Is Strava putting other MTB Riders and the general public at risk?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Dude, don't steal my excuses- they're mine!

The only reason I got fitter, was I wanted to be on the leader boards but was too tight to get premium and adjust the leaderboards down to my weight/age/sex

Besides, what's the point of a hill so steep that a runner can do it faster than a bike rider?

floody

Wheel size expert
Strava is for those who are too up themselves to acknowledge that there are faster riders out there and riding is not racing. For the social retards who can't make real friends or even facebook friends, Strava is perfect. Because no matter how shit at riding they are, there will a lways be someone slower. So by posting a time, they feel awesome for a few minutes within their own cyber community. Let them think that they are what they say. So many kilowatts and beats per minute etc. The times on race day however, are the times that count.
I use strava to track/record my own progress. If there are 786 people faster than me, yes, it does inspire me to try a bit harder but I mostly just care about whether my times and hopefully fitness and skills are getting better. Even a casual trail ride picks up pace as you get fitter for the climbs and descend with greater finesse. I'd use it on a solo trailride, but probably not on a casual ride with some mates. I focus on doing better, be it climbing or descending, but I don't have a Garmin beeping that I need to punch it for a segment, its on my phone in my pocket and I just see how I went at the end of the ride.
I certainly don't use it because I am 'too up myself to acknowledge that there are faster riders out there and riding is not racing'.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I use Strava/Garmin as a ride log and to find new places to ride when I visit places I've never been before...how cool is it to know that theres a loop north of Port Fairy in western Victoria that'll give me a couple of hours entertainment for instance?

Yeah I've a couple of KOMs but they are for places so short, stupid and remote that no silly bastard is ever going to be arsed so it's a hollow victory in the extreme. Though we did create a coupe of segments to tempt and annoy the local roadies. That was gleeful for a couple of minutes...

Oh and if you haven't used Veloviewer to examine your Strava record in minutiae then you are just not ubercool...plus it busts those short KOM bubbles in one easy lesson.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
And possibly, the use and future use and development of MTB Trails.
At least 4 riders were on Strava riding the CLOSED Old Mans Valley @ Hornsby.
Someone else said it, but it is not STRAVA that is the problem, it is idiots.
I have met guys, who have been caught in there, when rain fell, and the BOARDS turned into slippery slides.
Hopefully the CLOWNS got there just rewards.
Hornsby Council are forward thinking to put the MONEY, EFFORT & Time into MTB, we need to warn off these clowns.
Other Councils are watching what is happening at Hornsby so we need to protect what we do have.
Good Riding Guys

Knut

Troll hunter
I remember when mates woukd ride together and share the joys of riding a bike. Why would you need to electronically qualify that experience? The way of the world I guess.

moorey

call me Mia
I remember when mates woukd ride together and share the joys of riding a bike. Why would you need to electronically qualify that experience? The way of the world I guess.
Get with the times old man. You're living in the past, stop living in the past.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
And possibly, the use and future use and development of MTB Trails.
At least 4 riders were on Strava riding the CLOSED Old Mans Valley @ Hornsby.
Someone else said it, but it is not STRAVA that is the problem, it is idiots.
I have met guys, who have been caught in there, when rain fell, and the BOARDS turned into slippery slides.
Hopefully the CLOWNS got there just rewards.
Hornsby Council are forward thinking to put the MONEY, EFFORT & Time into MTB, we need to warn off these clowns.
Other Councils are watching what is happening at Hornsby so we need to protect what we do have.
Good Riding Guys

haha i commented on every strava ride i could find when the closure was on. 2 deleted the rides, 1 deleted my comment and changed the title of his ride to fox puppet the social engineer ;) this same guy did the southsde loop too, not just the section below the road, so he would have actively gone past the closed signs climbed the log barriers to get in there. He is obviously a Roadie/commuter as his profile is mainly rides from the Dulwich hill to pyrmont and back, some clowns have no idea!

http://app.strava.com/activities/47591661#830361690

Last edited:

Hugor

Likes Dirt
I record every single ride on strava, endomondo, and garmin connect. This includes my short daily commutes to work as well as my road and off road epics.
I frequently take pics on my instagram app which syncs with my strava account so the pics appear beneath my ride. Lots of my friends do this too.
I'm certainly not racing all the time, in fact my daily commute is usually a pootle.
After a shit day at work I'd rather unwind on the bike that get even more stressed in traffic. Going for strava segments is pretty stressful too.

I have 20 odd KOM's but only 2 worth bragging about. The remainder are too remote so the numbers are low.

Strava is just social networking of cycling for me. I like seeing what and where my mates are riding. Its more interesting than looking at the drivel people post on fb.
Its only dangerous if you choose to make it so.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Strava is not the Problem people are!

Keep on their back Foxpuppet. Must have been very wet for that guy as his time is very slow.
I have a big dislike for people who wreck trails. Tuesday I spent one hour cleaning up after someones 10 minute MOTO ride.
I know sometimes it is frustrating when trails are closed. I live in Campbelltown and rarely ever get to ride Mt Annan, due to times it opens and the amount of time it is closed due to weather.
KENTLYN is always open. So when people travel from the city and find the closed sign at MT Annan they usually end up at Kentlyn. There is also a great little track at Harrington Grove called The Grove on Trailflix
MTB is the life.

Hyped

Likes Bikes
I like Strava, it's always interesting to know how times compare on popular trails.

The main problem I see is guys going hard during peak use periods (weekends...etc) when it's unlikely they're going to get a clear path... lots of new riders about, kids..etc pointless getting aggro about it. Get in early before the crowds.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I remember that, and I remember it was still always a race. Whether trying to drop your mate on the climb or leave him floundering on the descent. Nothings changes except now you don't have to be on the same ride for the competition to continue