 years. If it stops raining today (although highly unlikely) I would prep for a wet boggy and sticky tough track. I have been knocking out the miles to tackle this elusive 100k title. Have been looking forward to it for months.

Dont do it refered to Nerriga Road.

Dissapointed with the weather. Hours and hours riding with this as the goal - i can see it all being washed away

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not a local, but I've ridden around there in the mud, and I don't know if I'd want a mud tyre, as there is a lot of really sticky clay around the place that just doesn't let go. A mud tyre might just end up holding a few dozen kg's more mud!

Fingers crossed you get a couple of days for it to dry out a bit.

struggles

Likes Dirt
I rode part of Coondoo on Wednesday night it was ok and the Fireroads were not too bad.

That was with 6mm of rain. Half way through my ride it started raining and the fireroads got real sticky and slippery on the way home.

Since then I have had a further 120mm of rain and I live between 5-20kms from most of the track.

If you are luck every day from now to Sunday will be hot and sunny and things will dry out.

Photos below show what the area is like after lots of rain and few days to dry out.

carbs

Likes Bikes
Kerbs,
when are the final details coming out?
Need to know if your having drink stations and at what distances or at what points we will be crossing Forrest road and how far into the race so we can sort out food and drinks.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Kerbs,
when are the final details coming out?
Need to know if your having drink stations and at what distances or at what points we will be crossing Forrest road and how far into the race so we can sort out food and drinks.
hmmm, already asked the organisers and didn't get a stright answer from them. It's a big secret and all....:rolleyes:

The statement below is straight from blackheart website.

This event is an unsupported race. There is to be no outside assistance at any time during the race.

There will be 3 water stations for the 100km course, and 1 water station for the 50km course. The stations will be located at approx. 25km intervals.

Water and electrolyte tabs will be available at each station, and while you should come prepared with appropriate nutrition for the day, a mix of bananas and sugar lollies will be available at some of the stations.

Extract from the event website

["Whilst you can ride the course before hand, State Forests NSW are becoming very aware of the extra wear and tear on tracks (not just single track – all of it!). As such if you do ride please respect the basic tenets of mountain biking – take litter out with you, leave the tracks as you found them, and if it’s soaking wet or other wise damaged/likely to be damaged by riding on, wait a few days before heading out."]

In light of the above. I'll see you all in April when things have had a chance to dry out.

A new front and more storms forecast for Thurs. The circuit will not be dry for Sunday. Tacky clay will be the big problem. Mud is a pain and wrecks your bits, but clay, will stop you in your tracks - that is if you can stay upright.

A valentines day sleep in is looking more and more probable.

PS Per the local radio Monday morning 8/2 Nerriga road closed.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
All systems are still GO:
http://www.blackheartevents.com.au/husky-enduro/husky-race-news said:
6/2/2010: UPDATE ON THE CURRENT WEATHER CONDITIONS ON THE SOUTH COAST: At this stage, recent rain will have no effect on the race next weekend. We are getting quite a few emails coming through asking if the race has been effected. In the highly unlikely event that there are major changes to the race program, we will update the website immediately and email all competitors.
Fingers crossed that it stays that way :) It's nice to see that it's sold out also.

p.s. Weatherzone now says that the chance of rain on Sunday is only "medium", woohoo.

Last edited: