Is Strava putting other MTB Riders and the general public at risk?

doosh

Likes Bikes
Just imagining strava in the bedroom -

Partner 1 - wait, wait.
Partner 2 - sorry, strava run.
That would make for some interesting GPS data.
Distance: 0km
Ride time: 0:2:43
Avg Speed: 43km/h
Elev Gain :12cm

Too bad if you get KOM - someone will need to borrow your mrs to get the same segment.

riderideride

Likes Dirt
OK.... so boulder is a two way trail... if I am going to ride up it I am definitely going to give way! its too technical a trail not to let the person coming down to have right of way. You would end up causing an accident. And you dont have to be going that fast when rocks and obstacles are involved to have an accident.

fergo

Likes Dirt
That would make for some interesting GPS data.
Distance: 0km
Ride time: 0:2:43
Avg Speed: 43km/h
Elev Gain :12cm

Too bad if you get KOM - someone will need to borrow your mrs to get the same segment.
You'd be asking questions if you weren't KOM.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
strava, run! WTF? has it got teeth, does it eat humans?

Actually, the rules are give way to ME. So look out!

Enlightening thread! before reading this, if anyone yelled 'strava run' I would have looked for a Strava, try to decide if it is intent on eating me, and if so, run!! Now, I'll probably just look at them funny, think of dain2772's post and have a quiet chuckle.

reckon akashra/borizuka/?? are right, dickheads increase risk to riders and other trail users, not a (potentially fun if not abused or taken overly seriously) bike nerd timing system...

happy trails, whether a strava be chasin' your ass or not...

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK.... so boulder is a two way trail... if I am going to ride up it I am definitely going to give way! its too technical a trail not to let the person coming down to have right of way. You would end up causing an accident. And you dont have to be going that fast when rocks and obstacles are involved to have an accident.
true but if i'm riding down I have got to ride knowing someone could be riding up, that's the reality of a shared network.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
FYI,
I am heading to the stockyards side of the You Yangs tomorrow morning between 7am & 11am, to smash out some strava times. So those that are looking to go out there please don't arrive before 11am. I just don't want anyone in my way, for the fear of having to slow down and therefore wreck my strava run times.

Otherwise the Karrajong side will be free so go over there.

cheers
Quiggs :)

sidetrack

Likes Dirt
So basically strava is a timing method that lets you tell the world about how slow you have just done a particular track? What a wank. Let real racing do your talking.

neil thompson

Likes Dirt
Actually, the rules are give way to ME. So look out!

Enlightening thread! before reading this, if anyone yelled 'strava run' I would have looked for a Strava, try to decide if it is intent on eating me, and if so, run!! Now, I'll probably just look at them funny, think of dain2772's post and have a quiet chuckle.

reckon akashra/borizuka/?? are right, dickheads increase risk to riders and other trail users, not a (potentially fun if not abused or taken overly seriously) bike nerd timing system...

happy trails, whether a strava be chasin' your ass or not...
So funny maybe some type of kanga rooster jumping out I mite have thought. Now I know.
And what is a KOM.
Im over 50 and need help.

neil thompson

Likes Dirt
King Of Mountain :)

or maybe...

Knob On Mountain:fat:

No King Of The Mountain is or was Peter Brock.
Wow have things changed.

Had a look at the web sight some of the training information for my personal improvement and stats dose look like a good thing.

shakes

Likes Dirt
The rider that can stop and re-start the easiest should have the courtesy to give way. Who cares whats written, your riding up a fun flowy downhill based trail? let the oncoming rider have his fun, your likely to hear them well before they are on you and see you. Come out into the start of a rock/root garden and someway is struggling peddaling up it? Have the patience to wait.

From years of riding motorbikes it's been drummed into me to only ride as fast as you can see. IE - if you cant see around that corner make sure you can safely stop BEFORE the corner and pick your speed and to some extent your line/exit strategy to suit. Bit hard with the redmist/whiteline fever etc but has saved me on alot of occasions.

WildWassa

Banned
Strava run ... get out of the way!!! (then) You just f***ed my strava run!!!

(Appropriate responce) Go shuvv your KOM up your apps!!!

Warren.

PS, If you remain deluded and think KOM is King of the Mountain ... NO, it does mean Knob on Mountain.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
FYI,
I am heading to the stockyards side of the You Yangs tomorrow morning between 7am & 11am, to smash out some strava times. So those that are looking to go out there please don't arrive before 11am. I just don't want anyone in my way, for the fear of having to slow down and therefore wreck my strava run times.

Otherwise the Karrajong side will be free so go over there.

cheers
Quiggs :)
Man, had I known earlier I would have set up a picnic table in the middle of cressy descent just to slow you down :)

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I give way, regardless of whether I'm going up, coming down or on a Strava run. I create the world in which I want to live. Stuff what anyone else thinks.

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am guilty of pushing hard on sections that I know are timed on STRAVA but if I encounter anyone on the trail I abort my fast lap and continue at a more gentle pace.
It's the luck of the game....
Which seems like a very sensible thing to do, as most people would.

Is 'Strava Run' the new 'Race Leader'?
Both are well deserved of a gentle nudge into the nearest tree.

sorry mate, but you're a dickhead...what makes you think you can stop descending at 50km/h (?) to give way to a kid coming around the corner or a bushwalker coming the other way....trails outside races are not race tracks....i dont ride in the royal NP proper anymore as there are so many blind spots, and so many weekend warriors fangin' it...

"it's the luck of the game"???WTF???....are you saying that someone out bushwalking/riding should expect that they may be injured by someone riding too fast for the conditions?? The "luck of the game" is that you should expect to get injured out on the race track (and deal with the consequences), not dabbing along a two way trail on a lazy sunday ride....geeez

ps- I dont have a problem with road KOM timed runs ...hard for those to be dangerous
I think you should think about who the dickhead is. Riding hard then slowing down around other riders seems like common sense to me, unless I am missing something?

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
Would everyone be less offended if someone yelled "Garmin Virtual Training Partner Run"? I don't know about everyone else, but I've hammer trails up and down w/o trying to beat my computer.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
No time to post. Strava!

I think it's fine really.

Tracks are there to be ridden as hard as a rider can safely ride.
If it's a shared trail with walkers then I say keep the strava off it.
But for general purpose trails it's fair game if you are racing time trial style on your own.

It's also another reason for ALL riders to brush up on their trail etiquette.

The only problems that could really arise from this are people injuring themselves by pushing themselves beyond their limits (has been happening since man has existed), or from idiots doing stupid stuff like changing a tube on the middle of the track, or stopping to bunch up and all have a chat on a fast corner.

If your'e not riding, get off the track.

If you are riding, get educated on your trail etiquette and there should be no more problems than there has always been.

I don't do Strava, but I do know that every time I do a run I try and pin it better then I did before. Same result. Me going as fast as I can (within my limits) on appropriate trails.

Last edited:

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think a little bit of common sense needs to be used when creating a segment on Strava. This morning we rode our local track in reverse as we knew there was no one else around plus it is fairly open so you can see people coming. But, there is no way I will create a segment on Strava to do it in reverse as the risks are to high for lots of people trying to do a strava run on it in reverse.