Improving a Rockshox Gold RL fork

coarselanguagw

Likes Bikes
Just bought a new 2020 bike with a “RockShox 35 Gold RL Devon Air” fork. The fork doesn’t feel amazing.

Last fork was a 2014 “FOX Factory Series 34 Float with CTD Adjustable FIT Damper”.

Would giving the fork a lowers service and just replacing the oil and throwing in some slick honey make much of a difference?

I’m just surprised that the old fork felt much smoother and had a plush feeling to it.

creaky

The obviative
No matter what you do, the Rock Shox will never feel as amazing as the Fox.:p

I'd give it a dozen rides to let the various seals, bushings wear in a bit then do a quick lowers service with some new oil, as there can be QA issues with little lubrication from the factory.

If that is still rubbish after a month or two then you could look at upgrading the damper, or getting something better.

Daniel Hale

Likes Bikes and Dirt
“Hmmm Devon”

Most reports Ive read aren’t that impressed withgold35,,, prob needs a damper upgrade, yours has MC? Slick honey couldn’t hurt but won’t make a world of diff

Haakon

veni, vidi, volanti
I've found Rockshox to be pretty light on with factory lubrication, a service sure as hell wouldn't hurt.

Flow-Rider

Wheel size expert
It takes a few rides to loosen the seals and shim stacks, RS are known for lack of oil in the bottom legs.

Last edited:

moorey

I'm full, couldn't eat another dick
I don’t know the fork, sounds like a beefed up Sektor? Never a fork that’s going to feel amazing if so.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Would giving the fork a lowers service and just replacing the oil and throwing in some slick honey make much of a difference?
My conspiracy theory is RS go slim on the fluids and lube to get the weight targets lol. Never met a well lubricated RS out the box.

moorey

I'm full, couldn't eat another dick
My conspiracy theory is RS go slim on the fluids and lube to get the weight targets lol. Never met a well lubricated RS out the box.
Sure...that 20 gram maximum saving is worth risking warranty returns for prematurely munted forks.

Nambra

Postmeridian
I don’t know the fork, sounds like a beefed up Sektor? Never a fork that’s going to feel amazing if so.
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/rockshox-quietly-releases-budget-35-fork/

Think you're right - the old Recon / Sektor in a 35mm chassis, or a budget variant of the Revelation. Motion control damper and Debonair spring.

A rebuild with slicko and low friction seals might help a bit. A charger damper upgrade could be possible if it shares the same chassis with the current Revelation?

coarselanguagw

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the info.
I’ll wear them in a little and then do a service.
I had to laugh when that article said:

Over time though, these technologies trickle down and the ‘budget’ forks we see now are as good as top-line forks from five or six years ago”

[FONT=open-sans, Open Sans, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]In my experience this is clearly not the case. This fork is not even close to the old fox 34. Maybe an upgraded damper may change that.[/FONT]

Zaf

Gearbox Frother
The RockShox 35 Gold is kind of an E-bike version of the Revelation.
Simply put; a Pike Chassis with a burlier crown and straight wall (instead of tapered) tubing with a Motion Damper internal.

In fact, since the Revelation kind of has a cut cost Charger now, the 35 Gold is almost the "new Revelation" with the continued Motion Control damper in it.

Can likely be upgraded to a Charger damper if you want a better feel. But guessing it's just got some cut cost bushings, oils and seals compared to the higher end models.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The RockShox 35 Gold is kind of an E-bike version of the Revelation.
Simply put; a Pike Chassis with a burlier crown and straight wall (instead of tapered) tubing with a Motion Damper internal.

In fact, since the Revelation kind of has a cut cost Charger now, the 35 Gold is almost the "new Revelation" with the continued Motion Control damper in it.

Can likely be upgraded to a Charger damper if you want a better feel. But guessing it's just got some cut cost bushings, oils and seals compared to the higher end models.
Can't upgrade them to a Charger damper. I've asked DSD this and they said it accepts the 32mm Mo-Co damper. Take one apart and you'll see. Made me return a bike due to this issue.

Also the Mo-Co damper on the 35 has a very light rebound tune. Turn it to fully closed and it wouldn't behave like a Rev would at fully closed. Pretty disappointing fork all around.

Reactions: Zaf