i was standing in the rain last nite......

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
but it was all for a good reason. to see the cat empire. holy shit they are good.it was at the beach hotel in byron and there were over a thousand people there and there had to shut it off cause there were still 500 people out side trying to get in(it was free after all).

yeah there no real point to this.

Rik

logged out
TCE have impressed me, I don't like most ska, I don't like their radio singles... I almost instantly wrote them off as a cheesy pop band relying on novelty to get them by.
But after hearing a couple of their songs that sounded alot like Madness my opinion of them changed. Nothing wrong with bringing back some sounds of the past, it's almost a forgotten genre to most peoples ears.
All the best to them, let's hope once "hello hello" is forgotten (just die FFS) that they have alot of succes.

G

is it days like these? thats a cool song :) where are they from? are they perthians?

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
yeah hello hello i think has alot to do with rove.i had herd it on JJJ about 2 months before they went on rove and then i started hearing it on the comecical radio shit that they play at work. but live they bust it out pritty good. they can almost keep it going as long as the resin dogs(the kings of live music) but yeah i sujest that everyone gose and see them if they can

RCOH

Eats Squid
I HATE the 'hello hello' song, but heard them on live at thewireless on JJJ and they ruled, my GF bought the album & it is pretty good, but not as good as live stuff

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
I really like Hello Hello, in fact I think it was the best pic for their... cause lets face it a single has to get out to reach the "popular" audience. Anywho... didn't they also play that live on The Panel? Pretty sure that's where I first saw them.... now waiting on a Melbourne gig.

shr00m

Squid
If you like TCE have a look out for a band called Waiting For Guiness (sydney based). Cool sound. Similar but with more instruments like panio accordian, violin etc. Don't know if they have been playing lately as their drummer is in hospital with a brain tumor which is farked as he's one of my best friends but hey this type of music can do that to ya i suppose.

RCOH

Eats Squid
Grip said:
I really like Hello Hello, in fact I think it was the best pic for their... cause lets face it a single has to get out to reach the "popular" audience. Anywho... didn't they also play that live on The Panel? Pretty sure that's where I first saw them.... now waiting on a Melbourne gig.
They played in Melbourne on NYE, my friend was there & said it was great.

Grip

RCOH said:
Grip said:
They played in Melbourne on NYE, my friend was there & said it was great.
NYE!!!! That's the night I sit at home and feel guilty for all the new years resolutions I'm going to make... and ignore.

tu plang

knob
frank-oi said:
yeah hello hello i think has alot to do with rove.i had herd it on JJJ about 2 months before they went on rove and then i started hearing it on the comecical radio shit that they play at work. but live they bust it out pritty good. they can almost keep it going as long as the resin dogs(the kings of live music) but yeah i sujest that everyone gose and see them if they can
resin dogs are awesome if u havent heard them u should listen to some... and on that note i shall listen to the resin dogs

Cat Empire are from Melbourne... somewhere around my place, Eltham area if that means anything to you.

I really got into Hello when i first heard it, downloaded it and listened to it on repeat. Then i bought the album... and the othere stuff blows Hello out of the water!!
I'm a big Jazz, Ska, Aussie Hip-Hop fan so i may be biased but it was a close second in my Album of the year rankings

Even though it's the most "different" song on the album (ie- the most a-typical of their self-created "genre") my favourite is "The Crowd".

Damn i can't wait to see them live!! I was away for their last two melbourne gigs... :evil:
Now all we need is for them to support the Mad Caddies on an Australian tour!! I can only dream... :(

Emerin

Likes Dirt
I've really liked what i've heard so far with the Cat Empire. They have a funky upbeat approch that i think is a nice change. Something different. As for 'hello, hello', not bad, i liked it when JJJ had it, then the other poxy radio stations got it, and it was flogged. I HATE it when they do that. Anywho, good band. Hopefully i'll see them live one day.

Grip

Hey Commander. I'll make you a deal. If you get the chance before you head north, call in with Cat Empire's album and maybe something to introduce me to your version of Ska and hip hop. I mean so many people label so much stuff Ska or hiphop (for instance) that I end up confused and just question whether or not it is. So come and educate me, because I can only learn so much from PBS (and I'm a big blues fan if you're interested in swapping some CD short term).

Oh... and the deal??? Well I'll even make you a cuppa!

Cheers

Roastin

Likes Bikes
the cat empire are excellent, had a chance to film a set they did at the Metro a while ago, before they got famous and they rocked the house.......their dancers were hot too......very........still dunno if the dancers were hires or actually part of their troupe though.......

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
there were no dancers and byron....hang on there were bout a thousand of them....but no dancers at byron stage to small i guess.

Grip said:
Hey Commander. I'll make you a deal. If you get the chance before you head north, call in with Cat Empire's album and maybe something to introduce me to your version of Ska and hip hop. I mean so many people label so much stuff Ska or hiphop (for instance) that I end up confused and just question whether or not it is. So come and educate me, because I can only learn so much from PBS (and I'm a big blues fan if you're interested in swapping some CD short term).

Oh... and the deal??? Well I'll even make you a cuppa!

Cheers
sounds good mate
i'm working (linesperson at the Australian Open) until thursday but when i get a moment after that i'll scrape some CDs together and we can sit back and have a listen....
... although i'm not exactly sure what "ska" is these days... seems like people are labelling it as anything from older, reggae influenced, "madness" style stuff to what is basically punk or emo ("emotional" punk) with a few horns thrown in...
as for hip-hop... i still haven't worked out (and noone seems to be able to tell me) the difference between it and rap... i like a lot of the aussie stuff though

oh well... i'll just listen to what i like then and forget about labelling it...
but being able to put myself into a category is so much fun :roll: :lol: