Imagine A World With No Religion

Captain Sensible

Likes Dirt
I think we should over-simplify an extremely complex situation so we can all make gross generalisations which amount to nothing due to their black-and-white worldview.

I think we should keep this up, it's really intelligent, well thought-out and meaningful.
This thread is analogous to children who throw rocks discussing sending a rocket into orbit.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Consider a world without aid organisations which were started, or are still operated, by religious bodies. A lot of unfortunate people would suffer. In particular Africa would be that little bit more fucked that it already is.
Even on a community level here in Australia - so many of our charities are affiliated with religious bodies.
Or perhaps these aid organisations and charities were just started by genuinely good people and the religious branding is really quite similar to [devils advocate]cigarette companies sponsoring sports teams/events[/devils advocate]?

Curlz12

Likes Dirt
It would be lovely.

Although, they did it on South Park and it kinda fucked everything up unfortunately. We can always dream...:(.
hehe that was a good ep.

Man religion SUCKS after 11yrs of catholic education i don't believe none of it.

lawno

Likes Bikes
kinda reminds me of a saying.... if one person has an invisible friend its considered insanity but if a million people have the same imaginary friend its considered religeon....

atheism all the way!!!!!

Last edited:

fairy1

Banned
Cheers for that I was always told he was an Athiest, I always thought he was a bit crazy to be a non believer.

Hitler said it again at a Nazi Christmas celebration in 1926: "Christ was the greatest early fighter in the battle against the world enemy, the Jews . . . The work that Christ started but could not finish, I--Adolf Hitler--will conclude."

I honestly believe I was never taught that Adolf was religious, maybe teacher was religious and didn't want us to know.

hubbie

Forever 1,337
he may have been religious, but the way I see it, and I expect the majority of people would, he had his ideals pretty twisted up.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm a staunch atheist/pantheist, but good call bS.
Cheers :) I'm an apatheist, and for all religions goods/bads that I don't care for, there's one thing I hate more - being told what to think.
People are what's messed up, religion is just another avenue for it. But to think that atheism makes you superior enough to preach to others about your rights is just as bad as anyone else telling you what to think.

hubbie

Forever 1,337
God is an atheist.

Atheism is the lack of belief of a higher power. There is no higher power than 'God', therefore, he is an atheist.
if we want to get technical, Oxford dictionary isn't free online, but dictionary.com defines it as:

"a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings."

and that would allow God to not be Atheist.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
God is an atheist.

Atheism is the lack of belief of a higher power. There is no higher power than 'God', therefore, he is an atheist.
Not if he believes in himself ... I reckon he would be a confident Dude ... I reckon he could pick up in any Bar situation ... all about confidence ... he's a believer

no idea why I can't quote your quote ... anyways ...

If I imagine there was no religion then the Taliban couldn't have blown up the giant Buddha(s) ... So much for being the intellect of the new millenium.

|Matt|

Banned
Not if he believes in himself ... I reckon he would be a confident Dude ... I reckon he could pick up in any Bar situation ... all about confidence ... he's a believer
Yeah but he can't be higher than himself. So hes an atheist.

if we want to get technical, Oxford dictionary isn't free online, but dictionary.com defines it as:

"a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings."

and that would allow God to not be Atheist.
Yeah but like I said, hes not supreme to himself is he?

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Yeah but he can't be higher than himself. So hes an atheist.

Yeah but like I said, hes not supreme to himself is he?
He is the high supreme power and he knows it. Unless he doesn't believe that he exsists then he is not atheist

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
One thing i haven't been able to understand. I'm not attempting to be a prick, but why do atheists only bang on about Christians? I haven't ever heard an atheist shut down buddhism or islam, they always bang on (primarily from what i've read) about the Catholic church. Why?

Binaural

Eats Squid
One thing i haven't been able to understand. I'm not attempting to be a prick, but why do atheists only bang on about Christians? I haven't ever heard an atheist shut down buddhism or islam, they always bang on (primarily from what i've read) about the Catholic church. Why?
No, you are wrong, and I have read enough on the topic to be absolutely certain of this. The catholic church is however the largest organized religion in the world and it would be rather surprising if they didn't feature regularly in critiques of religion, so it's not surprising you might think that way.