Is Majura under threat from road upgrade?

Bucket Master

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Initial discussions have involved the concept of some "compensation" but I will believe it when I see it.

That said they are keen on continuing to work with us so its a positive.

Added to that there were other discussions of other sites (to expand the net work) but more on this later

sawyer815

Cannon Fodder
This is a real shame. Its obvious that a lot of people have put in a lot of effort to make these trails as good as they are.

Hopefully with the underpasses we will still be able to make the most of the whats left and hopefully build some more trails.

morto1980

Likes Dirt
...(snip)...

about half of the lower coop is going. George, damn track, pookelstiene, south shore and tractor factor will all be impacted (ie almost destroyed)
work is going to start at the end of 2009 with the western half of the lower coop being logged (clear felled) first

Further - blocks 620 and 586 could be opened up BUT majura road (existing) will remain as a service road (but wont be used much). These blocks are about the size of the entire lower coop

more work to do but there is life in the old girl yet
Now that I've had time to read this carefully and have a look at the maps this isn't such a bad outcome (especially if we can access blocks 620 + 586 to build some more beginner friendly tracks similar to south shore, damn track, etc).

Bucket Master / FR Drew - please keep us in the loop and let us know if there is need for volunteers in respect to this development. There are a bunch of us northsiders that ride at Majura frequently and want the best possible outcome.

Thanks for the work so far.

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
arrrgh! i only arrived back in aus on wed and am soo pumped for a ride in the pines tomorrow. i hope not to much is damaged, but the lower part is so pumpy and fun (if you know where your going!)

ill be up there tomorrow so look for a red SC bullit fly past...or one upside down on the track somewhere..its been a while!!!

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no shit. well i guess if u see a red SC bullit being pushed around stromlo, give me a lift :(

Mal01

Likes Dirt
Draft EIS is out

The draft Environmental Impact Statement has been posted on ACT Planning & Land Authority's web site.

From what I can see, then only mention of mountain biking is under Socio Economic Impacts, in section 8.5.3 MAJURA PINE PLANTATION.

In addition to its production value, the Majura Pine Plantation is important as a recreational resource, particularly for mountain bike riding, as well as for walking, running, orienteering and activities associated with the adjacent Innabaanya Girl Guide Camp. The more suitable recreational land tends to be in the more gently sloping area, which is the area affected by road construction.

Most of the above activities can spread onto other parts of the Mount Majura and Mount Ainslie and any loss or isolation of part of the pine plantation would have at worst only a moderate local impact. This is not the case for mountain bike riding, however, as this activity is restricted to formed vehicle tracks in Canberra Nature Park, which does not offer the same degree of interest or challenge as the network of minor tracks within the pine plantation. The construction of the parkway could therefore have a significant impact on local mountain biking opportunities, at least in the short term during construction, and is likely to increase pressure for unauthorised riding in other more sensitive areas such as Canberra Nature Park.
Once construction is complete, the mountain bike riders using the Majura Pines will use the AFP interchange, the overpass to the vineyards and the planned two shared crossings. The crossings will be designed to accommodate the fauna and the mountain bike riders alike.
Comments close 29 June 2009.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Seems to have covered things pretty well...

Bearing in mind that this is just an Environmental Impact Statement, not a DA notification for general public comment. The scope of what could be mentioned re mtb is pretty limited. They've included that there will be trails lost and that it's likely this will have a flow on effect by pushing users into adjacent areas such as the CNP in order to meet their recreational needs.

Last edited:

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Seems to have covered things pretty well...
So, what's CORC's current plan of action? I'm concerned that there's been too little opposition to the destruction of the singletrack.

Personally, I think that getting rid of most of the trails in the bottom half of Majura Pines is going to get rid of the most usable parts of Majura. Think of a typical race or social ride there - how much of the trails used would be up for destruction: 80 or 90% even? I also think that the new Parkway could be developed alongside the old road .. at least from Innabanya up, impacting less on Majura Pines, the Winery etc.

So 620 and 586 might be opened up to MTBing. Is that a firm promise? When do they expect to allow use of the land?

I'm curious as to what the "lower coop" is, that is going to be affected. Are BucketMaster or rideabike able to show us on a map?

Sooo..

Planning on riding Majura again - next week, next month, next year? Even if you live interstate (hello tourism dollars) then feel free to tell ACTPLA what you think of their plans:

Comments can be made by making submissions (before 29th June) to:

Mr Geoff Reid
Technical Coordinator
Impact Assessment
ACTPLA
16 Challis Street
Dickson ACT 2602
Phone: (02) 6205 2855
E-mail: geoff.reid@act.gov.au

All representations will be treated as public documents unless
requested that they should be treated as confidential.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Sorry if I missed it, but when is construction due to begin? I haven't been to Majura yet but hope to do so soon. Also if the trails are going to be restructured/new trails created Id be keen to come along and volunteer to help:)

joeyjoblah

Likes Bikes
I think it needs to be said that majura is just not high on CORC's agenda. Government funding is too important to them now that Stromlo is in the picture and I doubt they would want to jeopardise that. If we are looking to CORC to lead us on appropriate action that leads to the best outcome for mountain biking northside, I suspect we will be sorely disappointed.

If we care about majura, we need to organise ourselves.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
I think it needs to be said that majura is just not high on CORC's agenda. Government funding is too important to them now that Stromlo is in the picture and I doubt they would want to jeopardise that. If we are looking to CORC to lead us on appropriate action that leads to the best outcome for mountain biking northside, I suspect we will be sorely disappointed.

Posts like the one above really don't bring out the best in me...

With all due respect, virtually everything you've said in your post is incorrect.

For Starters:
CORC is not being government funded. Funds were provided to build a trail network out at Stromlo. We put a lot of work into the planning phases to help get the project up and we supplied volunteer labour during the build, but we were not paid to build the trails. The trail building was a contract awarded to World Trails (Glen Jacobs). CORC received government assistance to bring the World Cup round to Canberra. All of this money was expended in the delivery of the event, none ended up in the CORC coffers. The Government will be running the World Championships this year, CORC will be supplying volunteers to facilitate its delivery but will not be getting paid.
CORC does not control Stromlo and another trail builder is being paid to maintain the trails out there.

CORC is extremely concerned about the loss of trails at both Majura and at Sparrow Hill, will be making a submission to make their concerns very clear.

Majura is CORC's premiere central Canberra legal trail network and represents a significant investment in both time and money. Of all the things on the go for the trails team it's damn near the top thing on our agenda and certainly not off it, despite what you may wish to tell others.

The road is going to happen, we are not the only stakeholder and one thing we will be doing is making sure that we get the best outcome possible for the current trails and that we optimise any future Majura trails.

CORC is also working on a range of other Northside riding options.

I'd suggest that it could be worth contacting the people concerned (the CORC Trails Team) to verify some facts and to see if there is any way that you may be able to assist, before posting more misleading or incorrect content.

Last edited:

...jim

skanky media ho
You could do that.

You could spend lots of time getting people to say, "Yeah, I'll help" - then be surprised when only half of them turn up for the first meeting - and only one puts their hand up to write your submission - and then forgets till the last minute, then does a half-arsed job than doesn't make it past the first desk.

Or, you could go to CORC, who already have the ear of ACT forests and Govt. - and offer your help.

CORC is a group of people. Individuals just like you. Sometimes (often) they're busy with things other than those which you would like focus on. LIke the Worlds, the 24hr, life outside mountain biking, working five days a week and trying to find time for family and friends - just like a normal joe or jolene...

But the CORC stalwarts I know are *always* eager to help people help mountain biking.

If you've got ideas, talk to the trails team. Perhaps your idea will be such that a two-pronged plan might be the best approach. Or perhaps you can do better by, I don't know, organising a petition for CORC to take to Government.... I don't know, but I bet Drew has a wishlist as long as your arm.

But please remember, these guys have runs on the board. I KNOW they're the ones to get us the best result. You help, it'll probably be better.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
CORC is not being government funded. Funds were provided to build a trail network out at Stromlo. ... CORC received government assistance to bring the World Cup round to Canberra.
..and grants to run the 24hr race, etc. Do you see the contradiction there?

CORC has received lots of money from the government and regardless of how the money was spent, the concern expressed by Jo (and myself) is that CORC do not wish to jeopardise future funding or perhaps their lines of communication by being too aggressive when it comes to Majura.

We understand that CORC is full of hard working people - I am a member and one of those people who helped build trails at Stromlo and Majura. I believe Jo is too.

I also believe that despite the number of bogans in this town who are apathetic or even hostile towards cyclists, the government treats all kinds of cyclists well. We have facilities and funding. However, we could certainly do with more, and the destruction of Majura Pines singletrack seems like a not-entirely-necessary backwards step. Now, I have no lines of communication to the govt (beyond my paying rates, and my CORC membership!) I'm thinking my best chance of success is being the Squeaky Wheel.

CORC is extremely concerned about the loss of trails at both Majura and at Sparrow Hill, will be making a submission to make their concerns very clear.
Have CORC asked SMEC/ACTPLA/whoever to consider building the road closer to the old one? Are CORC resigned to the loss of singletrack specified in the EIS?

CORC is also working on a range of other Northside riding options.
Sounds great .. can you tell us what they are?

If you've got ideas, talk to the trails team. .. I bet Drew has a wishlist as long as your arm.
That's what we're doing, here, now. I'd love to hear the wish-list.

Perhaps the trails team should be contacting all members and asking US to assist by, say, responding personally to the EIS?

Last edited:

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Have CORC asked SMEC/ACTPLA/whoever to consider building the road closer to the old one?
From a professional stand point (no one try to sue my a$$ please!) I would hazard a guess that the reason for the current route alignment is two fold. 1) Constructability and 2) the existing road will need to remain in operation during construction. If the two are too close together see point no. 1

The Bear

Also it will be Roads ACT and Procurement Solutions that are managing the contract with some side input from ActPLA

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Answering RichJS

No, I don't see a contradiction because as far as I'm aware the grants you speak of do not exist.

Last I was shown any financial info, we were being charged a fee by the department that controls Stromlo for every single rider who turned up to race and we cartainly weren't receiving a grant from Gov't to run the event.

Stromlo has recieved lots of money from Gov't to be built, the World Cup received lots of money from Gov't to happen. In both cases true.

As far as CORC gets loads of money, my understanding as a committee memeber for the least 2 years is that this is untrue and as far as us expecting to be getting money in the future this is also untrue.

If you look at Bucket Master's post from the 23rd of March at 4:13 you'll see that he has indeed been in meetings with SMEC regarding options for the road alignment. Given that the entire point of the process is to straighten the road, change in alignment from where it currently goes is unlikely anlthough I'll let him answer specifically as to what has been requested.

No matter where they build the road, we will lose trails down on the flat. You might save Pooklestein but end up losing all of Dam Track and given the need to miss Inabaanya, a significant change in position at the other end strikes me as unlikely. If they're putting 4 lanes of road through to join the Federal Highway with the top of the Monaro Highway then it'll go through the flat section adjacent to the base of Majura. No one is throwing their hands up in resignation and walking away.

As far as other Northside options are concerned, we're in discussions with PC&L regarding OConnor Ridge and Bruce Ridge. Discussions have also floated possibilities with the North Lyneham Eucalypts and with Giralang Pines.

At the moment the trails team comprises 4 people, all volunteers with full time jobs and with families. Two of the team are new into the role. We've only just had the last AGM and are about to be meeting to go over our priorities.

The short list as far as I'm aware is as follows:
(not in order but with Majura front and centre)
Majura
Sparrow Hill
Kowen Forest
Isaacs
Pine Island
Bruce Ridge/OConnor
Giralang Pines
Tuggerannong Pines
Increased General CNP Access
Cotter Loop
New Greenhills access
Blue Range

Issues including:
Upkeep of exisiting trails
Loss of existing trails
Building of unauthorised trails
Auditing of unauthorised trails for possible retrospective approval
Development of freeride and technical trail features (Shore)
Development of authorised dirt jump facilities
Conflict with other users (negative interactions, cases of booby trapping)
Conflict with land managers

A fair bit for 4 people in their own time?

More productive to get in touch and see how you can assist than to just be the squeaky wheel. There are lots of squeaky wheels who bitch regularly but do sweet FA when it comes to helping and, trust me, people get really tired of it.

Last edited:

astroboy

CORC Trails team
Perhaps the trails team should be contacting all members and asking US to assist by, say, responding personally to the EIS?
CORC does something even better than this. Every year they put out an email and lots of notice about a little event called the AGM, inviting ANY member to come along to put their hand up to help not only in the trails area but in lots of other areas as well.

If you really want to help out then this is a prime opportunity to be heard on what you think the trails priorities should be for Canberra. As those people who have given up their time to advocate for improvements to MTB facilities through legal and formal channels they have the final say in what these priorities are (in consultation with the broader committee and through a range of other information sources). Being volunteer and all, sometimes they don't have time to update the world on all the current issues they are pursing (like Majura, which as FRDrew has confirmed IS on their hit list as numero uno).

Sqeaky wheels do nothing but show those on the other side of the negotiating table that we are divisive.

So can I assume you got along to the AGM just recently then?

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't believe people are having a crack at CORC they do a wonderful job and i think without them MTb in Aus would be much the poorer. no one wants to see either venue go and Im sure that CORC are doing everything they can but as has been stated the road will happen, and the desires of 300 CORC members {think that number is correct} is small fry in the eyes of the developers, i think if we are able to maintain a riding area at Majura even if it is a smaller one then they have done well.