Increase HUB buzz and engagement?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
That's interesting, I use a light shock fluid. Never had any issues either, similar k's..
Do you ever get leakage problems? I remember Hadleys and CKs used to leak oil until they moved to Dumondetech or something similar.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Do you ever get leakage problems? I remember Hadleys and CKs used to leak oil until they moved to Dumondetech or something similar.
I have not had any issues, my Kings might only get a clean out every 1500-2000km, seems to be approximately the same amount of black oil that gets cleaned out as the green oil I put in. Prob due (overdue) a service now.

Oddjob

I have not had any issues, my Kings might only get a clean out every 1500-2000km, seems to be approximately the same amount of black oil that gets cleaned out as the green oil I put in. Prob due (overdue) a service now.
Black oil would make me worry. How many kms have they done, any noticeable wear?

I use blue marine grease in my Hopes every 6 months. Hubs have seen 10k or so and the grease seems to discolour a little but not go black. No discernuble wear.

I've got a set of the Project 321s with the Torch 6 pawl freehub (these hubs are so freaking loud). I've bought some of the reccomended Dumondetech Pro X freehub grease to try in them. I'll be interested to see how it compares to the marine grease.

Anyone used a light teflon grease like Weldtite or Finish Line?

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Nope, not used the grease you mentioned.

When I say black, its not like the oil I drop out of my 4WD which is black instantly even after an oil change, but definitely not the green lube I put in, it has a blackish colour which could be either some dirt ingress or wear, regardless... they are the longest owned set of wheels I have ever had, been on 3 MTB's and now on my CX as they were not cut out for my weight and riding style (ENVE XC 29ers with 28 spokes) They go great on my CX though.

Even if they needed some internal parts replaced, better than the $80 my LBS charged me and they were skipping 800km later, a quick YouTube and I realised you didn't need the flash CK tools to service them. 9000km later they are still 100% with my hack servicing.

Oddjob

Even if they needed some internal parts replaced, better than the $80 my LBS charged me and they were skipping 800km later
That would/does seriously piss me off. CK gear is great and all, but the prima donna attitude to tools and servicing really is a turn off.

A mate of mine at work was charged $350 to replace the CK bearings in his Enve wheelset. Granted he didn't service them like he should of, but $350 will keep you in nice abec 5 Enduro bearings for a long fucking time.

ozzybmx

I own a couple of sets of Tune hubs now and they need a bit of love occasionally, they start to creak when they get some dirt inside... the downside of having lightweight hubs, seals might weigh something and are not needed.

Most of my wheels have the good old reliable Hopes, I have seriously never had to service or replace any item on a set of Hopes.. ever... and I have owned and own dozens of sets. I reckon I have about 8 sets of Hopes on bikes at the moment, my kids ride competitively and we have 18 bikes in the garage/vault.

I have given a mate a Hope freehub that he killed by riding single speed and hes a big bloke, but thats it, the only failure I have ever been a part of. Bang for buck, there is not a better hub out there, and I have owned a few "great" hubs over the years, 240's, I9's, Kings, Tune ect..

ozzybmx

And... the Tune hubs were creaking after about 1000km, now serviced by me using finish line wet lube, my Cervelo roadie has the most KM's on it at 8500km and only serviced at about 5000km since the 1000km fix, so we are 3500km approx since the last bit of love.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Don't grease the ratchet pawls on any hub, it's too sticky & increases the risk of slip. Use oil. Only need a drip on each pawl to ensure it springs out smoothly. Some dust will get into the pawls & discolour the oil, because the freewheel body seal isn't super snug, purely because it needs to allow the freewheel body to rotate freely against the hub shell without chain suck. The grub isn't getting into the critical bits, so not cause for concern unless you're really flooding the thing.

Oddjob

Don't grease the ratchet pawls on any hub, it's too sticky & increases the risk of slip. Use oil. Only need a drip on each pawl to ensure it springs out smoothly. Some dust will get into the pawls & discolour the oil, because the freewheel body seal isn't super snug, purely because it needs to allow the freewheel body to rotate freely against the hub shell without chain suck. The grub isn't getting into the critical bits, so not cause for concern unless you're really flooding the thing.
But here's the thing. Hope's come with a light green grease (presumably moly grease) from factory. All of their service videos reccomend a small amount of light grease as well.

I like the marine grease because its water resistant, never dries out and has good lubricity. The grease itself tends get pushed out of the way of the engagement surface but seperates a little bit and ooze oil onto the bits that need it.

Oddjob

I have given a mate a Hope freehub that he killed by riding single speed and hes a big bloke, but thats it, the only failure I have ever been a part of. Bang for buck, there is not a better hub out there, and I have owned a few "great" hubs over the years, 240's, I9's, Kings, Tune ect..
I agree Hope's are the best. I've now got 7 wheelsets all running Hope Pro2 evos or converted pro2s.

I have heard of people snapping the old 15mm qr axle in the pro2s, thus the upgrade to the 17mm axle in the evos and now pro4s.

The only problem I have had is busted bearings in the freehub. If one of the two larger bearings disintegrate its really hard to remove the outer race.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had that problem on the front king - had the hub serviced and then next ride I could not get the front wheel to dig in on the corners, just felt like I was understeering. Pads were stuffed, but the shop replaced them no questions asked, and had a look and they had misplaced a seal.
I'll do what Ozzy does next time.

notime

Likes Dirt
Had that problem on the front king - had the hub serviced and then next ride I could not get the front wheel to dig in on the corners, just felt like I was understeering. Pads were stuffed, but the shop replaced them no questions asked, and had a look and they had misplaced a seal.
I'll do what Ozzy does next time.
I've never had oil leakage from the CK's. I don't bother measuring the fluid amount just put enough it till it looks okay. They started slipping soon after I got them, must have been a solid contaminant in there, I flushed and filled probably 3 or so times since and internals appear perfect still.

ozzybmx

I've never had oil leakage from the CK's. I don't bother measuring the fluid amount just put enough it till it looks okay. They started slipping soon after I got them, must have been a solid contaminant in there, I flushed and filled probably 3 or so times since and internals appear perfect still.
Mine slipped pretty soon after getting them, then as I said, at about 800km after servicing. Thats when I thought, bugger this, I paid 3 times the price of Hopes for these and now they need $300 worth of tools to service them every 800km or an $80 bike shop service.

YouTube soon showed me that the recommended CK grease was too heavy and the CK proprietary tools were a scam if you are an occasional DIYer.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Hey,

All my bikes to date have had the DT SWISS 240s (non-boost) with upgraded 36T star ratchet. Love the sound - love the angry bees.

I recently picked up the 2018 Trance Advanced 1, which I believe runs DT SWISS hubs (boost), but with 3 pawl. I haven't actually opened it to look myself, but got the details from the Giant Australia website.

The pawl definitely feels like there are less engagement points, and while there is a quiet free-roll buzz, it's definitely no angry bees... maybe happy honey bees at best.

Are there any upgrades available to increase the engagements for a boosted (assume) DT SWISS hub, plus get my angry bees back?

Funnily, I want every part of my bike to be silent except for the freehub which needs to be loud, with people knowing that I'm coming up on them from 100s of metres back.

Thanks in advance
Hi @Pork Chop bit of a thread dig but did you keep the hub and if so how has it gone? I just picked up a bike with Dt Swiss M1900 wheels which have the same 3 pawl hub.