Illinbah DH-4X-XC Open Day - 3 October 2010

Burbass

Likes Bikes
No mate, our Club DOES NOT expect riders to pay again if an event is postponed to another date!! If we do have to postpone the event, all those who have entered and paid will be held in credit until the event is conducted on an alternate date.;)
Hi when will you be calling it off if it does get called off, as some riders are travelling 8+ hours to ride, will you know by friday afternoon?

harveyp

Likes Dirt
Hi when will you be calling it off if it does get called off, as some riders are travelling 8+ hours to ride, will you know by friday afternoon?
Mate, I appreciate that there are guy's coming from interstate as well as intrastate and need to know ASAP however; I am between a rock and a hard place on this! If I make the call too early and it clears up, we lose but if I leave it too late then others lose and we get abused!! I am going down to Illinbah again tomorrow morning to inspect the tracks and will have a post up by tomorrow noon on our decision. Understand that September has been the wettest on record for Qld and we can only hope that it dries up and whilst we can control a lot of things at Illinbah - nature is not one of them! If it rains overnight it is highly likely that we will postpone until the following Sunday - 10 October but lets wait until tomorrow to see what happens.:)

DH - racer

Likes Dirt
the weather is changing alot atm so who knows what its going to be like on saturday and sunday....hopefully sunny :D

chimpy

Likes Dirt
Mate, I appreciate that there are guy's coming from interstate as well as intrastate and need to know ASAP however; I am between a rock and a hard place on this! If I make the call too early and it clears up, we lose but if I leave it too late then others lose and we get abused!! I am going down to Illinbah again tomorrow morning to inspect the tracks and will have a post up by tomorrow noon on our decision. Understand that September has been the wettest on record for Qld and we can only hope that it dries up and whilst we can control a lot of things at Illinbah - nature is not one of them! If it rains overnight it is highly likely that we will postpone until the following Sunday - 10 October but lets wait until tomorrow to see what happens.:)

harveyp: please consider when my father is whinging about losing $700 on a deposit for accomodation for 5 persons on a long weekend on the Gold Coast and coming all the way from Sydney for the day......also consider that you have charged $50/person for a service on the date of Sunday 3rd October through MTB AUSTRALIA not an alternative date as you suggest.... i assume that participants will be refunded if the date is changed!!!!......and we like to practise in wet weather???

friz

Likes Dirt
harveyp: please consider when my father is whinging about losing $700 on a deposit for accomodation for 5 persons on a long weekend on the Gold Coast and coming all the way from Sydney for the day......also consider that you have charged $50/person for a service on the date of Sunday 3rd October through MTB AUSTRALIA not an alternative date as you suggest.... i assume that participants will be refunded if the date is changed!!!!......and we like to practise in wet weather???
I wish some people would just give it a rest. I along with Harvey are tried of little people like this. Try $1200 pre bus, $800 for First Aid, Trucks, food etc. Just go away :mad:.

DH - racer

Likes Dirt
mate, i know it must be frustrating with the money you could loose on this, BUT harvey cant control the weather and if it means postponing the event then so be it, thats the way the cookie crumbles. And if this does happin go to the beach, make something outta it if it gets cancelled.....hopefully for urs and myn's sake it doesnt get postponed!!

norco man

Likes Bikes
I'm another one of the people treking it 10 hours up from Sydney and along with the money lost I doubt I'll be able to get up there on another weekend if you postpone it. Who doesn't enjoy riding in the rain once in a while anyway? in my oppinion it's twice as fun as riding in the dry. I've even gone and bought my self a fresh pair of wetscreams I'm that excited! PPPLLLEEEEAAASSSEEEE don't cancel it!

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate Harvey and the club would lose more moeny than that as friz said in shuttles and first aid costs if they call it off . If they decide to keep the day on when they shouldn't because it's too wet for a non-race event then they'd have to organise fixing the track with only one month to go until the national race because the wetter it is the more f**cked the track will get. And that is something they definately will not need. There will be plenty of other stuff that won't go right for them to fix with out having worry about major track maitanence. I'll be just as crushed if it gets cancelled as you are, especially as I spent two full hours on the phone yesterday trying to get my shift on sunday filled because our rostering is relly badly organised, but oh well though that's life, most things never go to plan. As Lachy said, you can always do something else. Go to the beach, go to dreamworld/movieworld/etc or if you're set on riding then go to Mt Tamborine.

Harvey doesn't want to have to cancel the event but I'm certain that he will make the right choice in the best interests of everyone. But there's no gurantee that it will be cancelled yet so keep positive :D

Last edited:

Burbass

Likes Bikes
I wish some people would just give it a rest. I along with Harvey are tried of little people like this. Try $1200 pre bus, $800 for First Aid, Trucks, food etc. Just go away :mad:.
Good because I am sick of little people like you!, you have $8000 in rider entry fees downhill alone do you really think we are just going to go away?? Don't think so buddy.. You booked an event through MTBA everyone has pre paid for the event, paid accomodation,taken leave of work and now you are going to can it because of a bit of Rain... Nice one mate

chimpy

Likes Dirt
Mate Harvey and the club would lose more moeny than that as friz said in shuttles and first aid costs if they call it off . If they decide to keep the day on when they shouldn't because it's too wet for a non-race event then they'd have to organise fixing the track with only one month to go until the national race because the wetter it is the more f**cked the track will get. And that is something they definately will not need. There will be plenty of other stuff that won't go right for them to fix with out having worry about major track maitanence. I'll be just as crushed if it gets cancelled as you are, especially as I spent two full hours on the phone yesterday trying to get my shift on sunday filled because our rostering is relly badly organised, but oh well though that's life, most things never go to plan. As Lachy said, you can always do something else. Go to the beach, go to dreamworld/movieworld/etc or if you're set on riding then go to Mt Tamborine.

Harvey doesn't want to have to cancel the event but I'm certain that he will make the right choice in the best interests of everyone. But there's no gurantee that it will be cancelled yet so keep positive :D
I have payed money to go and ride illinbah, not to go to dream world/movie world etc. A bit of track maintanence is what you would expect form an event like this. You may be able to postpone the event, but you cant postpone accomadation etc. I understand if its flooding with terrential rain its not suitable for riding, but i won't if they call the event of because of a bit of rain/moisture.

Looserider

Likes Bikes
And people wonder why it is so hard finding volunteers to run events. To have to cop all of this winging over a practice day that IS BEING CONSIDERED to be cancelled in the best interest of the sport is just not on. Sit back and think about the big picture and not be so selfish.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And people wonder why it is so hard finding volunteers to run events. To have to cop all of this winging over a practice day that IS BEING CONSIDERED to be cancelled in the best interest of the sport is just not on. Sit back and think about the big picture and not be so selfish.
I'm not one of those other people complaining... but what exactly is the best interest of the sport?

I have been to National race at Illinbah before when it has been wet and yeah it looked pretty difficult.

Surely riders should be able to practice in whatever conditions are present on the day, including wet weather riding, to best prepare them for the actual race.

Last edited:

nic1894

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have payed money to go and ride illinbah, not to go to dream world/movie world etc. A bit of track maintanence is what you would expect form an event like this. You may be able to postpone the event, but you cant postpone accomadation etc. I understand if its flooding with terrential rain its not suitable for riding, but i won't if they call the event of because of a bit of rain/moisture.
It will be called off if it rains no matter what you say on here, Harvey has a lot more important things to worry about than you... sorry? just the way it because its best for the majority.

chimpy

Likes Dirt
exactly

Come on guys, toughen up a bit. run the race do the track maintainence and get on with the nationals.
They dont postpone overseas world cup rounds if it rains a bit, thats part of being involved with running an event.
Your not doing yourselves any favours by messing people around. Ive been to many victorian races where they run it in heavy rain, snow, sleet, scorching heat.
Were not flying paper planes here.
thats my 2c worth.
Exactly what i was thinking, so what if there is a bit of rain, it could also rain for the nationals and that would just be better practice. LooseRider-what is the big picture of this sport, surely not to cancel riding because of rain?