intense or orange

fastrider gus

super huck
im not a big fan of oranges, well the ride anyway.. i love the look though. so far i havent ridden one with a 5th element but i still think the intense will be far ahead..

lindsay

Likes Dirt
I don't want to start a war but look at the two fastest riders in the world, in my eyes anyway. Chris Kovarik and Steve Peat. Intense/Orange, they were the only two to win a world cup last year. Both bikes can't be too bad hey.

Ryan

Radministrator
I'd say Orange are the better race bike, they're the only factory ever to put the same bike under two different World Cup champions (Minaar and Peat) in consecutive years. Thats a huge statement on how reliable and effective the design of the Orange bikes is for DH racing, though personally, the M1 would be my dream DH bike.

S.

ex offender
People often don't like singlepivots for whatever reason... but the reality is that most 4-bar designs (and this is backed up by Dave Weagle, not me) have an axle path that is within a millimetre of a singlepivot with the pivot "below and behind the BB". M1s for example, don't have completely neutral braking either (probably equivalent to the 222 with floater - that floater is very poorly positioned). On top of that.... the M1 has a pretty much linear rate, so the suspension action will be very similar to that of the Orange (cept for the different pivot placement).

There you are, both bikes are a lot more similar than they look.

oneoftheboys

Likes Bikes
boys..... if ya tall an lankey, like peaty an minaar, oranges will work well,,, if your of what a you call a normal build there is nothing like a m1 parked in the garage take my word on that,

Ty

Eats Squid
socket, you fail to acknowledge the effect of chain torque between the different designs, personaly that slight "stiffening" is what makes me prefer the 222, it stiffens up just nicely so is "feels" like it bobs less when sprinting, that said i've spend less than 15 minutes on a M1 with a 5th so i'm sure playing around with it could help somewhat.

S.

ex offender
Ty` said:
socket, you fail to acknowledge the effect of chain torque between the different designs, personaly that slight "stiffening" is what makes me prefer the 222, it stiffens up just nicely so is "feels" like it bobs less when sprinting, that said i've spend less than 15 minutes on a M1 with a 5th so i'm sure playing around with it could help somewhat.
With the 5th I doubt you'd notice the difference in sprinting. Pedalling through rock gardens you'll get a bit of kickback cos of the high pivot of the 222, but if it's that rocky, should you be pedalling through it?

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Socket said:
Ty` said:
With the 5th I doubt you'd notice the difference in sprinting. Pedalling through rock gardens you'll get a bit of kickback cos of the high pivot of the 222, but if it's that rocky, should you be pedalling through it?
yes!

S.

ex offender
He's a freak.... I love his section in NWD2, he's just goin so fast it's crazy.

Mason

Likes Dirt
I would have to say the M1. It just has the geometry right on, so it basically makes you faster.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I haven't ridden either of the bikes mentioned so i've stayed outta this so far.
What i do know is every one has a different riding style and every one has their own opinion and preferences.
I personally would prolly go for an M1(there are others i'd prefere but of the 2 bikes mentioned it'd be the M1) simply because i genrally prefere a linkage activated rear end and am not a fan of falling rate designs like the 222. Having said that, from what i saw of the Orange boys at Thredbo they were absolutely ripping which kinda proves that every different rider will like a different bike to the next guy.
If i could ride i'd be more than happy with either bike.

riles

Squid
huh

IF YOUR FAST YOU WILL WIN ON ANYTHING.
intense vs orange. why bother. lindsey is right both won world cups last year so the proof is in the rider not the bike.
and believe it or not you don't have to be tall and lanky to win on an orange. jarod manages. i'm sure lindsey will manage. and hell everyone in australia other than ben cory is managing as well.
and if you have riden and intense and an orange you wil know that YES they do feel different and no the 5th element doesn't change the fact that there are 4 bars at the back and it still does bob. TY you are always right. the chain keeps the orange feeling tight and nimble when pedaling and on the tight stuff.
SHUT UP AND RACE

andrew said:
red bikes are fastest...
of course red bikes are fastest, same with cars.

but if you had a red orange (what the!?) would it go even faster, thus making it an even better bike?