Illawarra Ride Organisation Thread!

zanus

Likes Dirt
whats the damage on the track at bally?

are the dirt berms destroyed? or just the wooden structures?

fuk
Only the berm is really dead
Hopefully they dont take it further
A few other things are slightly damaged

pinnin

Likes Dirt
whats the damage on the track at bally?

are the dirt berms destroyed? or just the wooden structures?

fuk
I was up there yesterday, the step up step down was actually fixed, not touched, the only thing i saw was the wooden berm, not real good, but boys have dug out a new berm in front

benwilson1

Likes Dirt
Maybe it wasn't rangers after all? If a few things are damaged, but not destroyed sounds like maybe one of the residents, or some kids have wrecked it....keep in mind it is school holidays...

zanus

Likes Dirt
Maybe it wasn't rangers after all? If a few things are damaged, but not destroyed sounds like maybe one of the residents, or some kids have wrecked it....keep in mind it is school holidays...
I found the drop on the end of the berm flipped
I found the up ramp of the gap after it destroyed
I saw the new jump in place of the rockstar moved around
They are probobly never going to be able to be fixed:(

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
I say fark the club all together. They are friggin useless!

I don't see why we can't put our heads together and try and get things rolling. I mean we can't do any worse than them. Im gunna go see the council tommorow morning and see what we can do. And right about now is a good time. You can apply for government grants for sports and rec....like skateparks and shit.

Ill let ya all know how I go...
Heya Ben,
I put together a group called Illawarra Freeriders, but it stalled at fledgling stage because all the tracks were going swimmingly. I agree that we need to group together, and present a unified community of cyclists to lobby for legal trails in the Illawarra. It is difficult at present with the disbanding of Wollongong Council. I think we first need a group of interested people, and then perhaps a strategy to move forward.

The problem with Wollongong Mountain Bike Club is that they will kick out any member who is found riding illegal trails. That means ride that beginners XC track at Appin or don't join. They don't have a DH/FR wing of the club because all the trails for this type of riding are indeed illegal in the Illawarra. So we're left without representation.

I will be reforming Illawarra Freeriders on Tribe.net should enough interest arise.
All the best,
Scott

benwilson1

Likes Dirt
Heya Ben,
I put together a group called Illawarra Freeriders, but it stalled at fledgling stage because all the tracks were going swimmingly. I agree that we need to group together, and present a unified community of cyclists to lobby for legal trails in the Illawarra. It is difficult at present with the disbanding of Wollongong Council. I think we first need a group of interested people, and then perhaps a strategy to move forward.

The problem with Wollongong Mountain Bike Club is that they will kick out any member who is found riding illegal trails. That means ride that beginners XC track at Appin or don't join. They don't have a DH/FR wing of the club because all the trails for this type of riding are indeed illegal in the Illawarra. So we're left without representation.

I will be reforming Illawarra Freeriders on Tribe.net should enough interest arise.
All the best,
Scott
Tried going to the site but didn't work.
How hard would it be to start a club affiliated with MTBA?
Because unless its a registered organisation, I don't think anyone would take us seriously.

What about starting a petition?

What's this about the council?

ACNRS

Likes Dirt
Heya Ben,

All the best,
Scott

the wollongong mountain bike club will not kick out any member who is found riding illegal trails (dont no what ur talking about mate).
-and they have been trying to get DH and FR tracks all over but keep getting denied. maby if some DH'ers get involved in the club maby more effort will be put into getting DH tracks
-and have you even done the XC track at Appin??

Last edited:

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
Tried going to the site but didn't work.
How hard would it be to start a club affiliated with MTBA?
Because unless its a registered organisation, I don't think anyone would take us seriously.

What about starting a petition?

What's this about the council?
The site is not running at the mo', sorry.

I'm not sure if we can affiliate with MTBA but it is well worth looking into. A thread on the general mtb forums on this site would help with info I reckon.
A petition would be a very good way to start, but we need to target who it goes to and how we can be most effective.

Wollongong City Council is in the deepest pile of ICAC-poo possible with the "Sex for Development" scandal resulting in the sacking of the entire council. I am not sure how the place is run, now (it's been headline news).
Cheers bro.

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
the wollongong mountain bike club will not kick out any member who is found riding illegal trails (dont no what ur talking about mate).
Have you read their constitution? It's spelt out very clearly. I've cut and pasted it below for you, and all others interested, to understand:

6. All members of the Club will abide by the following Rules of the Trail, endorsed by MTBA and the International Mountain Bicycling Association:

a. Ride On Open Trails Only.
Respect trail and road closures (ask if uncertain); avoid trespassing on private land; obtain permits or other authorization as may be required. Federal and state Wilderness areas are closed to cycling.

Any Member found in breach of one or more rules of the trail may be subject to expulsion from the Club in accordance with Section 33.

33. (1) Subject to this rule, the committee may expel a member from the Club if, in the opinion of the committee the member has been guilty of conduct detrimental to the interests of the Club.

http://www.wmbc.asn.au/Forms/CONSTITUTION2.pdf

ACNRS

Likes Dirt
if so many people now want a legal DH track, you should join the club, get on the commitie and make your voice heard.
the wmbc have been working towards a DH/FR track and with more support from the DH comunity some legal DH tracks may be opened. the tracks arnt just going to open by people moaning the WMBC is doing nothing when really they dont no what the WMBC is doing, so get moving and do something to get DH tracks open!!!

McPete

Likes Dirt
If that policy were enforced to the letter, the club would loose nearly every member.

Respect trail and road closures (ask if uncertain); avoid trespassing on private land; obtain permits or other authorization as may be required. Federal and state Wilderness areas are closed to cycling.
<snip>
33. (1) Subject to this rule, the committee may expel a member from the Club if, in the opinion of the committee the member has been guilty of conduct detrimental to the interests of the Club.

Last edited:

ACNRS

Likes Dirt
Have you read their constitution? It's spelt out very clearly. I've cut and pasted it below for you, and all others interested, to understand:

6. All members of the Club will abide by the following Rules of the Trail, endorsed by MTBA and the International Mountain Bicycling Association:

Any Member found in breach of one or more rules of the trail may be subject to expulsion from the Club in accordance with Section 33.

http://www.wmbc.asn.au/Forms/CONSTITUTION2.pdf

yea every club has to have a book of rules, but seriousley, you really think they would kick you out for riding illegal trails when all of the club riders probably ride illegal trails.

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
I agree with you guys about the liberal interpretation of the constitution, but it is important to understand the limitations of any system before you join the band wagon. I will liaise with WMTBC and let you know how how things proceed. Be nice :)

And everyone come up to Redsands today, it's goin off like a socked frog!

jmeers

Likes Dirt
back to riding some mates & i will be doin runs at thirroul and bulli on sunday if anyones up for a few runs

benwilson1

Likes Dirt
if so many people now want a legal DH track, you should join the club, get on the commitie and make your voice heard.
the wmbc have been working towards a DH/FR track and with more support from the DH comunity some legal DH tracks may be opened. the tracks arnt just going to open by people moaning the WMBC is doing nothing when really they dont no what the WMBC is doing, so get moving and do something to get DH tracks open!!!
So if I join up, pay me fee, get on the commitee and they can't secure any dh tracks....can I get a refund?

ACNRS

Likes Dirt
So if I join up, pay me fee, get on the commitee and they can't secure any dh tracks....can I get a refund?
i dout it!
but it would take quite a while to get the track/area cause you gotta get through council. there the ones that keep deniing land for a Dh track so it should be council that use are blamming.