I tested a BOS shock!

kezzaM

Likes Dirt
Last weekend at round one of the NSW State downhill series in Thredbo I had the chance to test a BOS Stoy rear shock.

Prior to this I have been riding a DHX 5.0 which I thought I had set up well and was working great for me. However, after installing the BOS Stoy and hitting the first bump I knew I was going to experience something great.

I was lucky enough to have 4 test runs on the BOS Stoy. Straight away I could not believe how much better it felt than my 09 DHX 5.0. I didn't think it was possible for a rear shock to feel the way the Stoy does. On my 4th run I did a timed run. My times had improved from 6:50 (using a DHX 5) to 6:36 (using the Stoy). Unfortunately I was not able to use the Stoy for the race.

The BOS Stoy is amazing. Words can't describe it. If you are lucky enough to have the chance to test one out you should jump right on it. It wont be until then that you know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

kezzaM

Likes Dirt
Just curious, what was your race time back on the DHX 5.0?
6:48. I didn't have the best run though. Gave it too much in practice/quali. I have been mucking around with the DHX since thredbo trying to get it dialled for my local track. I've got it set up pretty well but it still doesn't compare with the BOS.

Ozza

Eats Squid
I dont believe the differences between the shocks can make anyone that much faster. Spring rates are really the only thing that could of played a factor.

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I dont believe the differences between the shocks can make anyone that much faster. Spring rates are really the only thing that could of played a factor.
i have to agree with ozza. what bike by the way?
I think it could make that much difference. Shock tune cannot be ruled out here. So it's not as black and white as it appears.
Boss would be more sensitive.
Placebo must also be considered.
He did timed runs, what more do you want?

nicho

Sacré bleu!
i have to agree with ozza. what bike by the way?
It was on 08 glory. Until you've tried it you can only believe those who are riding it.
Why do you think i have people testing it.Because people notice the difference!
I have for the whole nsw state series bos shock tests on offer for anyone who wishes to try one out.

Nicho

Last edited:

TS153

TerryScarr.com
Lets go take his shock and give him a 1998 special and see if shocks make a difference then.

nic1894

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wow

its good to see a whole new level of performance from shox it makes me wonder what else they are going to do to make it even better

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That there is astounding.
Perhaps the best summation of how little people understand suspension setup. No offence intended, just pointing out what makes suspension manufacturers slap their foreheads.

Ozza

Eats Squid
That there is astounding.
Perhaps the best summation of how little people understand suspension setup. No offence intended, just pointing out what makes suspension manufacturers slap their foreheads.
I said that MUCH of a difference between the fox and the bos. Ofcourse a tuned shock is going to be smoother and hopefully more suitable to your riding style as thats the purpose of being able to set them up. I just believe his claimed time difference is just to much for me to get my mind around 2 shocks with the same spring rate.

I guess its realistic to say Rennie and Delfs will romp the competition this year then.

Last edited:

lockieoc

Likes Dirt
It was on 08 glory. Until you've tried it you can only believe those who are riding it.
Why do you think i have people testing it.Because people notice the difference!
I have for the whole nsw state series bos shock tests on offer for anyone who wishes to try one out.

Nicho
sweet i want to put this to the test. next state round at ourimbah can we organise brock newling (who also rides a glory) or someone just as fast to strap one on then ill be 100% convinced on the brilliance of this shock. im not being a smartass i just want to see it for myself.

stinkybigmacc

Likes Dirt
Spring rates only control how much force a spring can take before it is fully compressed. The feel of a shock or fork is in the valving and other internal features.

It would be interesting to compare the new Fox DHX RC4 rather than the 5.0 to the SToy. Any one tried them out?

Ozza

Eats Squid
Spring rates only control how much force a spring can take before it is fully compressed. The feel of a shock or fork is in the valving and other internal features.
No shit!
Have you ever ridden a dh bike on a rough course with the wrong spring rate? Its hell! When I first got into downhill, i had a 500lbs spring on my stab and i only weighed 60. Swapping it over to 400lbs made a dramatic improvement on how active the suspension was under my weight. Yes, that made me faster and decreased my times.

floody

Wheel size expert
DHXs aren't exactly an incompetent bit of gear... Theres not 12 seconds in a shock swap. Too many variables in DH to put that up as evidence IMO.

However, the elusive 'feel'; if it 'feels' to be working better its a better indication than the time. But then thats also somewhat subjective etc...

End of the day . the proof is in the pudding, one would suggest.