Illinbah DH-4X-XC Open Day - 3 October 2010

harveyp

Likes Dirt
tis going to be a awesome day :D
Thanks Gold Coast club!
Currently there are showers in Brisbane and along the coastal areas however; it appears to be clear at Illinbah at the moment. I am about to depart for Illinbah to check it out and will post a report later today but for the moment - tomorrow is ON!!!

Downhill_Only

Likes Dirt
Currently there are showers in Brisbane and along the coastal areas however; it appears to be clear at Illinbah at the moment. I am about to depart for Illinbah to check it out and will post a report later today but for the moment - tomorrow is ON!!!
Great News Harvey, Lets just hope it holds off now :)

Dymalla

Likes Dirt
Illinbah cancelled

I'm making this post on behalf of Harvey Power and the Gold Coast Club.
Overnight rain and continuing showers this morning has made it IMPOSSIBLE to access critical areas of the track for MEDICAL STAFF. It is with regret this decision has been made. For those travelling longer distances, hopefully this early call negates any further inconvenience.
Harvey will update this post upon return to Brisbane, hopefully around midday.

DH - racer

Likes Dirt
I'm making this post on behalf of Harvey Power and the Gold Coast Club.
Overnight rain and continuing showers this morning has made it IMPOSSIBLE to access critical areas of the track for MEDICAL STAFF. It is with regret this decision has been made. For those travelling longer distances, hopefully this early call negates any further inconvenience.
Harvey will update this post upon return to Brisbane, hopefully around midday.
is this for real??? fml!!

harveyp

Likes Dirt
Illinbah open day - cancelled due to continuing heavy rain

ILLINBAH OPEN DAY IS CANCELLED

I have been to Illinbah in company of our XC & DH Directors and unfortunately; continuing overnight rain has made it impossible to hold an event there tomorrow. A major influence on our decision to cancel the event was the safety of participants. The condition of the access tracks to the top forest both from Saddleback and the inland track has rendered them impassable and should an injury occur in the top forest requiring evacuation it would be impossible to get a 4WD vehicle in to recover the injured person.

I know there are a lot of disappointed riders out there who were looking forward to the Open Day including me and our Committee but safety must be paramount at all times. As I have said previously, we cannot control nature and yesterday afternoon it was looking very positive for the event to continue. At this point it seems highly unlikely that we will be able to hold an Open Day before the National round but if things change and it is remotely possible - we will attempt to do so!

We are not sure at this stage how much money the Club is committed to paying for transport, medical etc but it appears to be minimal and it is our intention to refund all participants as much as possible of their entry fee. This will not occur before next week for obvious reasons. Once again, I apologise for any inconvenience this has caused to participants and believe me, if I thought there was half a chance of holding this event safely, it would be on!! Incidentally, the forecast has been upgraded this morning for continuing showers today and tomorrow - just cannot win!!:mad:

Burbass

Likes Bikes
Nice one guys only been in the car 7 hours now and too late to get a refund on accommodation who do I talk to about getting my money back..

harveyp

Likes Dirt
Nice one guys only been in the car 7 hours now and too late to get a refund on accommodation who do I talk to about getting my money back..
Mate, your disappointment in the cancellation of this event is understandable but don't start blaming the Gold Coast MTB Club for weather conditions because we have absolutely no control over them. I have spent the past 3 days travelling 3 hours a day between Brisbane and Illinbah to prepare for this event whilst at the same time running a major business in Brisbane which I own.

Oh, and by the way I am 60+ years of age, bust my arse digging tracks for riders enjoyment, administering our Club and don't appreciate the tone of your half ass comment. You want a refund on accommodation - speak with your travel insurance representative!! As stated in my earlier post, we intend to refund as much as possible of the entry fee for all participants and hopefully that will be 100% but this will not happen before early next week.

kona_kona

Likes Dirt
Sigh massive disappointment. Understandable though really.

Any chance it'll be re-run before nationals? I only paid for 2 days practice because I was expecting the open day.

harveyp

Likes Dirt
Sigh massive disappointment. Understandable though really.

Any chance it'll be re-run before nationals? I only paid for 2 days practice because I was expecting the open day.
At this point it seems highly unlikely that we will be able to hold an Open Day before the National round but if things change and it is remotely possible - we will attempt to do so!

I would think that you are still able to register for the Friday practice for Nationals. If you cannot do it on-line give Tony Scott - MTBA a call and explain what you want to do because he is in control of event entry for Nationals. His contact number is 0416 228016

Last edited:

iridedh

Likes Dirt
mate, instead just go ride in tamborine mountain!!! ahhh wait, because of people like you, with stupid attitude they also banned riding there!!!!

nice work, attitude goes a very long way!!!

kona_kona

Likes Dirt
I thought it was made pretty clear early on that rain would effect the go ahead of the event. Illinbah is notorious for being wet. I thought common sense would prevail here.

I really have no sympathy for the guys traveling here who are getting pissed off at the club. Sure get cut up about the rain - don't blame the club or it's organisers.

thinkluke

Likes Bikes
Overnight rain and continuing showers this morning has made it IMPOSSIBLE to access critical areas of the track...
Damn damn rain, its a bummer but not GC mtb club fault... Maybe the people who shut down tambo are witches and did a rain dance to make it rain on illinbah so we couldn't ride :p Can't stop us from riding a different track but. People who drove 7hrs that sucks, but maybe go ride beerburrum? I'm going diggin somewhere :)

DVS969

Likes Dirt
Is the rego still open for the national event, would someone be able to post a link for me if they are.

Kingswood

Likes Dirt
oh waaaaaaaaa

I'm bummed too, but the weather just didn't play the game. been raining all day here at Tambo (near Illinbah) and forecast is for more.

Last edited: