I tested a BOS shock!

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DHXs aren't exactly an incompetent bit of gear... Theres not 12 seconds in a shock swap. Too many variables in DH to put that up as evidence IMO.
Very true that. You'd need to do a fair few more runs that 1 to find the better shock, and only then, it's still a lot on personal preference.

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When you think about it it is about a 3.5% difference between the DHX and the Stoy. It doesn't seem nearly as much as 14 seconds. I also think that Thredbo is one of the trcaks where having really good suspension would make a big difference. Would love to try one out.

Tallman

Likes Dirt
...He did timed runs, what more do you want?

...Too many variables in DH to put that up as evidence IMO.
Exactly.

If this were to be a proper experiment to see IF there was such a difference between BOS and Fox (which, for the money, I'm sure there is, Nicho), there should be several riders do say, at least 6 runs on their stock shocks, and then change to a BOS shock and do the same number of runs as on their stock shock. Then, average the times and compare them!

F1234K

Likes Dirt
A better feeling shock will inspire more confidence to go harder/faster = time improves.

If the shock does nothing special other than feeling better it will already be credited for making you a faster rider.

So even if you had identical specs on 2 shocks for spring rate, damper force, air etc. etc. blah blah if shock 1 makes you feel more confident because it just feels better then it will be the shock on which you go faster.

You could even go as far as saying that knowing that the BOS is so expensive will give someone the impression that it must be better and thus they feel more confident and ride faster. That means that just the 'idea' of a better shock is enough to make it better... ooooh!

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
, there should be several riders do say, at least 6 runs on their stock shocks, and then change to a BOS shock and do the same number of runs as on their stock shock.
3 of them running the BOS first and stock second to eliminate just getting the track dialed.

When all that is done and compiled at least 1 of them should then give their BOS to me....

nicho

Sacré bleu!
I said that MUCH of a difference between the fox and the bos. Ofcourse a tuned shock is going to be smoother and hopefully more suitable to your riding style as thats the purpose of being able to set them up. I just believe his claimed time difference is just to much for me to get my mind around 2 shocks with the same spring rate.

I guess its realistic to say Rennie and Delfs will romp the competition this year then.
Just so you know the bos shock is tuned for leverage ratios not for riders nor riding styles. I only slapped on the correct spring rate for his weight and off he went. For your information he did 4 runs on it.

sweet i want to put this to the test. next state round at ourimbah can we organise brock newling (who also rides a glory) or someone just as fast to strap one on then ill be 100% convinced on the brilliance of this shock. im not being a smartass i just want to see it for myself.
Well that's no problem. I can guarantee you that brock likes the shock. Hey i'll even top that. Why don't you ask tom patton who has consecutively beaten brock on the last couple of races (national or state) and ask him what he thinks about his switch to bos shock and forks. He bettered his time at thredbo by 4 seconds since oceanias two weeks before when he was on boxxers.
Of course many will argue it s down to the rider. And i would say that 95% of time it's true but hey we're talking about racing here aren't we and managing to nudge a second here or there is what makes the difference. Right ?
In no way have i bagged a dhx as i know that they are a good shock in all in all. Just thought i'd say that as this is a thread about bos shock and not fox or vivid.

Spring rates only control how much force a spring can take before it is fully compressed. The feel of a shock or fork is in the valving and other internal features.

It would be interesting to compare the new Fox DHX RC4 rather than the 5.0 to the SToy. Any one tried them out?
Yeah i heard nothing but good things about the dhx rc4 but hey we are getting really close to a bos stoy price range here. $1180 retail after market at tbsm.

No shit!
Have you ever ridden a dh bike on a rough course with the wrong spring rate? Its hell! When I first got into downhill, i had a 500lbs spring on my stab and i only weighed 60. Swapping it over to 400lbs made a dramatic improvement on how active the suspension was under my weight. Yes, that made me faster and decreased my times.
SO who says he didn t have the right spring rate on his glory before?

DHXs aren't exactly an incompetent bit of gear... Theres not 12 seconds in a shock swap. Too many variables in DH to put that up as evidence IMO.

However, the elusive 'feel'; if it 'feels' to be working better its a better indication than the time. But then thats also somewhat subjective etc...

End of the day . the proof is in the pudding, one would suggest.
In no way have i said it is and i don t believe kezza did either.
I was having a chat to the bashford brothers at oceanias about time differences. And they told me about markus klaussman testing the bos shock on hi home track (one would argue that variables are reduced to a minimum in those conditions right?) and withint the third run down he beat his on own track record by about 3 seconds if i remember correctly.
Another example from Chris southwood editor of amb told me exactly the same thing about his home track, how he hit everything so much harder , and how that was the fastest he'd ever gone down that track.

Very true that. You'd need to do a fair few more runs that 1 to find the better shock, and only then, it's still a lot on personal preference.
He did 4 runs!

When you think about it it is about a 3.5% difference between the DHX and the Stoy. It doesn't seem nearly as much as 14 seconds. I also think that Thredbo is one of the trcaks where having really good suspension would make a big difference. Would love to try one out.
Thredbo is the perfect track for a shock test. You can really open up and feel the variations and high speed cornering abilities as well as the grip.

Exactly.

If this were to be a proper experiment to see IF there was such a difference between BOS and Fox (which, for the money, I'm sure there is, Nicho), there should be several riders do say, at least 6 runs on their stock shocks, and then change to a BOS shock and do the same number of runs as on their stock shock. Then, average the times and compare them!
Again this is why i am organizing bos shock tests at the state series. Obviously the shock tests are limited to the number of shocks to test but don't be shy to ask. If i have the hardware and the right spring rate then off we go for some shuttles.

nicho

lockieoc

Likes Dirt
Well that's no problem. I can guarantee you that brock likes the shock. Hey i'll even top that. Why don't you ask tom patton who has consecutively beaten brock on the last couple of races (national or state) and ask him what he thinks about his switch to bos shock and forks. He bettered his time at thredbo by 4 seconds since oceanias two weeks before when he was on boxxers.
Of course many will argue it s down to the rider. And i would say that 95% of time it's true but hey we're talking about racing here aren't we and managing to nudge a second here or there is what makes the difference. Right ?
In no way have i bagged a dhx as i know that they are a good shock in all in all. Just thought i'd say that as this is a thread about bos shock and not fox or vivid.

nicho
i went and saw brock today and told him i have organised a bos test :p. This will be interesting as there will be no real questionable factors at ourimbah as he is always fast and consistent at his home track. it will be a true show down between these two shocks. its nice to see how involved you get in campaning Bos.

nicho

Sacré bleu!
Easy Done. Having said that brock owns at Ourimbah.
However i'm not sure his sponsors will appreciate it. Understandbly so.

nicho

S.

ex offender
I guess its realistic to say Rennie and Delfs will romp the competition this year then.
For sure, if a shock can knock 14 seconds off on a ~6 minute track, then on a ~3 minute track like Stromlo, Rennie should be able to take off about 7 seconds and therefore smash Minnaar and the rest of the field by at least 3 seconds! Or better yet, you could put 2 of them in a 2stage and go 28 seconds faster!

Come on fellas, it's a great shock and all, but it's not realistically THAT much better, provided you can set up a DHX reasonably. The benchmark is high these days. Back down to earth, s'il vous plait.

Edit: due to ingesting too much French whine, I'm posting a clarification: I think the shock is great, in fact it's the best shock I've ridden, and I think that anyone who gets the opportunity to try one should take it up. What I don't personally believe is that it will immediately make you a significant amount faster, but I stand open to being proven wrong by anyone who runs a fair and objective test (in fact if Nicho wants to give me a shock again, I'll do the testing myself). All I ask is that you guys stay grounded and realistic with your appraisals of the shock, and in fact EVERYTHING you discuss publicly.

Last edited:

Tallman

Likes Dirt
3 of them running the BOS first and stock second to eliminate just getting the track dialed.

When all that is done and compiled at least 1 of them should then give their BOS to me....
Agreed, as long as one of the remaining 2 give their shock to me...!

Again this is why i am organizing bos shock tests at the state series. Obviously the shock tests are limited to the number of shocks to test but don't be shy to ask. If i have the hardware and the right spring rate then off we go for some shuttles.

nicho
Well that's fair enough then. I guess in your position you have to be fair with the limited number of shocks you have access to and not let just one person have one all day etc.

You can always come up to Orange and myself (on a Glory), and two other mates (on a Sunday and an A-line) could thoroughly test them on one of our local tracks (about 1:50 long)... The mate on the Sunday (Tom Lewis - 5th at Thredbo in Elite Men) has the track dialed at 1:43 and consistently pushes this time, so it would be awesome to see if running a BOS shock changed the time. Think about it!

Last edited:

kemmis

Likes Dirt
It was on 08 glory. Until you've tried it you can only believe those who are riding it.
Why do you think i have people testing it.Because people notice the difference!
I have for the whole nsw state series bos shock tests on offer for anyone who wishes to try one out.

Nicho

Excuse me Mr Nicho, may I please test one at Ourimbah? See you there.

Thanks, Josh.

nicho

Sacré bleu!
Easy done mate. In fact im going to ourimbah on friday if you are there. i ll loan it to you.

nicho

nicho

Sacré bleu!
i ll be sure to do it on the bottom jumps. Not to worried about it s jump absorption. I heard there was no landing, and it was more or less to flat.
is that right?

nicho