Injuries. What's your story?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I'm with @Mr Crudley - just take your time. When I got my collarbone surgery (had to have the bone plated and screwed back together as it broke completely and displaced one half) at the start of the year, I was back on the trails about 2.5 months later. Danger was everywhere! But in hindsight it was really just my body not being prepared to be back out there more than fear. I had lost a fair bit of strength during recovery, and while I could support myself to ride without too much discomfort - everything in my upper body just felt slow. It was like all the fast-twitch muscles had been sedated and that made everything feel more risky because I wasn't sure I could "catch" any little errors on the trails and that made things feel more dangerous than they should've been. In time everything started to come back online and the last couple of months I haven't even thought about it out riding (aside my "mates" reminding me before every ride - Pricks!).

So IMO just get back to it when you're comfortable with it and feel confident in the body being up to the task of building up fitness again. It's not a race, in either recovery or out on the trails - just enjoy being able to get out when you get the urge.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
How have you coped with getting back to riding after a long lay off through injury?

I'm hoping I find my mojo again but I've got lots of things happening in the coming months and getting injured again is going to ruin them all.
I'm currently nearly 4 months making myself a fraction shorter with a headfirst dirt dive. My back is still sore every day, and if I let the painkillers wear off completely I lose all motivation within a few hours because the pain just grinds at me.

I've been keeping sane building and servicing bikes and doing odd jobs around the house mostly. Once they let me on the trainer I've added an hour of that a day too. Then I was allowed to lift light weights, so now there's an hour or so of that every couple of days. And now I can drive so I've started heading out to work with others to hopefully expand some skill sets.

But MTB mojo is shattered. I've been out 3 times now, first two were basically firetrail rides with the kids. Then I went out with the club last week which was a blast, but I'm scared of almost everything at the moment. Fit as I've ever been with all the zwift KMs, but I'll be wearing my brake pads down at twice the normal rate if I keep this up

I reckon it's just exposure. I've helped myself a bit by keeping the enthusiasm up playing with bikes and sharpening the fitness every day. The big drawcard at the moment is to see how all this works out on the trails. I'm equally worried about riding as I am excited, this is a new one and I hope it doesn't last.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So much good advice and perspective, thanks all.
The danger everywhere is in my head as well as me knowing I'm weaker and more apprehensive.

With the bicep tendon tear I am overly concerned about damaging that again and feel any sudden unseen stress will have me back under the knife.

Eventually I know it will be strong enough and I've been disciplined and diligent about recovery do as not to overdo it.

I'll take my time. Thankfully Strava is something I ditched years ago and I'm not in a race to get back or be the fastest among my mates.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I'm currently nearly 4 months making myself a fraction shorter with a headfirst dirt dive. My back is still sore every day, and if I let the painkillers wear off completely I lose all motivation within a few hours because the pain just grinds at me.

I've been keeping sane building and servicing bikes and doing odd jobs around the house mostly. Once they let me on the trainer I've added an hour of that a day too. Then I was allowed to lift light weights, so now there's an hour or so of that every couple of days. And now I can drive so I've started heading out to work with others to hopefully expand some skill sets.

But MTB mojo is shattered. I've been out 3 times now, first two were basically firetrail rides with the kids. Then I went out with the club last week which was a blast, but I'm scared of almost everything at the moment. Fit as I've ever been with all the zwift KMs, but I'll be wearing my brake pads down at twice the normal rate if I keep this up

I reckon it's just exposure. I've helped myself a bit by keeping the enthusiasm up playing with bikes and sharpening the fitness every day. The big drawcard at the moment is to see how all this works out on the trails. I'm equally worried about riding as I am excited, this is a new one and I hope it doesn't last.

Fuck, maybe you were a triathlete in a former life?

Seriously now. You’ve managed to repair broken bone at a great rate, and the healing process slows down as we age. If the bones didn’t heal I’d be worried. The couch is more dangerous then the bike long term.

slowmick

38-39"
Any chance you can do some exploring bloke? After I did my shoulder I lost all my fitness a bravery. my arm also used to collapse under weight occasionally which can be disconcerting. A lot of my early rides back were exploring, lots of trails I've not ridden, lots of walking sketchy stuff and taking photos. Sometimes just being among the trees can be cool. Riding to a pie or a beer is also cool.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I hear you on the back pain. After I fractured T7, 8, 10 after a freak incident on the bike I used to wake up every morning in pain. The thing that solved it for me was yoga. I'm not sure what state your back is in but if you've not tried it, I highly recommend it.

Mine gives me no pain now as long as I stretch it every day or at around 5x a week.

Glad you're managing to find other things to keep you sane.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Good to see you've been back on the bike man. Ease in and get familiar, sending in no time.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
As The Rev says, yoga is gold. Another activity that may seem counter intuitive, is bouldering. Find your nearest bouldering gym, and jump on the easiest problems. You will be amazed at how much of a full body workout it is. Will give you a core, and back, of pain free steel.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

teK--

Eats Squid
After my most recent injury resulted in shoulder reconstruction surgery and currently 16 weeks off the bike, I'm contemplating how I return.

So far it's been 3 fire road rides which have provided low thrills and lots of hills. I'm also finding that even tinkering on the bike is a PITA I can do without so my motivation is at its lowest.

At the moment I'm seriously considering how and if I ride. With previous injuries I've been so keen to get back to riding, even when I fractured my spine I was super keen to get back on the trails.

For some reason, this time it's different. I'm seeing risk / danger even before I get to the trails. It's beginning to seem like more trouble than its worth.
What didn't help is that this front wheel wash out (the curse of my life) happened on a simple flow trail I've ridden a zillion times. It wasn't challenging or rad in any way. I wasn't even going fast yet I fell awkwardly enough to trash my shoulder. It really brought home that the injury ninja is a sly, insistent and serious thing.

How have you coped with getting back to riding after a long lay off through injury?

I'm hoping I find my mojo again but I've got lots of things happening in the coming months and getting injured again is going to ruin them all.
After the first big injury (off 10 weeks with AC joint separation, no surgery) I was a bit ginger because the shoulder felt weak af. Not to worry though I was already entered into Bike Buller! So I christened my return with a short 12k squirt on the local XC trails, wearing a shoulder support brace.

Somehow I managed to then do the 50K XC event followed next day by the 3 hour brakeburner (chairlifted enduro) without axing myself.

After that though I took a lot of reflection time and did a skills coaching weekend to brush up on my confidence. The truth with this particular injury was it was on a fairly innocuous part of the track which just caught me off guard (mistimed a series of small jumps and went OTB). I think that was what psyched me out the most.

After my second big injury (off 12 weeks with collarbone in 3 pieces) it was due to something completely avoidable and 100% my fault. (taking a blind step down when I was still shitting myself after barely landing it twice that morning).

Coming back to the bike this time was harder as it was such a shitty recovery after the surgery. Took at least 8 weeks just to get 90% ROM back in my shoulder. I was super risk averse and pussied around many features that previously were no issue. It took a good 2-3 months I reckon before I was riding all the features I used to.

To overcome that fear, once I was rehab'ed enough to get doc's clearance for driving etc, i resumed lifting weights at the gym just to feel strong again. Once I had the strength and stability I knew my body was capable, and that is what helped my mind overcome the fear of not being able to control the bike in all situations. Still scared shitless about crashing hard on that shoulder again though.

Good luck with your recovery mate!

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I sometimes wish I did have the fear.
A seemingly endless list of broken bones and I keep coming back for more.

I understand the will/motivation slump though.
I did give up motorcycle racing around 10 years ago but funnily enough that was after watching 3 mates cop big injuries, not my own extensive list. A broken neck, a severe concussion (months of rehab just to remember one day to the next) and a death from mates was enough for me to hang up the leathers...

Ultimately these sports are high risk, we put our enjoyment ahead of the risk and consequences, but if the order is reversed, it doesn't hurt to take a break away from it for a while. Only when you have the absence you will know if you miss or want it.

slowmick

38-39"
Mate did his shoulder at the you yangs on a uphill corner on an e-bike while reviewing it.. He described it as a motorbike like high side when the power came on unexpectedly. Months of rehab for a pretty innocuous off. small things can make a big mess of your day.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I sometimes wish I did have the fear.
A seemingly endless list of broken bones and I keep coming back for more.

I understand the will/motivation slump though.
I did give up motorcycle racing around 10 years ago but funnily enough that was after watching 3 mates cop big injuries, not my own extensive list. A broken neck, a severe concussion (months of rehab just to remember one day to the next) and a death from mates was enough for me to hang up the leathers...

Ultimately these sports are high risk, we put our enjoyment ahead of the risk and consequences, but if the order is reversed, it doesn't hurt to take a break away from it for a while. Only when you have the absence you will know if you miss or want it.
Seeing mates go through that must have been a serious wake up. I'd do the same too.

What was ironic I suppose is that I knew at some time I'd copy a shoulder injury. I'd dodged them many times through premeptive strength training and flexibility routines. I added shoulder protection and the fact is it can only do so much.

A couple more weeks or so off might do wonders for me and my desire / stoke levels.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Complete dislocation of left knee, resulting in;

Grade 3 tear ACL
Grade 2 tear PCL
Grade 2 Tear LCL
Large tear Lateral Meniscus
Complex tear Medial Meniscus
Osteochondral Contusions
Grade 3 Fissuring Lateral Patella Facet
Large Heamarthrosis
Extensive muscular damage including;