Insurance claim denied: their word against mine

Postal

Likes Bikes
I don't agree, if you have something you cannot afford to lose (apart from house) and worry about the possibility of it happening you have spent too much. But each to their own.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't agree, if you have something you cannot afford to lose (apart from house) and worry about the possibility of it happening you have spent too much. But each to their own.
my last claim my insurer paid out 13K (to a bike shop) to build a custom bike as their new for old policy could not buy me a bike due to sizes being sold out. The bike stolen cost me 4K....

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
my last claim my insurer paid out 13K (to a bike shop) to build a custom bike as their new for old policy could not buy me a bike due to sizes being sold out. The bike stolen cost me 4K....
I keep dreaming this will happen to me...

glasslike

Likes Dirt
Sound like a pretty shit situation your in. I would follow the advice of the other forum members and keep on pressing.

PM me if you need legal help, my parents employ a full time lawyer that I may be able to get you access to.

glasslike

Likes Dirt
I do not agree. You have a point but I believe that this is more applicable to people with a higher than average net worth.

I agree that people should live within their means but I believe that people should be allowed to buy a small number of things that are outside what would be a financially wise decision and of course if these things are materialistic then they should be insured. You only live once right?

driftking

Wheel size expert
I'm curious what the keys to the lock have to do with any sort of claim?
At what point does this prove that the claim is legitimate?

It seems stupid to ask for that. Anyone could just send in a new lock and key they just bought and cut themselves. Of all things proof I hardly see how this requirement aids in the claim.

Or of the lock was cut it matters not that the key works or not at the lock.

What do they say they need it for?

Or am I missing something?

Minlak

custom titis
I'm curious what the keys to the lock have to do with any sort of claim?
At what point does this prove that the claim is legitimate?

It seems stupid to ask for that. Anyone could just send in a new lock and key they just bought and cut themselves. Of all things proof I hardly see how this requirement aids in the claim.

Or of the lock was cut it matters not that the key works or not at the lock.

What do they say they need it for?

Or am I missing something?
It is a clause in the contract you are mean to supply the key / keys to the lock. If your bike was secured properly you should have at least the key maybe the cut lock. It proves nothing really just a hoop to jump through. Several insurance policies I looked through tell you the minimum cost of the lock you have to use to be covered should be more than $40 and you have to provide receipt if you claim

Jimmy_Bend

Likes Bikes
Thanks guys, some really helpful replies. Whilst I don't want to pay the 'lazy tax', my main concern with taking this up a notch is that it will screw me with potential future claims with my bikes that are worth a lot more. The first thing they always ask you is how many recent claims you have made. I made another claim about 3 months ago when I discovered cracks in the carbon frame of my Enduro. They made me take it to Leuscher Teknik to get 'scanned', with the outcome being that it was apparently structurally sound and to keep riding it. After the key incident, I'm sure they probably just pay off LT and get them to say any cracked frame is 'structurally sound' just to wriggle out of paying for new frames. It's no wonder you hear of people 'finishing off the job' with cracked bikes...

After that debacle I took the frame to a Spesh dealer (it's a long story why I didn't do this in the first place) and the first thing they said was "excuse my french, but that frame is f&^ked mate, we'll be replacing that asap".

I'm dealing with Velosure.
I would say Velosure asking you to post a key to a lock could be classed as negligible on their behalf, especially if you still have the lock? As they cannot guarantee the safe arrival of said key and should never had asked for it but rather sent an assessor to collect it.

PS: you should always shame them, look what happens to others once they complain on their social media sites/information boards - they usually resolve issues very soon afterwoods. As you said you're worried about future insurances, they are taking the same approach.

Also remind them about your last claim basing their assessment off a single assessment. With those both in mind I'm sure you could use this to build a pretty good case against them?

driftking

Wheel size expert
It is a clause in the contract you are mean to supply the key / keys to the lock. If your bike was secured properly you should have at least the key maybe the cut lock. It proves nothing really just a hoop to jump through. Several insurance policies I looked through tell you the minimum cost of the lock you have to use to be covered should be more than $40 and you have to provide receipt if you claim

Yeah I understood it was a contract clause and requirement to fulfil the claim but I am curious why they even ask for it or include it in the clause. I fail to see how it aids in the claim and any proof of said bike theft.

Minlak

custom titis
Yeah I understood it was a contract clause and requirement to fulfil the claim but I am curious why they even ask for it or include it in the clause. I fail to see how it aids in the claim and any proof of said bike theft.
It proves nothing you are trying to use a rational thought process. There is no rationale to it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Insurance is a total waste of money IMHO especially on a bike.

So people shouldn't save up to buy things that they like? This is either severely flawed communist or severely flawed elitist thought...I can't figure out which.

Having had more than my fair share of bike thefts I am very stoked to have had insurance, and will quite happily keep on having it.

Where do you stand on travel insurance?

gollum

Likes Bikes
in a perfect world we wouldn't need to worry. after having a few bikes stolen and my house robbed, I do worry.
I don't work hard to buy stuff so some lowlife can just take it.