Importing parts

spiked

Likes Bikes
With the way the aussie dollar is going (there predicting it might be 80 cents cum sometime next year) i thought it might be alot cheaper to import sum parts from the states.Anyone done this previosly and if so what companies have u delt with or know of and what sought of taxes are u likely to incur?Im new to this and any info would be great.

inlina

Likes Dirt
Don't know what was in the previous thread, but be carefull.

Couple of examples:
-I imported a whole bunch of stuff last year (basically bought some stuff on Ebay), and the smaller stuff that wasn't worth too much (cranks, brakes, chain guide) didn't attract any additional costs coming through customs. However, I also got some forks which cost not quite $300, and I had to pay an extra $130 to get them through customs.
-My brother just bought a digital camera, and he checked there were no import duties (digital cameras attract no duties). However, he had to also pay over $100 extra to get them through customs.

I just had a look at the customs web site, and one of the basic rules is that for any consignmets over $250 being shipped in by sea/air cargo or $1000 by regular post attracts a mandatory customs clearing fee.

Also, I think you have to pay GST on such items based on the consignmet value written in on the declaration by the sender (so if you know the sender, you can get them to write down the value as less, of course this is generally a Federal offence at both ends).

Ultimately, it's only really worth it if you are importing small consignments of odd bits, or big comercial type consignments.

There is a whole lot of tax and duty implications, I would suggest you contact an accountant or lawyer if you want to do it on a serious level.

CG

Ty

Eats Squid
spiked, support your LBS, if you buy enough gear from them, in time they will see you as a valued customer and they will offer you deals which are very competitive with mailorder, in brissy it's the bike shops who get out and build/maintain the trails, hook up dirt from the council for dirt jumps and generaly support the riding comunity, i think it's best to support the people who are supporting you, even if you might not relise it.

S.

ex offender
Ty said:
spiked, support your LBS, if you buy enough gear from them, in time they will see you as a valued customer and they will offer you deals which are very competitive with mailorder, in brissy it's the bike shops who get out and build/maintain the trails, hook up dirt from the council for dirt jumps and generaly support the riding comunity, i think it's best to support the people who are supporting you, even if you might not relise it.
Yep, mail order doesn't give you a lift to the races ;)

Ty

Eats Squid
i'd hate to try and get jensonUSA or whatever to warranty anything either.

inlina

Likes Dirt
Socket said:
Ty said:
Socket, does your shop (can't name any names) give you a lift to races?

Bris Vegas must have some good shops. Don't really know of many shops here that get too involved with trail maint. let alone much else.

CG

S.

ex offender
inlina said:
Socket said:
Ty said:
Socket, does your shop (can't name any names) give you a lift to races?

Bris Vegas must have some good shops. Don't really know of many shops here that get too involved with trail maint. let alone much else.

CG
Yeah the mechanic(s) from my LBS took me to eildon and back... twice. Not on behalf of the shop mind you, but still... how's that for promoting loyalty and goodwill?

Ryan

Radministrator
An online bikestore also won't build you a new wheel while you wait, or let you use their workshop during slow times...support your LBS cos you'd be pissed off if all we had were mail order shops.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Ryan said:
An online bikestore also won't build you a new wheel while you wait, or let you use their workshop during slow times...support your LBS cos you'd be pissed off if all we had were mail order shops.
Bingo. The only reason I can see for importing parts is if they are not available here through your LBS.

curtisrider

Eats Squid
RaID said:
01_250 said:
http://www.unrealcycles.com 8)

talk to ben who runs it and you should be able to work somthing out.
i tried ordering a E13 chainguide through Unreal
he didnt reply to my email for over a week and a half

so i emailed the guy from www.dropnzone.com
he replied to my emails within 24 hrs
and so far the service has been excellent

im expecting to receive the guide next week

so far id recommend www.dropnzone.com

When i emailed him about an evil frame and dj1's he got back to me within 24 hours.

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i guess it depends on your luck

personally i was surprised aswell as ive read the good opinions his shop has been getting both in US and here in Aus for the quick replies and excellent service

his excuse was "Hi. I'm very sorry for the late reply, e-mail has been terribly swamped
lately. To answer your questions"

nothing personal but you shmooze you loose
when he replied i already ordered the chainguide

thats just my experience

#100 :)

Dan

Likes Dirt
just ring customs about tax/gst. they will be happy to tell you. i did that late last year, cant remember what the prices were tho. i do remember it was 10% gst tho :p pretty obvious :) and like 5% tax i think??? not sure. just ring customs and find out.

Dan

Likes Dirt
RaID said:
01_250 said:
http://www.unrealcycles.com 8)

talk to ben who runs it and you should be able to work somthing out.
i tried ordering a E13 chainguide through Unreal
he didnt reply to my email for over a week and a half

so i emailed the guy from www.dropnzone.com
he replied to my emails within 24 hrs
and so far the service has been excellent

im expecting to receive the guide next week

so far id recommend www.dropnzone.com
he must have been on holiday or something. because he allways gives really good service. i have talked to him a few times thru email about various things. good bloke that one 8) very good deals too!