DJ Ibis Ripmo v2

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Riding the Ripmo today, I realised with the tyres she’s running the bike is never, ever “too much bike” for my trails.

The Minions are fantastic but they do damp the energy of the bike just a touch. Tiny bit. The Ardent Race tyres always deliver a crispness to the pedals that makes this bike just so ridiculously versatile.

If you are wondering Ripmo Vs Ripley, bear this in mind. The Ripmo can work for you too.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
If you really want to have some fun, reinstall the DHF up front and leave the XC tyre out back. It's like installing power steering on you MTB... ;)
Oi, I like my DHF or DHR up front and Ardent on the rear. Works for me anyhow. A big phat tyre upfront has always been a good idea.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
If you really want to have some fun, reinstall the DHF up front and leave the XC tyre out back. It's like installing power steering on you MTB... ;)
Don't forget, one reason I moved to something else was for a more rounded profile because I like the steering feel much more. Transition to the sidewall knobs is great when you are pushing it, but otherwise notchy & unpleasant.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Don't forget, one reason I moved to something else was for a more rounded profile because I like the steering feel much more. Transition to the sidewall knobs is great when you are pushing it, but otherwise notchy & unpleasant.
Hmm, I didn't have you picked as an Assegai man... :p

Haha, what a confused setup that would be!

But yes. DHFs like to be upright, or leant over. The in-between is a transition zone in the pure sense.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
It is more fun without it. Some traction for hills is fine but you don't really want a rear tyre that has too much grip.
Where's the fun in that.
95% of the time, strongly agree. But 5% of the time your pants almost fill with ca-ca because the back wheel just tried to overtake the front at a critical moment on the trail is the flip-side. So much fun when you gather it up in time though!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Just don't run an Onza on the rear, unless you want to spend every ride walking back with a flat.
I've never run them on the rear but the DH casings are more like a maxxis EXO. I've had the standard Canis casing on the rear of one bike and no issues with that. I've the 2.4 DH with 28mm rims and that's been great, on the more xc oriented bike I've the Ibex 2.25 on the front with 24mm rims and the Canis on the rear, I did once pinch flat the front on some sharp rocks but that was due to being lazy and not airing the tyre up before a ride.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Just don't run an Onza on the rear, unless you want to spend every ride walking back with a flat.
Maybe you just got a bad one...

I ran one (Ibex) on the rear for almost 1000 km, zero flats in that time. That was tubeless with Huck Norris.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I've never run them on the rear but the DH casings are more like a maxxis EXO. I've had the standard Canis casing on the rear of one bike and no issues with that. I've the 2.4 DH with 28mm rims and that's been great, on the more xc oriented bike I've the Ibex 2.25 on the front with 24mm rims and the Canis on the rear, I did once pinch flat the front on some sharp rocks but that was due to being lazy and not airing the tyre up before a ride.
Maybe you just got a bad one...

I ran one (Ibex) on the rear for almost 1000 km, zero flats in that time. That was tubeless with Huck Norris.
Maybe a bad batch but had both Ibex and the Canis on the Craftie and the Honzo and all of them got flats just looking at them. Nothing through the tread always the side wall, the Ibex was apparently the free ride casing. I would normally attribute it to my poor riding but on the exact same trails and taking the same shitty lines the Bontrager SE4 team and the Maxxis dissector have held up fine but the Onza had me walking home. Just don't think the sidewalls are any good.

Just my 2c