Injuries. What's your story?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
:p
Some Pilates is on the cards, general core strengthening, and sensible changes to old bad habits.
Pilates/yoga has saved me from a life on the couch. Try and get a good instructor whose familiar with your injury so they don’t go pushing you into something that’ll hurt.

I lucked in, my EP was also a pilates instructor.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Broke my collarbone in Feb, didn't see a Doc straight away, a week afterwards got it checked and was told it was broken.
Crashed a week ago, told it was broken in same spot.....
Well it didn't feel like a fresh break, It's quite sore but not like a freshie...I've done more than a few.
So seeing ortho tomorrow but my ex ortho gp doc suspects it's a non-union break.
Probably explains why I've been suffering shoulder pain all year and my physio says my shoulder blade is out of alignment.
Bugger.

I know shoulder braces are for people prone to dislocation but I'm wondering if one would help...
I'll make an appointment to see my physio after the fracture clinic tomorrow.

Anyone else had non-union breaks?
I had a non-union in my humerous years ago, needed a bone graft and rod inserted, don't really want that shit again.

Cheka

Likes Bikes
Lost traction on a dry sketchy rocky corner descending on a trail I've ridden hundreds of times, came down hard on my left side and knocked the wind out of me. Bike was OK. I knew straight away I'd done some ribs as I have done them before unfortunately. My collarbone felt busted as well. CT chest revealed 10 rib fractures on the left, somehow ribs 1 and 11 remained intact but I had managed to fracture 5 of them in 2 places causing flail segments. Minimally displaced collarbone and a small haemothorax to top it off.
Got introduced to the wonders of a ketamine infusion whilst having a week in hospital and can highly recommend it!

It's been 5 weeks since the crash and 4 weeks out of hospital and things are progressing well. Been on the stationary bike everyday for the last 2 weeks and went for a very gentle 10km flat singletrack spin with my wife yesterday and felt OK.

My biggest concern was the week we had booked in Derby over the first weekend of Nov but am feeling more confident everyday. Might not be hitting any of the EWS trails though.

I've had a few decent injuries over the years from riding and skiing and find the mental side of recovery the toughest particularly when you have little plateaus in improvement.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Good to hear that you're on the road to recovery, best way I've found to get over recovery is to keep your mind occupied with other things.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
CT chest revealed 10 rib fractures on the left, somehow ribs 1 and 11 remained intact but I had managed to fracture 5 of them in 2 places causing flail segments. Minimally displaced collarbone and a small haemothorax to top it off.
Phark... five double rib fractures... ouch.

Get better Bro.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Some Pilates is on the cards, general core strengthening, and sensible changes to old bad habits.
Pilates/yoga has saved me from a life on the couch. Try and get a good instructor whose familiar with your injury so they don’t go pushing you into something that’ll hurt.I lucked in, my EP was also a pilates instructor.
We did our first Pilates class yesterday, and the instructor knows all my injuries, so I was exempt from some stuff. I think it was very good and I'll keep going. After that I rode yarra trails for an hour and a half, then we went to Fitzroy pool and I did a few laps. OK, my wife swam a shjtload of laps as she is a swimming machine. The swimming is good too, even though I suck at it. My wife was a swimming teacher and can swim endlessly, and she's been working on fixing my dredging hopelessness. Anyway I use fins and swim up the pool doing freestyle and then return doing back stroke, to mix up the muscle usage. I'm hoping to lose the fins over time. But crikey swimming tires me out.

So for me... riding, walking, swimming and pilates it is

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I've had a few decent injuries over the years from riding and skiing and find the mental side of recovery the toughest particularly when you have little plateaus in improvement.
THIS!!

Injuries are shitting me no end at the minute....so much so I've bought an ebike..

L4/L5 disc replacement and L5/S1 fusion about four years ago in a single operation....pretty fit before the op and recovery went well and after 18 months i was 95% back to normal so loving life again and into training hard. Two years ago had a bit of an off on a motorbike...resulted in C5/C6 disc replacement and C6/C7 fusion. Two separate operations, the second one (12 months ago) to try and alleviate the symptoms that the first op was supposed to fix...this has been the issue. Second operation has made the symptoms worse. Neck pain is fucked...all encompassing and everything is in the firing line in a negative way.

Lower back injury I could work around it, still training other parts of my body which wouldn't bother the cyborg portion whilst it was repairing. The neck injury is a right royal c*&t. Did the pharmaceutical torment for a few months, needed the get the fuck away from any more of that shit before things turned completely dark......don't the docs just dish that shit out without a care in the world.

Riding uphill is the worst for me. Trying to keep my eyes up looking up the hill for bikes coming down starts my neck spasming and getting nerve shocks. Then my traps go into protective mode and start locking up so by the time I get to the top of the trail I'm looking like something from the bell tower and lying down trail side is the only option for relief. Its also the pulling of the bars when I'm trying to ascend causing all my huge back muscles to tense causing all sorts of drama in my neck. Going downhill doesn't illicit the same response as the terrain drops away so my neck isn't as stressed holding my head at a funny angle.

Hence the ebike......no pulling of the bars to try and get enough effort thru the pedals to get up the hill, just lower the saddle so my vision is near level and choose the appropriate level of assistance to get up the hill. Buying this thing has really turned my head around. Beforehand every ride was resulting in bulk pain and torment at only being able to do maybe 10klms before I had to call it. Now I'm doing triple the amount of klms and having fun again. Don't get me wrong, I'm still quite fucked at the end of each ride but now they are bigger I'm not so down on my self and seemingly it's enough to get some good natural chemicals flooding my brain.

Never good when the surgeon says it could take 5 years for the nerve pain to settle....or it may never settle. I'm not believing that for a second (I'm saying that right now but there have been some days when that thought has been troubling..) but I have to say, for me the mental battle has been a challenge as I haven't progressed physically as I expected/needed to. The mission creep has been astounding lol but it'll get done. Full credit goes to a couple of my mates who have helped me with this unexpected invisible battle (and a little credit to the Levo too :oops:). Keeping it simple and having gratitude for what I have and can do and not getting caught up too much in what I can't do have helped greatly.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
THIS!!

Injuries are shitting me no end at the minute....so much so I've bought an ebike..

L4/L5 disc replacement and L5/S1 fusion about four years ago in a single operation....pretty fit before the op and recovery went well and after 18 months i was 95% back to normal so loving life again and into training hard. Two years ago had a bit of an off on a motorbike...resulted in C5/C6 disc replacement and C6/C7 fusion. Two separate operations, the second one (12 months ago) to try and alleviate the symptoms that the first op was supposed to fix...this has been the issue. Second operation has made the symptoms worse. Neck pain is fucked...all encompassing and everything is in the firing line in a negative way.

Lower back injury I could work around it, still training other parts of my body which wouldn't bother the cyborg portion whilst it was repairing. The neck injury is a right royal c*&t. Did the pharmaceutical torment for a few months, needed the get the fuck away from any more of that shit before things turned completely dark......don't the docs just dish that shit out without a care in the world.

Riding uphill is the worst for me. Trying to keep my eyes up looking up the hill for bikes coming down starts my neck spasming and getting nerve shocks. Then my traps go into protective mode and start locking up so by the time I get to the top of the trail I'm looking like something from the bell tower and lying down trail side is the only option for relief. Its also the pulling of the bars when I'm trying to ascend causing all my huge back muscles to tense causing all sorts of drama in my neck. Going downhill doesn't illicit the same response as the terrain drops away so my neck isn't as stressed holding my head at a funny angle.

Hence the ebike......no pulling of the bars to try and get enough effort thru the pedals to get up the hill, just lower the saddle so my vision is near level and choose the appropriate level of assistance to get up the hill. Buying this thing has really turned my head around. Beforehand every ride was resulting in bulk pain and torment at only being able to do maybe 10klms before I had to call it. Now I'm doing triple the amount of klms and having fun again. Don't get me wrong, I'm still quite fucked at the end of each ride but now they are bigger I'm not so down on my self and seemingly it's enough to get some good natural chemicals flooding my brain.

Never good when the surgeon says it could take 5 years for the nerve pain to settle....or it may never settle. I'm not believing that for a second (I'm saying that right now but there have been some days when that thought has been troubling..) but I have to say, for me the mental battle has been a challenge as I haven't progressed physically as I expected/needed to. The mission creep has been astounding lol but it'll get done. Full credit goes to a couple of my mates who have helped me with this unexpected invisible battle (and a little credit to the Levo too :oops:). Keeping it simple and having gratitude for what I have and can do and not getting caught up too much in what I can't do have helped greatly.
100% perfect reason for an e-bike.

Keep riding and I wish you an acceptable recovery.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
THIS!!

Did they give you Lyrica? That shit is godawful, and caused me all sorts of bizarre nerve damage.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Did they give you Lyrica? That shit is godawful, and caused me all sorts of bizarre nerve damage.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I was offered that but declined after researching it. Some bad shit..

I was given lots of opioids...tramadol and endone by the box load.

Going to have a chat with the doc about cannabis oil this week (the one with THC removed).

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After my most recent injury resulted in shoulder reconstruction surgery and currently 16 weeks off the bike, I'm contemplating how I return.

So far it's been 3 fire road rides which have provided low thrills and lots of hills. I'm also finding that even tinkering on the bike is a PITA I can do without so my motivation is at its lowest.

At the moment I'm seriously considering how and if I ride. With previous injuries I've been so keen to get back to riding, even when I fractured my spine I was super keen to get back on the trails.

For some reason, this time it's different. I'm seeing risk / danger even before I get to the trails. It's beginning to seem like more trouble than its worth.
What didn't help is that this front wheel wash out (the curse of my life) happened on a simple flow trail I've ridden a zillion times. It wasn't challenging or rad in any way. I wasn't even going fast yet I fell awkwardly enough to trash my shoulder. It really brought home that the injury ninja is a sly, insistent and serious thing.

How have you coped with getting back to riding after a long lay off through injury?

I'm hoping I find my mojo again but I've got lots of things happening in the coming months and getting injured again is going to ruin them all.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
After my most recent injury resulted in shoulder reconstruction surgery and currently 16 weeks off the bike, I'm contemplating how I return.

So far it's been 3 fire road rides which have provided low thrills and lots of hills. I'm also finding that even tinkering on the bike is a PITA I can do without so my motivation is at its lowest.

At the moment I'm seriously considering how and if I ride. With previous injuries I've been so keen to get back to riding, even when I fractured my spine I was super keen to get back on the trails.

For some reason, this time it's different. I'm seeing risk / danger even before I get to the trails. It's beginning to seem like more trouble than its worth.
What didn't help is that this front wheel wash out (the curse of my life) happened on a simple flow trail I've ridden a zillion times. It wasn't challenging or rad in any way. I wasn't even going fast yet I fell awkwardly enough to trash my shoulder. It really brought home that the injury ninja is a sly, insistent and serious thing.

How have you coped with getting back to riding after a long lay off through injury?

I'm hoping I find my mojo again but I've got lots of things happening in the coming months and getting injured again is going to ruin them all.
Sounds like you need to plan a little MTB trip away. High country, or derby (new St. Helens trail before xmas?).

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
It wasn't challenging or rad in any way. I wasn't even going fast yet I fell awkwardly enough to trash my shoulder. It really brought home that the injury ninja is a sly, insistent and serious thing.
I hear you, although I've been pretty fortunate compared to many of the other war stories here but have to agree that most of my more ouchy endos have happened at low speed or a front wheel washout or evil vegetation snagging me.

The loss of confidence is hard to get back but I think just ride and take your time. Do something a bit different and just enjoy a ride without haven't to conquer thing. JRA will do it. Maybe even a bit of road bike time will help.

I find I enjoy more techy riding lately but realise it will probably bite me harder one day. I am never after any trophies and just have fun at my own pace.

It is all about enjoying yourself in the end. There are people that come with warnings - don't follow .

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like you need to plan a little MTB trip away. High country, or derby (new St. Helens trail before xmas?).
That might help, but at the moment I'm just wondering when I'll feel like riding decent trails. A riding holiday might go someway to that. We'll see..

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hear you, although I've been pretty fortunate compared to many of the other war stories here but have to agree that most of my more ouchy endos have happened at low speed or a front wheel washout or evil vegetation snagging me.

The loss of confidence is hard to get back but I think just ride and take your time. Do something a bit different and just enjoy a ride without haven't to conquer thing. JRA will do it. Maybe even a bit of road bike time will help.

I find I enjoy more techy riding lately but realise it will probably bite me harder one day. I am never after any trophies and just have fun at my own pace.

It is all about enjoying yourself in the end. There are people that come with warnings - don't follow .
I know I just need to give it time. Fingers crossed it comes back soon enough.

Flow-Rider

Burner
In the beginning I rode conservatively for a few weeks and reminded myself I'm only human but now after so many crashes, I just get back on the bike and admit that it's part of MTBing. Everyone deals with it in their own way but doubting yourself can sometimes result in a not so good outcome. No point in discussing it with non-MTBers because they don't understand the feeling and they'll just ostracise you for it.