AM Ibis Mojo HD3...Major Upgrades.

CraigM81

Likes Bikes
Got me some wheel Stickers!
Nice! The blue stickers don't look like they match the frame as well as they do on the ibis site. I'm also getting the blue frame but went for the red stickers. Have the stickers, frame ETA is late next month :eek:hwell:

my02

Likes Dirt
Mine arrived at Defcon today complete with upgrade to Float X2. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
The more I ride the more I wish I bought the blue frame! Matt black is good and all, but man, it gets dirty.

dano_mtb

Likes Dirt
How do you find the ardent race as a rear tyre?
Hey mate,

I like the Ardent Race on the rear, but I don't love it.
It rolls fast and has decent grip around corners. Its also very predictable and easy to steer when it slides out.

But it doesn't blow up very big and needs to be run at some what higher pressures than ide like to protect the rim from impact.
Its also not the best in the wet and we have had a lot of wet weather lately.

In regards to the creaking issue that I have read other owners having I personally have had zero creaking on my bike.
Its been pretty much flawless.

dano_mtb

Likes Dirt
Mine arrived at Defcon today complete with upgrade to Float X2. Can't wait to get my hands on it!
Mate, you will not be disappointed.

Plus Stu from Defcon is awesome and is always happy to help if you ever have any dramas or questions.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Hey mate.. Just demoing one of these bad boys at the moment. I'm coming off and Pivot Mach 5.7c and kinda picked the hd3 as on paper it looks quite similar.
The demo bike is setup quite burly though and 13.9kg. So I can't get a feel for how it climbs compared to the Pivot. It feels real hard work pedaling it but I'm hoping onc if my build shed 1kg it would get up the hills a bit easier..
Climbing wise and even just boring fire road pedaling how do you compare it to the Pivot?
Would really like to keep it a similar weight to my Pivot @12.3kg but seems may be impossible with hd3.
Just want to ensure it can cover all bases for me, daily trail riding, occasional enduro event, occasionally XC event.
Thanks!
Joel

JBR

Likes Dirt
Hey mate.. Just demoing one of these bad boys at the moment. I'm coming off and Pivot Mach 5.7c and kinda picked the hd3 as on paper it looks quite similar.
The demo bike is setup quite burly though and 13.9kg. So I can't get a feel for how it climbs compared to the Pivot. It feels real hard work pedaling it but I'm hoping onc if my build shed 1kg it would get up the hills a bit easier..
Climbing wise and even just boring fire road pedaling how do you compare it to the Pivot?
Would really like to keep it a similar weight to my Pivot @12.3kg but seems may be impossible with hd3.
Just want to ensure it can cover all bases for me, daily trail riding, occasional enduro event, occasionally XC event.
Thanks!
Joel
Hi mate... I have a HD3 which I bought to replace my 5.7c. They are entirely different beasts....the 5.7c is a trail bike, whereas the HD3 is considerably more on the burly side. Takes a lot more to get it around and its nowhere near as fun as a trail bike. I love the HD3, however it is not in my mind a replacement for the 5.7c, and is definitely more gravity focused. The SC 5010 would be a closer fit in a like for like comparison

Justin

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Can the hd3 be built up a bit less burly? So can do trail duties but then chuck some bigger tyres on etc and do an enduro event? Guess trying to see what in the build or geometry that makes it not so trail focused?

dano_mtb

Likes Dirt
Can the hd3 be built up a bit less burly? So can do trail duties but then chuck some bigger tyres on etc and do an enduro event? Guess trying to see what in the build or geometry that makes it not so trail focused?
Hey mate. I currently have my HD3 set up for trail duties.
As in lighter weight tyres. Lowered carbon handlebars and added abit more compression and rebound to firm up the suspension.
Its great like that because I rode mostly trail/XC anyways.
But you can easily beef it up for more extreme riding and it will handle it with ease. Ive raced a few Enduro events and had a ball on the HD3.

It does feel like more bike to handle on the tight twisty and narrow trails than the Pivot Mach 5.7C.
The rear on the Pivot just had abit more Pop and zip to it, it felt like more of a long legged XC bike even when built up burly.

I have zero regrets selling my Pivot and everything the 5.7C can do the Mojo just does it better.

my02

Likes Dirt
Inline or fox with evol can? Any recommendations?
A mate and I have the X2 on the HD3 and so far extremely happy with it. Better than the CCDBA on my HD1.

Plenty of people on MTBR Ibis forum raving about the X2 over and above the CCDBI.

dano_mtb

Likes Dirt
I've had the bike for a year now and still loving it.

But, decided it's time for some major upgrades.
Upgrades are 2016 Fox Float RC2 Fork 160mm that replaced a Rock Shox Pike also swapped out the Cane Creek DB Inline rear shock for a Fox Float X2.

Other upgrades include shortening the Atlas stem for a 35mm length one and adding a Race Face Sixc Carbon bar cut down to 770mm with some new Odi Extreme Grips.

Also swapped out the tyres for a Maxxis DHR2 on the front and a Minion SS on the rear.

Attachments

redline316

Likes Dirt
I've had the bike for a year now and still loving it.

But, decided it's time for some major upgrades.
Upgrades are 2016 Fox Float RC2 Fork 160mm that replaced a Rock Shox Pike also swapped out the Cane Creek DB Inline rear shock for a Fox Float X2.

Other upgrades include shortening the Atlas stem for a 35mm length one and adding a Race Face Sixc Carbon bar cut down to 770mm with some new Odi Extreme Grips.

Also swapped out the tyres for a Maxxis DHR2 on the front and a Minion SS on the rear.
That's one mean looking rig. Love it.

dano_mtb

Likes Dirt
Thanks heaps guys.
I usually change my bikes on average every 10 months or so but I think I'll be keeping this one for a long time to come.
It just does everything so well.