i hit 81 km/h today

Bodin

GMBC
scratchy said:
That's fugging nutz! Seriously 85kmph on the flat? Must have been a hella tailwind!
I'm not about to go calling anyone a fibber, but let's please keep in mind that this year's TDF peloton was travelling 20kph slower than the above quote in very similarly described conditions during the first week of the tour.

Hmm...

John U

MTB Precision
i clocked over 200km/h standing next to the ticket validator at jolimont station in melbourne. those things fuck with cordless speedo's

Endo

Likes Dirt
Bodin said:
I'm not about to go calling anyone a fibber, but let's please keep in mind that this year's TDF peloton was travelling 20kph slower than the above quote in very similarly described conditions during the first week of the tour.

Hmm...
That was down the most mountainous stage, non? I remember the commentators saying that they were doing about 80kph and couldn't pedal any faster.. unless they had shorter gearing for the grueling climb beforehand...

I don't know whether to believe 100kph on a roadie, but that's amazing!

Bodin

GMBC
No, I was referring to the first week when they were traversing across France into Germany on flat stages with a massive tailwind the whole way and were still averaging below 60kph.

I was actually being quite polite in my previous post, but to be honest now, I don't believe any group of cyclists in the world could average 85kph on the flats for 10 kilometres, regardless of how strong the tailwind was.

Most people struggle to hit 85kph down a hill, so I'm prepared to be proven wrong, but I don't think I'm unjustified in being a Doubting Thomas on this claim.

chie

Likes Dirt
I remember in yr 8 when I was working for a chemist making deliveries hitting 67km/h with a big tailwind, never really got over 60 after that day, and overtaking a schoolbus on the inside lane. I didnt wipe the max speed on my speedo for a long time after that.

Lately on a mates road bike i got 75ish down a rough country road and about 500m from my house i regularly hit 55km/h down a dirt trail, which I reckon is damn fast let alone these guys hitting 80+.

Chris

S.

ex offender
Bodin said:
I wonder what speeds people have hit on the fireroad section down the bottom?
Fastest I've heard is 65 from a mate. The fireroad isn't really steep enough to get anything crazy fast (not like say Thredbo).

benxc

Squid
Braking distance...

Now here's an idea..
While this might simply be a product of my top speed 'achievement' being only 67ks (down Cootha on the road), how many of you have seen how quickly you can stop from a speed like this...

So why not try winding it up to v-max, then hitting the stoppers, chest on the seat, rear wheel just touching the ground...those dinner-platter disc brakes have gotta be good for something right?

P.S. for *extra-fun*, try it in the wet.... :eek:

Percy Pig

Squid
Ive hit 96k's down a steep gravel/rock road. :eek:

At least thats what the speedo said, Im beginning to doubt its reading now, I might go try it again sometime just to make sure, now where did I put that 48t chainring? :rolleyes:

Actually over 80 on a DH bike is scarier than 120+ on a dirtbike. :cool:

S.

ex offender
benxc said:
Now here's an idea..
While this might simply be a product of my top speed 'achievement' being only 67ks (down Cootha on the road), how many of you have seen how quickly you can stop from a speed like this...

So why not try winding it up to v-max, then hitting the stoppers, chest on the seat, rear wheel just touching the ground...those dinner-platter disc brakes have gotta be good for something right?

P.S. for *extra-fun*, try it in the wet.... :eek:
Be very careful doing that... the centre of mass of a bike/rider in a normal position is such that on dry asphalt you physically can't lock the front wheel before going over the bars. If you get that far over the back (yes I've tried) you most definitely can lock the front wheel, and front wheel lockage at high speed = crash, no two ways about it (unless you are EXTREMELY lucky).

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
benxc said:
Now here's an idea..
Surprisingly quickly actually. I was hitting 80ks down the last section of fire trail at Mt. Stanley and theres 90 degree turn onto singletrack right after you hit the max speed part of it. I was pulling up to make the corner no probs , actually braking later with each run. I'm guessing my speed around the corner to be around 15ks , so judging by that ,to come to a dead stop from 80 would take about 30 - 40 metres? Maybe less?

That fire trail is awesome , its 2 - 3 metrs wide but littered with football sized rocks and only a singletrack width of clean line down it. At 80 , you can't hear anything for the wind noise and vision gets blurry , making it even harder to stay on the clean line. Friggin fun , but !

mtb1611

Seymour
66kmh on the NRS2 on the firetrail that leads from the top of the 24hr course back to the gate on the main road in the ACT, 91kmh on the raod bike.

Cletus

Likes Dirt
ive done way over 80kms down mt ousley in wollongong. i dont have a speedo on my bike but i was passing cars easily in the 80km zone on my jamis hardtail with 2.3 dh tyres on plus in west wollongong theres a road that goes down hill passed a school and i got the fixed speed camera to flash me going over the 50km speed limmit, i was cheering!!! no idea how fast i go on my dh bike maybe 40 max?

Fallsrider

Likes Dirt
I'v hit 90 km an hour on a hardtail with 80 - 100 mm of front travel down a dirt road/fire road. It was crazy, your eyes stream and all you can do is hold on and hope to god you don't slide out.

DWNHLR01

Likes Dirt
85kph down bayview heights hill in Cairns on my patriot. I just got new brake pads so I had to bed them in. The guy following me in his ute said he got to 85kph and had to back off...So what speed I really hit was a mystery. Towards the bottom of the hill they have these speed bump things, about 4m long with an up and down ramp...hard to explain. But i was hitting those at 80kph and airing massive.

Az

Likes Dirt
93kms on dirt, big hill in the ole days. Pro 97ish mark!!!!

88 on Road Bike.

84 on Snow skis.....................