Is Majura under threat from road upgrade?

niftydog

Likes Dirt
Public consultation on the Majura Parkway development has been extended.
I understand for an extra two weeks, which would make it mid July, but can't find any official word as yet.

Get it off your chest folks!

ABC Canberra said:
The ACT Greens have welcomed the Government's decision to extend the public consultation period for the proposed Majura Parkway development.

The Government granted the extension after the North Canberra Community Council said it was concerned about the four-lane highway and called for a public information meeting.

Greens MLA Shane Rattenbury says there was no need to rush the process especially because there are serious problems with the proposed route.

Mal Adjusted

Cannon Fodder
I'm not a mountain biker, but I joined this forum purely to put a plea to all in this community to not frustrate the construction of Majura Parkway. I live in Harrison and work in Hume. Majura Lane is impassable in a.m. so I do the rat-run through Hackett, Ainslee etc coping with a 50-minute commute some days (I left Sydney to escape this: ironic, wot?). Majura Parkway has been part of the Territory Plan for decades and will make a huge difference to all Gungahlin residents. As pointed out by many on these pages, the use of Majura Pines for MTB riding was always temporary.
Please, no repeat of the "Save the Ridge" debacle.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I'm not a mountain biker, but I joined this forum purely to put a plea to all in this community to not frustrate the construction of Majura Parkway. I live in Harrison and work in Hume. Majura Lane is impassable in a.m. so I do the rat-run through Hackett, Ainslee etc coping with a 50-minute commute some days (I left Sydney to escape this: ironic, wot?). Majura Parkway has been part of the Territory Plan for decades and will make a huge difference to all Gungahlin residents. As pointed out by many on these pages, the use of Majura Pines for MTB riding was always temporary.
How about you ride a bike? It would be quicker! I don't think there you will find a sympathetic ear here...

Ezreal2001

Likes Bikes
Actually, there's temporary and there's temporary. In the case of Pine Plantations such as Maj (and Sparrow) as there will always be a day when the site is harvested, but there is the opportunity to rebuild.

The realignment changes this picture by permanently excising land including some significant sections of single track. Hopefully this opportunity to make the government aware of the magnitude of the loss will ensure ongoing access to Maj and possible alternative access.

So while it would be lovely to see a reprieve for George and the Gastro Intestinal tract - I wasn't aware that the game plan for Maj actually involved blocking the Majura Rd realignment (to save the impacted areas).

OTH you might want to raise your concerns with the North Canberra Community Council http://northcanberra.org.au/. They're concerned about the possibility of the Majura Rd realignment being part of a plan to convert Canberra Airport into Sydney's second airport.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Folks, a couple of weeks ago the CORC Trails Team went out and did an audit of the majority of trails from the central north/south fire road down to Majura Lane.

While the loss of many of the pre-exisiting trails in the lower coops is regrettable, there are many areas which from the plans will be unaffected by the new road alignment and which are heavily underutilised since tree thinning took place 5 or more years back.

We have significant plans to do some clearing of debris and install flowing beginner friendly singletrack into many of these areas (plus some challenging and fun stuff for the more advanced riders).

Majura is the fave riding spot for the head of the trails team (and many other folks heavily involved in the trailbuilding side). We intend to do all we can to make Majura as good as ever. The road just means that the location of some of the "good bits" may shift.

the head

Likes Bikes
We have significant plans to do some clearing of debris and install flowing beginner friendly singletrack into many of these areas (plus some challenging and fun stuff for the more advanced riders).
This is an excellent opportunity to get some fresh track at Majura. It still saddens me to think we may lose access to the gullies.

Majura is the fave riding spot for the head
How did you know?

Last edited:

niftydog

Likes Dirt
I'm not a mountain biker...

will make a huge difference to all Gungahlin residents.
WTF?

I don't think there's any hint of the MTB community being a potential frustration to this project. However, this project makes a huge difference to the MTB community too, as well as many other stakeholders, and we are just as entitled as all of them to put forward our views whether you like it or not, buddy.

I don't think Mal from Mal Adjusted would be too happy to have his business name used in this context either!

Spectre-d

Cannon Fodder
It'll be good to see a few under used area's be brought back into the spotlight, but it'll still be a shame to see the gullies go.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
As Ive probably said bebfore, I dont usualy ride the tracks in that bottom track so its no real issue for me, but I know they are very popular amoungst a lot of riders and it will be a greta loss. But what are the chances of CORC using this as a way of building in new ares at Majura? It would be awsome if we could maybe extend the down hill track a bit further up and maybe add a few tracks going down to the back of hacket or something.

scbullit

Likes Dirt
This is an excellent opportunity to get some fresh track at Majura. It still saddens me to think we may lose access to the gullies.
I don't think the project will affect the gullies too much - from what I can tell, it seems to mostly run along the bottom of the two main north/south fire roads...

JimT

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

There was an interview this morning on ABC Radio regarding the duplication. Thought some of you may be interested in reading the transcript.

DISCUSSIONS ON PROPOSED DUPLICATION OF MAJURA ROAD.
INTERVIEWEES: SARINA LOCKE, ABC RURAL REPORTER, ; MATT SWAINSON(*), CYCLIST, ; SHERI MCARDLE-ENGLISH, TRUFFLE GROWER, ; FRANK VAN DE LOO, MT MAJURA VINEYARDS,; MATT ROSSITER, CYCLIST,

ROSS SOLLY: Good morning Sarina Locke.

SARINA LOCKE: Good morning Ross Solly. Can you hear all the trucks and cars that are already going by at - what time is it - 22 minutes past six?

ROSS SOLLY: Yes, I can.

SARINA LOCKE: On 666. Yes, I'm on Majura Road. Majura Road is the road that runs down to the airport, links up with the Monaro Highway, and all the people perhaps going skiing. It also links up to the Federal Highway heading up to Sydney, so north of Canberra.
But I'm with some cyclists who have already been out and about so early this morning. And we're dancing about on the spot, even though it's only six degrees. It is quite chilly. Matt Swainson, you're concerned about the proposal to double this sort of road. What's your main concern?

MATT SWAINSON: Yes, look, this is a pretty iconic location in terms of Australian mountain biking. And the alignment that's currently proposed - we're looking at losing about 30 per cent of these trails. Which you know, it's a fairly small mountain bike park already. You know, with 30 per cent of the trails gone, that could spell the end of the park.

SARINA LOCKE: What will you lose? What will that 30 per cent cut into when the road is built?

MATT SWAINSON: The 30 per cent is mainly intermediate and beginner trails. So in terms of holding races - and you know the National Solo 24 Hour Race was held here this year. In terms of those sorts of races, without the flatter sort of trails those races are very hard to put on.

SARINA LOCKE: Why? Why do you need the extra 30 per cent? What would you lose with that?

MATT SWAINSON: Yes, look, when you've got 100 or 200 riders out on a trail, you need some flat areas. You need some more beginner-type trails to allow those races to go ahead. We can't all be racing on rocks and jumps the whole time.

SARINA LOCKE: And when you did have the 24 Hour Race here, you were camped at Mount Majura Vineyards. Is that right Frank van de Loo from Mount Majura?

FRANK VAN DE LOO: That was huge. They really filled the whole paddock. They had a great time. It was a really big weekend.

SARINA LOCKE: And a cinema set up and food stalls?

FRANK VAN DE LOO: All sorts of things going on, and wine tasting as well.

SARINA LOCKE: Well indeed. And it will cut into the vineyard. We've heard from you already, before six, that it will cut partway through the vineyard. Do you have a problem with the alignment, do you, as well?

FRANK VAN DE LOO: Just really a question though - why the alignment that is currently chosen is the one that has been chosen. Because, like as Matt is saying, it does have some impacts that a different alignment might not have.

SARINA LOCKE: Sherry McArdle-English is also on Mount Majura. She's a farmer here. She grows truffles. But you were wised-up, as well as the Mount Majura Vineyards, that the freeway would go through here.

SHERRY MCARDLE-ENGLISH: Yes Sarina. In 2004, I actually went and spoke with Roads ACT, saw the preliminary plans at that stage, and then based on that information I made a conscious decision at that time to move our fence line for the truffle farm back 30 metres from the road. So for us I guess it has minimal impact.

SARINA LOCKE: And you see that there is a need for it. We're standing here at quarter past six, twenty past six, and the road is very, very busy.

SHERRY MCARDLE-ENGLISH: It is very busy. I've noticed in the time that we've had the truffle farm in place it means that I spend a lot more time down near the road area. I've been amazed at the amount of traffic that has increased over the last four years.

SARINA LOCKE: Matt Rossiter is a cyclist as well. Come forward a bit. You are concerned that they're forced into this alignment because of the proposal to put a very fast train through to the airport. What are you concerned about?

MATT ROSSITER: We're just concerned that the alignment of the road seems to be being pushed west because of the very high speed train. We're not entirely sure if the consultation process has gone through to say that Canberra actually needs a train. And the fact that the train is going to the airport, where perhaps going into the city or somewhere else in Canberra might be a more sensible option for Canberrans.

SARINA LOCKE: So there were sort of five options that they could have taken, and
they've come down to one with asking people to accept one.

MATT ROSSITER: It seems that in the initial reports that were undertaken into the viability of the different alignments, there were three additional options proposed using the existing alignment of the road and not going through Majura Pines or the vineyards or near the truffle farm as well, yes.

SARINA LOCKE: For those people who don't ride mountain bikes, they see that there is already Mount Stromlo. There's already one out towards Bungendore, on the Bungendore Road, the Kings Highway. Matt Swainson, why should we worry for mountain bike riders that they might lose the Mount Majura Pines?

MATT SWAINSON: As I was saying before, this is a pretty iconic mountain bike location, even in terms of throughout Australia. If you sort of think of Noosa and knocking out the reef at Noosa, what that would do for surfing, that's sort of what we're talking about here with this mountain bike park.

You know, it's an inner-city park. It's 15 kilometres from the CBD. It's pretty unique in that you're riding in pine. It's a lot different to riding out at Stromlo. And I've also heard there's news in the pipeline that they're going to knock out Sparrow, so that's the trail out of the Bungendore that you were talking about.

SARINA LOCKE: So you might be down to one bike track?

MATT SWAINSON: Yes, and also, we've also got to remember the O'Connor Ridge. We obviously lost that trail, had that cut in half for a road. So yes, we're losing trails bit by bit.

SARINA LOCKE: Yes. I mean we're opposite the AFP, the training ground for the enlarged AFP. Could they take more of that pines, do you believe?

MATT SWAINSON: Sarina, I've never had a look in there myself, being an AFP ground. Look, I understand that there's room there to put an alternative route there. I think that really is the point as to what consultation and what thinking has gone into alternative routes.

We've been presented with a route that goes through our mountain bike park at the moment. What thinking has gone into other routes that are possibly less damaging, cost less and are less damaging to the environment?

SARINA LOCKE: Matt Swainson, Matt Rossiter, Frank van de Loo and Sherry McArdle-English, thanks for getting up so early, dancing around outside Mount Majura Pines. I'll hand back to you, but I'll just tell you Ross that they had a letter that they were sending to the Planning Minister. And they thought they might send it in with 10 signatures. They've actually got 150 signatures. And the movement is still growing to support the mountain bike riders out here.

ROSS SOLLY: So do they actually feel confident that they can actually make any change, Sarina?

SARINA LOCKE: Do you think?

MATT SWAINSON: We shall see. The numbers are growing.

ROSS SOLLY: Well, bigger movements have started from very, very small things and been successful. But it's very hard to change government minds, isn't it?

SARINA LOCKE: I think they're probably trying to get what they can out of what's left. Is that right? Yes. I think we're getting nods here.

ROSS SOLLY: Thank you very much Sarina.

SARINA LOCKE: Back to you Ross.

ROSS SOLLY: Yes, thank you.

SARINA LOCKE: No worries.

ROSS SOLLY: And thank you to your guests out there at what does sound like a very busy Mount Majura. There might be some traffic delays now as people slow down to have a look at the person on the side of the road with a microphone making a lot of noise. That is Sarina Locke, our rural reporter, out and about.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Bear in mind folks this is a public information session about the study that has been done into environmental impacts, it's not a call for a public bitch session about the fact that you do or don't like the idea of the project.

Environmental impact wise, the significant thing is that by removing a substantial proportion of the beginner level trails, riders will relocate to other nearby areas for their singletrack experience and it is very likely that these will be walking trails or illegal singletracks in the north side of Canberra (most likely the Mt Ainslie and Bruce Ridge nature parks).

niftydog

Likes Dirt
Update received via email:

Hello again cyclists,

Another quick update on the effort to save the Majura Pines:

As a result of the impressive cyclist turnout at the Majura Parkway public meeting in July, ACT Roads (Tony Gill) and the design contractors (SMEC) offered to meet a group of mountain bikers to discuss the issue further. The meeting occurred on 13 August at the ACT Roads offices in Lyneham and went much better than we had anticipated. In reaction to the raft of comments made at the public meeting, ACT Roads commissioned SMEC to produce a further two options (6 & 7) and presented these to us at the meeting. Both options impact the Pines to a much lesser degree than the "preferred option" outlined in the draft EIS. This is good.

Option 6 is a full Parkway sized road, which traverses the Pines much lower than the "preferred option". This has the advantage of no longer bisecting the Pines - rather it removes the bottom sections nearer the existing road. However, this is still a significant tract of road and will claim 100m or so of the lower single tracks (but much less than before). Option 6 will maintain the proposed 100kph speed limit.

Option 7 is essentially a duplication of the existing Majura Road and will utilise AFP land on the opposite side to the Pines. It will have very little impact on the Pines at all. Although this does seem like the perfect option for the Pines, the road will have a reduced speed limit to 80kph for the section that passes by the Pines, before increasing to 100kph once again. Aside from the AFP land use, option 7 also necessitates a set of traffic lights at the entrance to the AFP.

A caveat to these options is that, at this stage, we understand the AFP has not agreed to either (Option 7 will remove some of their land and will require lights at their entrance, instead of an off-ramp). That consultation is in its early stages and should remain up to ACT Roads.

SMEC raised the issue of offsets, to compensate for any loss of trails in the Pines (should it come to that). We indicated that while we would prefer to lose no trails, we are pragmatic enough to realise this may not be possible and would certainly consider options to develop trails in lands adjacent to the Pines.

The meeting finished with an undertaking from ACT Roads that the options 6 and 7, along with the "preferred option" from the EIS will be referred to the appropriate Ministers (Jon Stanhope and Andrew Barr as the Minister for Planning) for consultation and a final decision in September. ACT Roads have also undertaken to communicate any changes to this plan to the group of us present at the meeting. In response, we offered to assist ACT Roads and SMEC in any way we could with regards to design issues related to the mountain bike trails at the Pines.

Unfortunately, options 6 & 7 are not publicly available for you to view - although we did request that they be made available.

So what next?

The plan from here is to write to the Ministers concerned to lobby for Option 7; so they are aware of the strong recreational value of the Pines, to all Canberrans, especially us Mountain Bikers.

Thanks again for your valuable support and comments so far. We'll keep you informed of progress.

Happy riding,

Ian Burns
Matt Rossiter
Matt Swainson
Brendon Mulloy

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Last I heard the federal funding for the road upgrade in the Majura area had fallen through so there's probably a good few years up our sleeves.

As you can see, discussions are underway with the project planners regarding the alignment so that they are well aware of the concerns held by the riding community. Al possible constructive steps will be taken to reduce the impact when the road does eventually go through.

The trails team have also gone into Majura and identified a few areas where trails were lost last time thinning took place and where we could significantly extend the beginner level networks (which are the ones that will be most severely impacted by the proposed road building).

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Well, there'll be a bit of soggy pine forest lost, but on-road cycle lanes in both directions along Majura road are long overdue. With Gungahlin growing as it is/has, having cycle access to Russell, Campbell, Fairbairn, Fyshwick and Brindabella Park along the new road will be a very positive change. Currently cycling along Majura road is suicidal, and alternative cycle routes add a lot of time.

Look on the bright side of the inevitable!

- Joel

Mtb1speed

Likes Dirt
Well, there'll be a bit of soggy pine forest lost, but on-road cycle lanes in both directions along Majura road are long overdue. With Gungahlin growing as it is/has, having cycle access to Russell, Campbell, Fairbairn, Fyshwick and Brindabella Park along the new road will be a very positive change. Currently cycling along Majura road is suicidal, and alternative cycle routes add a lot of time.

Look on the bright side of the inevitable!

- Joel
Glass half full I agree. A fair chunk of the lower pines will be lost, but as Joel says we need the training (cycle) lanes along the new parkway. Scuttlebutt that I have heard is we will still have the higher slopes up around the batcave etc and we may get access to the little group of pines to the east of the existing road (maybe via an underpass?), the existing road by the way stays as it is for the most part and becomes a service road for properties along there, similar to the service road beside the federal highway. I think (or hope) that the territory government has their eyes open to what MTBing brings to the territory and therefore will cater for the loss somehow. Time will tell though.