HYDRATION/BACKPACK MEGATHREAD - all questions on packs for riding asked/answered here

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Shizer, I just found this:

Dakine Drafter 12L, I am sure it would jam some pads in there yeah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDrP3dlY6jk
Dakine make the best packs that I've come across. Carries everything and well organised. Will carry a full face or mtb helmet and the straps at the bottom of the bag is for your armour to. I had a Nomad and it was perfect for me. Mate's got the Drafter and at times thought he could do with a bit more room, esp in winter.

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
+1 for Osprey packs. I'm currently using the Manta 20lt but it's available in two smaller sizes, although it's a multi sport bag it does let you clip a full face helmet on the back. Plus their system for keeping the weight and heat off your back is miles ahead of any other bag iv'e used. Also the bladder is in a separate compartment from the contents of the backpack and you can put a full bladder in a full bag easily. Another big plus was I got the bag from a Paddy Palin outlet shop for $55. Check out there range, think you might like the new raptor bag. hope that helps.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 for Osprey packs. I'm currently using the Manta 20lt but it's available in two smaller sizes, although it's a multi sport bag it does let you clip a full face helmet on the back. Plus their system for keeping the weight and heat off your back is miles ahead of any other bag iv'e used. Also the bladder is in a separate compartment from the contents of the backpack and you can put a full bladder in a full bag easily. Another big plus was I got the bag from a Paddy Palin outlet shop for $55. Check out there range, think you might like the new raptor bag. hope that helps.
Agreed. I'm a huge fan of osprey packs. Super comfortable and really smart use of space. I've got a raptor 10 for a day on the trails and use an escapist 25 to commute to work. The raptor 14 would suit the OP down to the ground.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Osprey & Deuter would be my pics. And that goes for packs in general.
Im running with the Deuter Air Exp10. Liked it so much i went and also bought a 26L Deuter air as a general day pack.
Deuter-Compact-Air-EXP-10.jpg

HimynameisMike

Likes Dirt
Osprey & Deuter would be my pics. And that goes for packs in general.
Im running with the Deuter Air Exp10. Liked it so much i went and also bought a 26L Deuter air as a general day pack.
View attachment 293779

+1 for Deuter, I've had a 26L Deuter for over 5 years now - very durable. Had plenty of crashes and still good as new. Plenty of space/compartments. I find the meshing on the back really helps on super hot days as well.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
+1
I have the Mule NV and is more than big enough!

3L Bladder is plenty even for me (cant stop drinking)
front compartment to fit all tool etc, top zip for phone and a center compartment for food, tubes, hand pump.... and plenty room left for a weather jacket, and knee/elbow pads.
the outter compartment also allows you to clip your helmet onto the buckle (great for those hot fire road climbs)
+ another 1 on the mule mate.

Although I hat back packs and have just switched to the specialized Swat Knicks for short 30KM and under rides..... OHHH THE FREEDOM

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I have a fox oasis is a great it holds a lot of gear and you can put your pads in the helmet and the helmet straps to the pack . I have even managed to strap my fox Titan armour to it and i have never been short of room.

View attachment 293769

http://shop.foxhead.com/store/produ...tail/Fox-Oasis-Hydration-Pack/32836/cat770035
I'm using one of these as well.
I find with a full bladder it can be hard to get stuff in, but otherwise I normally hold a pump, shock pump, some tools, chain lube, my gloves, a separate bottle of drink (for flavour - water gets dull sometimes) and a little bit of food... as well as the helmet on the outside.

After all that I find it a little full. :)

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
I only carry a shock pump, tyre pump, multi tool, spare tube, chain link and a small first aid kit . I use the pocket on the outside for armour or pads.

WarbyD

Likes Dirt
+ another 1 on the mule mate.

Although I hat back packs and have just switched to the specialized Swat Knicks for short 30KM and under rides..... OHHH THE FREEDOM
Off topic, but where did you buy the knicks? Keen to get a couple pairs too..

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 for Deuter, I've had a 26L Deuter for over 5 years now - very durable. Had plenty of crashes and still good as new. Plenty of space/compartments. I find the meshing on the back really helps on super hot days as well.
I use Deuter for hiking/hunting and a smaller one for moto, had some big offs and carry a lot of gear, it's held up really well. Have a fox pack that's also been really good but it's probably heavy for mtb. I like the decent hip belt on the Deuter for weight carrying. Not sure how the big hip belt would go on the mtb though?

jarobo

Squid
+1 for the Mule.
Definitely big enough to carry pads, tools, helmet and all the spares you may need on the trails.
Handy having the 3L bladder too. I rarely fill it up, but knowing it's got the capacity for longer rides is a bonus.

Rider_of_Bikes

Likes Dirt
Dakine make the best packs that I've come across. Carries everything and well organised. Will carry a full face or mtb helmet and the straps at the bottom of the bag is for your armour to. I had a Nomad and it was perfect for me. Mate's got the Drafter and at times thought he could do with a bit more room, esp in winter.
I have had a few of their bags and lots of their apparel. I am currently running the drafter as well. Awesome bag. Smart storage, floating pack system, fits well and ykk zips. What more can you ask for?

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
I paid about $110 for the nicks. I didn't go the jersey. The nicks are awesome I jump, manual, crash etc etc etc. and yet to lose a anything.

I normally carry:
Tube
2tyre levers
Multitool
2x Co2 cartridges +adapter
1 energy bar
1 gel
Ventolin puffer

Last edited:

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Has 3 pockets, they are quite cleverly designed with a bell shape. Ie the opening is quite small and is elasticated. They are positioned just above the the hips. In the Lowe back region. That way the actually hang over the top of my baggies.

Chamois is really good. Quite thin at the front (not bent over like a TT bike, so you don't need it there) and the material is quite stiff so it doesn't need to be overly padded. I have used some road nicks with really thick chamois and can find them a bit obtrusive when moving around on more aggressive trails. No so with these.