Is Fox Live Valve suspension akin to e-Biking?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Holy shit, that is a proper underground lair. Makes my quarantine cupboard look pretty poxy!
Mwahahahaha. Smaug's lair of delights. Making other man caves inadequate since 2017.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

goobags

Likes Dirt
If only someone could come up with something like a regressive damper, that has a clever blow off that responds to trail input without the need or complicated and expensive electronics. Then you would have a strong pedaling platform, that would open up the moment a certain blow-off pressure threshold is met giving you all the advantages of both.
But when you take a big hit and the suspension has to move quickly, you still need to get through the initial pedal platform stage, resulting in harshness. Or even the little jittery stuff, damper still needs to make it though the pedal platform. Fox live valve removes the pedal platform before reaching that critical pressure, therefore having smoother reacting suspension.

I had an e:i equipped bike and when it worked it was awesome, I’m sure the Fox live valve will be better. If I could afford the system I would have it back, provided it had a really good warranty and the local bike shops knew how to fix it or it just worked all the time. Reliability of the system is key.

I reckon it does have a market in the trail/enduro scene. Nothing worse than climbing on an enduro bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goobags

Likes Dirt
The mechanical attempts at a pedal platform or whatever you want to call is, to my knowledge, are all speed/velocity/pressure sensing (maybe position as well) but Fox Live Valve is looking at acceleration. I think it would be difficult to implement an acceleration sensing mechanical system which is reliable and easy to maintain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
It's the same damper layout, all they've done is replaced the CTD lever and blow-off valve behind the LSC port with a magnetic actuator that can turn it on and off extremely quickly; then driven it with a clever algorithm that can leave it open where a blow-off valve would automatically close the moment the pressure requirements to bypass it are no longer maintained.
Which is why LV is next level.

Can't wait to actually try it out.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
That and forcing people to run flats.
I think cleats make people lazier than any amount of unnecessary suspension does.
Clearts have been the only way I could get a bike off the ground for years........

As part of that 'XC' crowd, with a bike that has electronic gears, electric suspension is a step too far for me and what I do.

I can see a place on the World Cup tour, or a corporate lawyer's garage wall

Reactions: Zaf

Flow-Rider

Burner
You can't stop progress. The MTB industry seems to be following closely in the footsteps of the automotive industry where eventually it's cheaper to the throw the car away than repair it. They keep on edging towards electronics a step at a time until it will be mainstream and accepted by most. Good bye to simple back yard fixes.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
You can't stop progress. The MTB industry seems to be following closely in the footsteps of the automotive industry where eventually it's cheaper to the throw the car away than repair it. They keep on edging towards electronics a step at a time until it will be mainstream and accepted by most. Good bye to simple back yard fixes.
30,000 lines of code can fix anything.....

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.

Vital just posted this up running it through its paces.
He notes at the 14:00 mark that the bike can feel different when bunny hopping depending on the terrain leading into a feature, which can be odd on the preload of the jump. Makes sense.
Predictably unpredictable, sounds stupid